Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 02-25-2008, 10:26 AM

Default D Hauck

Walleye Pike in the creek. Never caught one, I doubt they get over the dams, so they would be in the first two miles of the creek. I know they do typically spawn in rivers though.
Best,
John
Old 03-03-2008, 12:50 PM

I'm new to this forum and have read your posts on Snowbird. I plan to fish the upper stream in April and would like information if you would be so kind.

On a topographic map, I see a trail from Dentons to Junction. It looks like that is a shorter path to the upper stream than the trail that follows the creek. Would you be willing comment on the trails and which might be better to access the upper reaches?

Thanks...
Old 03-03-2008, 04:52 PM

Smile Snowbird Access

I will have to look at a map before I comment. I have talked to people who ride 4 wheelers back that way, they say you can ride very close to Snowbird in the fire roads. That may be what you are seeing. hard to imagine that would work though because you are in a different drainage at the Dentons. I think you will have to cross a mountain or at least a saddle to get there. Honestly don't know though, hopefully I will at least have my gazateer at the house. You can drive to the junction though, unless you are talking about another junction. From there it is about 5 miles on an old rail grade. It is rarely steep, but 5 miles is a hump! (for me )
Best,
John
Old 03-03-2008, 06:14 PM

Jswitow, the March/April edition of Eastern Fly Fishing has a detailed story of the Western NC streams, including Snowbird. There's nothing like advertisement.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:41 PM

Default Advertising

I haven't received my copy yet, anxious to see it. I wonder who wrote the article? I just finished "My Father's Waters" by Ben Mattingly jr, a fine book. Have you ever met him. He must be from Somerset or near there.
Thanks for the heads up,
John
Old 03-04-2008, 02:13 PM

I think Mr. Mattingly is from around the Burkesville area. I have never met him but thoroughly enjoyed the book.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:28 AM

Default Permit91

Hey,
I looked at the Gazatteer. The trail from Dentons looks like it will take you to a spot a little further uptrail from the Junction. You will have hiked a couple of miles and gained alot of elevation to that point. I am going to guess the you will gain about 1,200 ft going over that ridge. You can drive to the Junction and walk from there, it is about five miles to Middle Falls. Big Falls is the first real barrier for the rainbows and they don't get over it, worth the climb down. There are campsites just past Sassafras Creek (3.5 miles), then a couple more above big falls by about a mile or mile and half.

I can't give difinitive info about Denton's access or trail, having never been through that area.
Best,
John
Old 03-05-2008, 10:36 AM

Default Snowbird access

Thanks for the information. If I can drive to the Junction, it doesn't make sense to hike from Dentons.

What's the seven-ish mile hike like from the Junction to the second falls? Is that something reasonable to do round trip in a day and fish a mile or so upstream too? I'm looking for native Brook Trout for pictures then quick release.

How big is the water?

Thanks,

Doug
Old 03-05-2008, 04:15 PM

Default 2nd falls Day Hike

I don't think its that far. Second falls is about five miles. You would want to leave real early! But I guess you could do it, how fit are you? 2.5 hours in, maybe less, 1.5 out. It's mostly an old rail grade. Last year or year before we made the second falls on a loop hike, pretty sure it was about 10 miles.
Best,
John
Old 03-05-2008, 06:43 PM

I did it as a day hike several years ago. At that time, a reasonably fit 55 year old. I don't recall it being too tough. Maybe that's because the fishing certainly made up for whatever aches and pains I felt.