Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 12-20-2009, 07:02 PM

David,

I am thinking about heading that way either the Mon or Tues after Christmas. Let me know if you are interested and we could ride over together.

John,

I still want to go over there and fish with you sometime, so the offer extends to you sir as well.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/
Old 12-21-2009, 09:57 AM

Travis, I might be up for that...I'll shoot you an email...

John, I had your phone number but lost it at some point. If you could shoot me an email I am interested in fishing over there sometime in the next week or two...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://troutzoneanglers.com
http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com

Old 12-21-2009, 10:36 AM

Default Plateau and ChemE

Gentlemen,
I should be over there, call or shoot me an email if you do head that way. I did fish yesterday for a couple of hours. Got a late start and ended up fishing from 1:30-4:30. The water was high, but clear, and 40 degrees. Landed 4 fish, largest 15". Hooked and lost (on the first jump) a big fish (22-24"). I had it on long enough to feel two or three good head shakes and then the jump! Never really got in the fight, it was over that quick !
Merry Christmas!
John
Old 01-09-2010, 07:39 PM

Default Snowbird Steelhead and Miscellaneous

Well folks; I am somewhat afraid the run is not what it was last year.... It couldn't be that my fishing abilities are lacking! Really it may not be any worse than last year, but that my memories are making last year seem so good. The fishing was really pretty good until the Alberta Clipper clipped my success ratio severely! We spent the Monday (after Christmas) through Sunday following New Year's over there, and did a fair amount of fishing, save for one day when the boss wanted to go exploring down toward Brasstown and points south. Seems the first full day we were was pretty cold and rainy, and I just didn't "man up" and hit the creek that day. The second day however was another matter and I finally got to the business at hand........ Don't have any notes, and took few pics save for the lakerun fish that were caught. There were a lot of stockers in the creek and some wild rainbows (and a few browns) about. I ran into the gentlemen who told me in the first place about the Steelhead, he has been married 50 years now and still fishes quite a bit during the season. I hope I am able, if I make his age. Anyway he confirmed that there are a lot of stocked fish in the stream this year. Evidently this summer there was a SNAFU and there were few fish stocked. Instead they made up for it this winter.
I managed to fish a little with my wife and son, she caught three fish , my son got the goose egg........ come to think of it so did I until they got cold and headed for the house. Then the "serious" fishing began. My feet were so cold by the time I got out of the creek that I nearly cried when I got out and started walking back to the cabin. I stuck a large fish that day, and lost it on the jump, arrrgggh! But I had a few good head shakes and a jump, I think he winked at me on the way down too. Anyway small fish were the rule of the day save for one landed by Grayson H (using my rod for that matter!) . I will post more after dinner... it's on the table!
Old 01-10-2010, 08:23 PM

Default More from the "Not-So" Wilds of North Carolina

Alright dinner was yesterday and it was good! The little woman fixed Salmon filets, with basil pesto on top, cheese grits made with chicken broth, (never had them made with chicken broth and they were awesome!) along with spinach with canadian bacon and balsamic vinegar. I was a member of the clean plate club. I don't know what I did to rate that yesterday, and am afraid to ask. Back to the fishing....
the rest of the week was not bad, the big fish however to seem to be more scarce this year. But they are there and a few were landed. I am guessing the high water and the full moon had fresh, aggressive fish in the creek, for swung streamers seemed to be the tactic of choice for the steelhead and lake run fish. I didn't fish them as much as the stone/egg rig, but it brought more of the big fish out to play. A couple of tactics were used, and here they are; 1st was using a weighted streamer out of convenience when the standard rig didn't produce and light was short. I clipped off my 9' leader down to ~5' and tied on a bellyache minnow (platte river). It has some weight to it, so will work reasonably well with a floating line. Swung through runs that don't produce with the nymph rig. It is similar to a Zonker, but the color is yellow and red, rides hook up size 2. . This fish slammed that streamer a little after 5:00pm that day, fading light. That fish went berserk in the 38 degree water. You can figure that cutting a 9', 2x leader to 5'; I had plenty of line to lean on.
The other nice fish I caught while over (there) was fishing a long run as I imagine you would blindly fish a steelhead river, swinging streamers with a 200 grain line. This fish was caught 30-40 yards down a long steady run that has some depth to it, it is shelf rock but still good holding water, not spawning water, no gravel. This fish hit a Galloup's Butt Sump which is a sculpin pattern with a wool rather than elk hair head. I think it gets a little deeper than say a Zoo Cougar, but they work well too, in yellow or more golden brown, size 4. . This fish was right at 20" and absolutely chrome bright.
With the weather warming this week, the fish ought to be really in the mood to smash something, so I hope some of you can get over there and partake! I may make it over Saturday, but I am hearing snow is forecast by then ....... arrrggghhh. But... the first rule to catching..... is being there, with the line in the water!
Tight lines,
John
Old 01-11-2010, 06:47 PM

Default New to Snowbird

I just finished reading all the reports on this thread from 2006 to present. I have really enjoyed reading everyones reports on this watershed. As I have not had a chance to visit Snowbird I have some very basic question I hope someone would not mind helping with. Just starting my research.

Reading through the reports I think I understand that some of the Lake Run trout fishing is at the confluence of Little Snowbird and Big Snowbird all the way to the lake. What I am still trying to get a clearer understanding of is the stocked trout section and the wild brook trout backcountry section on Big Snowbird? If that is the case than what does little snowbird offer above the confluence of big snowbird if anything?

I have looked up this area on the Google Maps and used the terrain view trying to get a better understanding but this has been somewhat generic. I have also looked at the NC Dot web page trying to download a GIS Topo of this area but have not been able to find the right download location yet. I did find a county quad description section for Graham county and I think I should be looking for something in the Santeetlah Creek and/or the Robbinsville quod. I have been somewhat challenged finding the correct place to download any topo.

If anyone has a PDF or other format of a map for this area that might help make things a little more clearer I would really appreciate any help at this point in my fact finding. It would be great to find a map that also shows the water falls and maybe the backcountry campsites if available. I am sure I could purchase a good map but its always nice to get a good idea about the area before purchasing.

Anyone that has created their own map with all the major honey holes included would be great. just kidding, not really.

Thanks again for posting this great forum. Snowbird is defiantly on my Bucket list.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:46 PM

Smile 2 cents for Mac...plus one more photo!

Mac,
Map with major honey holes... it's in the mail! Now about Little Snowbird; I have fished it very little. Most of LS is posted as Tribal waters of the Eastern Band of the Cherokee. There is a large section that is posted as owned by some private club(?), about 2 miles I think. It is about half the size of big Snowbird and the source of most of the silt in Snowbird, which is what the creek is called below the confluence of Big and Little. I am a Louisvillian and UK grad, you make it down, I will be happy to show you around. Read the posts, most of the trouble is getting there... Once there get rigged up and start fishing. Look for the darker water and fish big, heavy stoneflies, or streamers with some weight, or a sinking line. One more fish, landed by Grayson Huskins; IMG]http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m149/jswitow/WinterRunFish2009-2010-MISC019.jpg[/IMG]
Tight lines,
John
Old 01-11-2010, 09:50 PM

Default Must have plugged in the wrong link....

. Hope this one works!
Best,
John
Old 01-25-2010, 03:42 PM

Unhappy Report from the "other side".

Well I don't have any more pictures to show, I have to say the run seems to be greatly reduced this season, got to have some excuse!.... and just speculation, but this may be the result of the draughts of 07 & 08?
I made it over last weekend and the weekend before. The weekend before we caught quite a few fish but no lake runs. Last weekend we caught just a few fish and no lakeruns, though I did choke on a couple. One that looked to be 17 or 18" (with a Napoleonic complex!) fought me for about 5 minutes......strong fish. I decided that I must have been nursing that one though and tried to horse it. Well I got its head up and headed for the net, when it shook its head one more time, mouth open, pointed right at the tip of my rod. My flies ended up in a Rhododendron 10 feet above me! The word must be out that I need a bit of humbling, for the fish I hooked yesterday (before the water muddied) really laughed at me. I had blown a cast, was sure I had a mess at the end because of the way it had landed in the water. Well as luck (and the trout's 6th sense!) would have it, I looked away for a second or two. When I looked back I saw my indicator being ripped upstream, at which I responded by clamping down on the line. This brought the desired effect of bringing the fish by his/own velocity rocketing out of the water, flipping tail away from me and gone, a perfect somersault. I am sure that fish winked at me.
I was shown a picture on a cell phone of a 28" fish that a young man had caught the weekend before! So there are some fish in the creek, just not as many shots at last season (my opinion, based on my lack of success!). If I can get a picture of that 28" fish I will post it, it was a chrome beauty. Did get some px of a bald eagle we saw along the Cheoah river.

And I have to show one picture of a very faithful friend (taken by M. Hansen); standing there with me in the 38 degree water.
If you get over there try some different flies if the egg patterns don't produce. Soft hackles or maybe small black wooly buggers (imitating small winter stones), dropped below the large stone, for the weight. There continues to be no shortage of water in the creek.
Water was much warmer over the weekend; 45 degrees. That won't last though, with the colder weather returning! A full moon is coming, that should bring in more fish, and aggressive fish, so don't forget the streamers the next couple of weeks.
Tight lines,
John
Old 03-14-2010, 10:25 PM

Default End of Season Depression

Hey folks,
I didn't post nearly so much this season, the run was not nearly as good as the last two years. Maybe it runs in cycles? I hope that is the case, and not that the pillaging of last year really hurt the population. I think my tally for the season was 9 fish, a few browns this season as well. There were some beasts caught this season, I saw a huge brown and a 28" rainbow, it might have been a steelhead, but the phone photo I saw was too small to really make a call about it. I will post a few more fish (if I can find them in my computer files. The stream is closed until the 1st Saturday of April, except for the back country. I hiked up there last weekend, it was beautiful, water temp was 35 degreeeees! I never strung up the rod, did take few pics of the snow on the road and trail, ice in the creek, and the incredibly blue sky, though I didn't do it justice. I want to check previous posts to make sure to not repeat pics. Next posting frame will have some pics.
Best.
John