Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 03-05-2008, 07:22 PM

'mostly old rail grade' so a guy could ride a mountain bike up and back?
Old 03-08-2008, 04:44 PM

Default Bullwinkle,

They don't allow mountain bikes on that trail. I would do it otherwise.
Sorry,
John
Old 03-08-2008, 04:46 PM

Default Permit 91

How big is the water? Petty big, about the largest brookie only stream I have fished. I would bet average width up there is 20-30 feet.
Best,
John
Old 03-25-2008, 05:46 PM

Smile

So we can't fish snowbird till april? the web says open all year. are there campgrounds around the creek after the five miles in? thanks!!!
pharmer
Old 03-25-2008, 09:35 PM

Default Pharmer: Reply

Hey Pharmer,
The back country is open year round, the part of the creek which closes in the month of March is just the hatchery supported lower section.
From the junction on upstream is all wild trout water. There are campsites on the way back through the back country. Some are just above sassafras creek and further on you will find campsites just past the next bridge crossing on the creek.
I fished the beginning of the backcountry last weekend for a couple of hours and managed a big goose egg. I guess I covered a 1/2 mile, maybe no more than a quarter. I threw several sizes of drys and several nymphs. I think the full moon makes daytime feeding scarce (couldn't have been the fisherman!). Water was pretty cool, 42 degrees when I left. It would have been colder still on up the creek. It is beautiful up there, even in the first part of the backcountry there are no fisherman's trails. It is a steep gorge, full of rhododenrons (sp?). I should post some pictures. It is the kind of place you either have to go out the way you came or fish upstream until you find some sort of spring or seep, where the vegetation is thinner. I fished up to a big hole, I bet it was 20 feet deep. There was a wide path back to the main trail from that hole, which I bet was (maybe still is) a swimming hole. The water is really falling fast through the gorge and the water was running about 8-10" above normal flow, deafeningly loud! Matter fact the rain gauge showed 6" inches of rain in the three weeks were missed getting over!Anyway, good luck if you go, the full moon is on the wane, will probably be gone in a couple of days. You can get your fishing license and any last minute supplies at Robinson's Store, about 1.5 miles below the confluence of little and big Snowbirds, that is your last opportunity. Katies kitchen on Dick's Branch has good food and awesome fried trout dinners. Hope you enjoy yourself
Best,
John
Old 03-25-2008, 11:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

Just got my Eastern Fly Fishing magazine in today's mail. Excellent article on Snowbird, Hazel and the upper Tuckasegee. Great little locater map and directions along with some handy tips and contact info.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:41 PM

Default Question about distances on Snowbird

I guess this question would be targetted toward our Snowbird Sage (jswitow)...

John, the article that Gerry is talking about mentions that the hike from the end of FR75 (Junction) to Big Falls is 5 miles and that its 7 miles to Middle Falls. Is that true? According to one of your posts from last year, you thought its was around 3.5 to Big Falls, and from Junction to Upper falls about 5 miles. (Middle Falls would be 4.3miles?)
http://littleriveroutfitters.com/for...ead.php?t=8030 (post#3)

I like your mileages a lot better, and they seem to more closely correlate to the Trails Illustrated Map (#784), but the map doesn't have distances (like #229), so I can only estimate.

Have you hiked it before? Can fishing above the Middle falls be done in a day trip?

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 03-26-2008, 11:03 PM

Default Distances up to the back country

Pete,
I'm sorry but cannot tell you for certain. Better trust their distances. I think my recollection was about 5 miles to middle falls, but we were just hiking around the loop. Am pretty sure it took 1 hr-45 mins to get out to the Junction from Middle Falls. If you are in shape you can do it. Get an early start so you really don't have to bust it back there. 2 hours 15 mins in; get there by 6:30 and be in by 9:00 am, fish until the sun drops behind the ridge, still a couple of hours before dark. I wouldn't do it alone, but thats me, I have grown more cautious with age and family! The first falls is pretty hard to get a look at and will cost you 30 mins if you do it. It is beautiful though.
Best,
John
Old 03-27-2008, 10:24 PM

thanks jswitow. planning trip late april. how's the trail out? steep grade? planning to go in and come out same day.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:18 PM

Default Trail Out

Easy walk, an old rail grade, very few exceptions. Once you cross Sassafras Creek it is a walk on a wide trail. April ought to be prime time.

Hope your day is a good one and the fish jump all over your offerings!
John