Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 02-19-2008, 01:33 PM

Default Skunked!

Daniel,
Hope you did better last weekend. I was up there as well and found the fish slow, one decent brown on a streamer. I had a friend over from Franklin and he did better, caught a 20 male on a streamer! He said the fish was on fire, hitting the streamer several before finally eating! We stayed Sunday and I fished Monday as well. One fish but a good one; 23-24" chromer, didnt have my tape! The high water and the full moon must have brought in a few more fish! I will post a picture this evening. Next weekend is the last weekend before NC closes the creek and most others for the month of march. I have never seen these fish in the creek after the first Saturday in April, it fishes pretty well though between the stockers and resident fish.
Best,
John
Let me know when you come up again, if I am around maybe we can get together.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:36 PM

Default Sorry about the name!

You didn't say your first name. Must've had "Daniel" on the brain.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:43 PM

I arrived late Friday night and camped close to the junction in site 10. I spent Saturday fishing up-stream from 10. After a great sleep in old # 10, I fished down-stream on Sunday until about 1:30. I fished mostly streamers and egg patterns, but not a single hook-up!. That just makes me more determined... I will be back this coming Sunday to take a last try. I'm thinking about fishing closer to the lake. Any advice?

Thanks,
Dave.

Last edited by DHauck; 02-19-2008 at 03:44 PM.. Reason: forgot name
Old 02-19-2008, 06:30 PM

Is Snowbird creek closed where the campsites are for the month of March too?
Old 02-19-2008, 10:15 PM

Default More of the run

Allright this years run has been insanity! I have landed 4 of the largest trout of my life this winter. I thought the run was over, but in all the excitement I had forgotten the effect of the moon phases and high water on these fish. I still say I have yet to see one in April, but usually they are there until the end of February. I am betting the the fish were sulking in the low(er) clear(er) water....I probably should have tried lighter tippet and smaller flies. With the new moon and the increased flows (1.5" of rain Saturday) fresh fish entered the creek. I can't list my runs on this site, but will tell you that I fish below the confluence of Little and Big Snowbirds. This is a Little River sized creek at this point, maybe a little larger (maybe not). You want to look for any larger deeper runs, maybe the water slows or the bottom darkens (due to depth). Sandy bottom is a definate plus, but depth and slower flow are at least as important. There are destinations and holding water and both are good. The destinations are the bigger slower spots with everything (sand, depth, and slower flow). Look for bend pools with depth. The water right below the confluence of Little and big Snowbird is good water, try that. I am sure the fish go up Big Snowbird as well, I just don't fish up there alot.
Marktronic, the creek is closed all the way to the junction (where the road dead ends) from March 1st until the 1st Saturday in April. Above the junction, the wild trout regs take effect and that part of the stream does not close.......... ever! A few pics of latest efforts,
http://bl133w.blu133.mail.live.com/m...7&n=1383616519, Hope that worked! Tried to copy from email, should be Steve Baker with the beautiful buck he caught.
http://bl133w.blu133.mail.live.com/m...1&n=1607596843, This is a close up of the fish, full of colors, been in the creek a little while. A few more.......... This was a 23 or 24" fish with the shoulders the lord never gave me! Took a size 8 tungsten stone fished about 5' below a big indicator, I hooked one more I am sure was as large in that run about 30 minutes later but lost it after a couple of fierce head shakes! The fins were perfect save for a little damage thrashing around in the net.
Give the fly plenty of time to sink. Pick out a target and put the fly 10 -30 feet above it to give ample time to sink.
Best of luck, if you see my old blue wagoneer, come find me. I hope to get the Sunday as well.
Tight lines,
John
Old 02-19-2008, 10:29 PM

Default One more note and few more pics

I need to say about that last fish........ I hooked one or two more that day, but that was the only fish I landed in 3 hours of fishing, so don't expect big numbers and you might be pleasantly surprised. Here is one funny example; these fish were caught on consecutive casts from the same hole. It took about six minutes to land, photograph and rerig and cast. I fished two hours, and caught these fish in the last 12 minutes of the morning's fishing!, ,, these fish were 16 to almost 20 inches! Persistence pays, plenty of fishless times.
Best,
John
Old 02-24-2008, 02:41 AM

Send a message via AIM to Flytnn
Default Awesome Fish Here!

John,

We met at the Creel the other day. My name is John. Anyway, thanks so much for all of the advice that you had. It made a huge difference for me, seeing as I caught the biggest trout I have ever caught period. Fished for about the first thirty minutes with that yellow stone and the egg dropper, but my casting was horrible with all that weight, so I "dropped" the dropper and just fished the stone. Probably the third or fourth cast is when it hit. By the way, I was fishing at the very bottom next to the rock cliff you told me about right out from the picnic table. He hit it right in the deep run. Fought hard and it was so much fun. The rest of the day was zero, but it didn't matter. It was definitely a slow day, but always great. Thanks again for all of the info. I had to take a pic and post it on here. I am a proud man today. Good luck tomorrow. Let me know how it is.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:02 AM

That's a great fish. Congrats! I fished the creek on Sunday; downstream from the GTE utility building to just above the Robinson's. I brought two small rainbows to hand, but the hightlight was a beautiful brown - maybe 15 inches. He came out of the water twice and excercised the drag mechanism on my reel! Great fun!

So, are there opportunities to chase the steelhead after the stream re-opens? Also - I spoke to a local who said that the pike will move into the creeks as the water warms. Thoughts?
Old 02-25-2008, 10:17 AM

Default Big Fish!

John,
Congratulations on that fish, I bet that did make your day (would have made mine)! That was a chrome beauty, fresh from the lake! We went over Sunday landed one fish that went 18-20", didn't tape it. He was a really colorful male, full of milt (sp?). I had forgotten my camera, so the pic was taken with a film disposable, I'll post it when I get the film developed. Spoke with an older gentlemen I have seen on the creek this winter. I figured he had some luck in the past since he was carrying a big net (like a bass net for the boat!)
I asked him how he had done this winter; he said that since October he had landed 10 fish and his best was 8.5 lb! Anyway, glad you bagged that one! As I said; I don't often catch more than one or two in a day.
Best,
John
Old 02-25-2008, 10:24 AM

Default D Hauck

Dave,
Sorry to have missed you, glad you caught that nice brown. I have seen very few this winter, the ones I have caught have been in the 9-12" range. I was over there Sunday, we were in a black pick-up. Sorry to have missed you.
Best,
John