Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 08-14-2009, 10:06 PM

Default Snowbird in the Summer

Spent a week's vacation over on Snowbird the third week of July. The fishing was decent, not great. Everyone I spoke said they were catching little fish, there do seem to be a lot of little wild fish this year, a welcome change from the last two years, where the fish were getting mosquito bites on their backs! Water temps never warmer than 63 whle we were there. I was getting a little low, didn't rain the whole week, well one brief shower over-night..... which brought out some better fish. I did manage a few decent fish, and nearly all on dries..... mostly golden stones. Pix aren't the greatest, sorry.
Big Snowbird backcountry.

Pretty little bow
Old 08-14-2009, 10:22 PM

Default Oops hit the wrong key

Hit the post key by mistake. Here are a few more......
Decent brown, took a ..... stone dry.

This was a good brown, ~ 15", nailed a big golden stone dry, the morning after the rain.

My little buddy with his spinning rod.....

One for the fiberglass fans! Don't think I'm giving up my g's though .

Baby Steelhead! No par markings.

Decent bow on a pale yellow Elk Hair caddis, basically a pale yellow sally

Parting Shot.
Sorry so long.
John
Old 08-15-2009, 10:11 AM

Jswitow--Interesting photos, and I assume you realize that they represent precisely what you can expect on Big Snowbird (and I would remind all readers that there are two Snowbird Creeks, Big and Little) anywhere up to the Junction. For viewers, in case you have trouble distinguising between wild fish and dough bellies (hatchery fish), the first brown is a wild one and the second a stocked fish; the first rainbow is a stocked fish and the second a wild one. Look at them and you will see several distinguishing characteristics. Even lower Big Snowbird has a decent population of wild trout, although I personally prefer to fish above the Junction (end of road where there was once a railroad turnaround and also end of stocked area). Jim Casada
Old 08-17-2009, 08:24 AM

This thread continues to be my favorite. Keep up the good work John.

One question.....seems like in the past you have mentioned that you and your wife stay in a cabin when visiting for extended periods of time, is this still the case? and is that a cabin you own or a rental?
Old 08-17-2009, 09:32 AM

Default Cabin on Snowbird

Granny Knot,
Thank you for your kind words! Jim, I will defer to your expertise. I held that larger brown just long enough to get the pic, then put him back. But looking at it, it appears to be a tiger trout (brook/brown cross), as the spots are not circular. That is the first one of those I have ever caught!

As for the cabin; We do have a cabin over there (us and the bank!). We do rent it occasionally, if you would like some information, or to see pics, you are welcome to send me an email at jswitow@hotmail.com. It sits right on Snowbird, about a mile below the confluence of Big and Little Snowbirds.

Thanks,
John
Old 09-30-2009, 01:48 AM

Default Current info

Hi Jswitow and others,

Some friends and I are planning to do some camping/fishing around this area either the middle of October or November; and I am looking for any info I can get. We are considering either Snowbird or Joyce Kilmer. I have been to both; but haven't fished either. For this time of year, which would be your destination? I know Slickrock is a popular destination-- although I've heard it is not fishing as well as it used to. What about Deep Creek (the JK one, not the Smokies one)? Or the Cheoah between Santeetlah and the Little Tennessee? If we were to go to JK, these are the creeks I'm thinking about-- would anybody advise differently? Would we better off just camping beside Big Snowbird (we will probably hike in)? Would you recommend concentrating our efforts above or below Big Falls (Mouse Creek Falls, I believe...) Also, if I was planning two trips-- one in October and one in November-- which would you spend in the JK/Snowbird area and which in the Smokies?

Thanks in advance...
Old 09-30-2009, 02:20 PM

Default Thoughts on where to fish and camp.

I will take a little time and respond this evening.
Thanks,
John
Old 09-30-2009, 06:56 PM

BMC--I see jswitow plans to respond, and he may have a different take (if he does I'm betting he hasn't fished the National Forest portion of Big Snowbird in the time frame you mention, but my guess is he'll know whereof I speak). Anyway, I'll put my two cents worth in as well. You do not, repeat DO NOT, want to plan a camping trip on Big Snowbird for the period from October 15 until the end of November. Why? Bear and wild hog season opens on October 15 and for the ensuing weeks there will be hunters, lost dogs, dogs running game in the middle of the night, hunters huntign dogs in the middle of the night, and something approaching chaos up and down the watershed. If you were planning on a campsite along the road, forget it, and even in the backcountry you'd have little peace.
To a lesser degree that's going to be true all over National Forest land in Graham County. That leaves you with one basic option, if you really want to be in this part of WNC. Consider camping on Twentymile Creek and maybe make a motor trip elsewhere once or twice (not that Twentymile is bad, mind you), or concentrate your fishing on lower Big Snowbird and maybe West Buffalo if it has enough water. Forget Big Santeetlah this time of year, and my local sources tell me otters have wrought sheer havoc there anyway. Slickrock, for whatever reason, has declined a great deal in the last decade.
Personally, I'd forget Graham County until next spring and go somewhere in the Park. There's maybe one rather special exception and (hope you'll forgive me), it's one of those places I'm just not going to share. As Grandpa Joe used to say: "A man's got to have some secrets" (and a couple of fishing buddies in Graham County would emasculate me, or worse, should I say more).
Jim Casada

www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 10-01-2009, 02:09 AM

Hi Jim-- thanks for the reply.

The main reason I was looking at a destination outside of the park is that my springer spaniel is my number one hiking partner. I promised her I wouldn't take two consecutive trips to the park; and my last trip was to Eagle Creek. I may have to lie to her, LOL. I was thinking hunting season didn't start until later. Believe me, I understand the problems that come with all of the dogs-- we spent a week on Slickrock where every second was spent keeping dogs out of our tents, off of our tents, out of our packs, and out of our chow. Plus, my little springer is no match for them. She will be heartbroken though, as she loves camping and hiking more than cat turds.

You suggested Twentymile-- is that just because it is closer to the areas I inquired about? Am I correct that there is no campground at Twentymile? Is CS93 the best option? If I was willing to go anywhere in the park, is that where you would suggest? I have never hiked or fished there, so it would be new to me. But there are alot of areas in the park that will be new to me still. I am still interested in hearing from Jswitow (possibly adjusted for a different time frame); but should I move questions related to the park to another forum?
Old 10-01-2009, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmc View Post
Hi Jim-- thanks for the reply.

The main reason I was looking at a destination outside of the park is that my springer spaniel is my number one hiking partner. I promised her I wouldn't take two consecutive trips to the park; and my last trip was to Eagle Creek. I may have to lie to her, LOL. I was thinking hunting season didn't start until later. Believe me, I understand the problems that come with all of the dogs-- we spent a week on Slickrock where every second was spent keeping dogs out of our tents, off of our tents, out of our packs, and out of our chow. Plus, my little springer is no match for them. She will be heartbroken though, as she loves camping and hiking more than cat turds.

You suggested Twentymile-- is that just because it is closer to the areas I inquired about? Am I correct that there is no campground at Twentymile? Is CS93 the best option? If I was willing to go anywhere in the park, is that where you would suggest? I have never hiked or fished there, so it would be new to me. But there are alot of areas in the park that will be new to me still. I am still interested in hearing from Jswitow (possibly adjusted for a different time frame); but should I move questions related to the park to another forum?
bmc--I suggested Twentymile solely because it was nearby. There's a backcountry campground at Upper Flats, but nothing frontcountry-wise. It would not, by any means, be my first choice in the Park. A real good frontcountry choice for your time frame, IMO, would be Smokemont--lots of streams nearby from which to choose (Bradley Fork, Chasteen Creek, Luftee, Kephart Prong, Beech Flats Prong, Straight Fork). Jim Casada