Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 10-28-2008, 11:16 AM

John,

After reading your reports of the past year (or two) on a recent trip to the Nantahala, a friend and I went to look at Snowbird. I saw a lot of private property and am a little confused about where it is I should fish. I understand little and big snowbird are two different creeks which run together for a stretch and then empty into the lake. Is there a specific section where these fish run, and is there public access there? Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I am planning on making it over there sometime this winter. you can email me at: ttas67@gmail.com
Old 10-28-2008, 01:00 PM

Pete,

Never say never, LOL. I would like to check out Snowbird sometime. Around 6-7 yrs ago I drove to the trailhead to check it out, the only thing that disturbed me was the people who had old couches and chairs setup in the camping spots along the gravel road. I just thought it was a junky area, looked like the Forest Service had no control over use of the area. Has that change? Irregardless I would like to check out the Brookie water and the lower section as well.

Neal
Old 10-28-2008, 10:01 PM

Default Along the Road to Junction

Neal, I'm not sure what the regs are in the campsites along the creek, but there are some old campers that look like they have been setup 2-3 year ago, or more, with blue tarps covering old buses, etc. Its quite an interesting site. I'm not sure if they have lifetime camping passes, or what. Anyone know the deal?

Anyway, the trail is really nice (and quite easy, but long). I will definitely give the brookie a section another shot next May. I will post a couple weeks before I go and see if you (or anyone else) would like to try the "Daytrip from **** III"...

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 10-29-2008, 08:53 AM

Default Snowbird Campsite access

The sites are first come first serve. I think though may be wrong that the stay is two weeks in the camp sites. Those campers that are there seemingly permanently are not in posted campsites (don't think). I think they are actually on private property, though not posted. If they are where I think they are the road was actually moved a couple of years ago away from the creek, those campers are on the old road. They may be squatters but I don't think so. It is a shame though the trash that is often left by those who camp up there, makes you question their morality. This time of year though you rarely see anyone on the creek, sometimes there are hunters camping up there (bear or boar). Those people hunt in the Snowbird backcountry. If you are up there this time of year you might want to take a blaze orange hat (in your pack), just in case!
Here is a number for camping info for the Cheoah Ranger District; 828 479-6431. They told me 14 day limit in the campsites.
Best,
John
Old 10-29-2008, 09:00 AM

Pete,

I would defintely be interested in giving Snowbird a try. I plan on getting a NC fishing license next year since I want to explore some new water, including the streams in the Pisgah National Forest. Hopefully, NC doesn't raise the license cost like TN as it's pretty affordable for non-residents.

Neal
Old 02-16-2009, 03:49 PM

Default Fishing the Winter Run

I've not posted this season, wonder if many got over to try it? This year's run was the best I have seen in 7 years. I wonder what next year will be like because so many fish were taken this year, the creek was busy this winter with people catching and most keeping their fish. If they managed to spawn before being harvested, then it will be good still in a couple of years. I just really know so little about this run, whether the stockings are even on-going is an unknown. This year was good, as I said; quite a few fish in the 20+ inch range, best was 23". Lost one I bet would have gone 27" (it went cartwheeling across the pool and threw my streamer!) and heard of several that big or bigger this season. The run seems to be about over though, the fish are much more scarce now than a month ago. I will fish until the end of Feb since the creek will be closed the month of March. This season the steelhead were much more prevalent, you can see the fish with the sparse spotting below the lateral line (steelhead) vs. the fish with the more normal rainbow spotting, typically the rainbows are thicker as well. February 16, 2009

This fish took a T&A Rainbow, or a rattlesnake.

This hen took an egg.

Big Bow on an egg.

Beautiful chromer took an egg.

Same fish with proud angler! His first, probably on his second cast too.

Another fish that took an egg.

Terrible picture of a beautiful male (see next photo of his head) Rhododendrons were so thick I couldn't lay it out for a decent photo.

Note the kype.

I have to stop the post here. Will post one more.......
Old 02-16-2009, 03:53 PM

Default Cont. post.

Another fish on a streamer with sinking line.

Water has been cold since thanks giving, it was warmer last weekend and the smaller fish seemed more active, though still not terribly so.

Another on the egg, took three from one hole in 15 mins time. The only fish I took from that particular hole all winter. They are very transient!

I had hoped the full moon would bring in a fresh batch of aggressive fish, fish that would take streamers. Didn't seem to be the case though. May have been that the water never really got up during the last moon cycle. If I could speak trout, I could be sure!

If anyone else went, let us hear about it.

Best,

John
Old 02-16-2009, 10:10 PM

Default Wow!

John -

Incredible fish! Hadn't thought about it being that time. Doesn't seem like it's been a year since I visited your creek.

sb
Old 02-18-2009, 05:42 PM

Default Been a year!

Steve,
Time does fly (whether we're having fun... or not) anymore! You want to try to get over before the end of Feb, let me know. I still need to take you up on a tour of the Caney.
Hope you are well,
John
Old 02-18-2009, 11:14 PM

Default Snowbird or Caney

John -

I'd love to come over if there are any fish left in the crick. And anytime you want, we can float the Caney.

sb