Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 09-16-2011, 06:52 AM

Default thanks

Thanks John, that info is very helpful. We might have to wait until spring. Keep posting when you aren't cycling. I enjoy hearing what you write about the area.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:58 AM

Default Yeltad

Thanks and tight lines!
John
Old 09-22-2011, 02:29 PM

Heading to the Snowbird area this weekend. Have a cabin on the West Buffalo. If I can figure out the streams and bring any fish to hand I will post a report.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:36 PM

Default West Buffalo

A very nice little stream, good luck!
Old 09-22-2011, 02:45 PM

Thank you, I am looking forward to the fishing; however not the drive at 2 a.m. in the rain on the Tail of the Dragon with my wife and two dogs in a small car.

Old 09-22-2011, 03:32 PM

Default Late Trip

That is awfully late, be careful. Might even wait until morning... if from the Knoxville area. You likely won't see a soul, or have cell service through Deals Gap without a Sat phone (which I do not have). West Buffalo is formed by two creeks; Squally and H...... ? Right above the confluence of the two is a great run of about 50 or yards or so of bouldered pockets, enclosed by trees. Squally is full of wild rainbows, small, but lousy with them! I bet you all will be pretty far up West Buffalo, maybe actually on Squally.
Enjoy yourselves!
Old 09-23-2011, 05:20 PM

I will be on the big snowbird tommorrow if you are up that way, we have the little blue car with Illinoisb tags
Old 09-23-2011, 05:38 PM

Default Drugcop4

Thanks for the invitation, sorry I won't be over this weekend. We have a family reunion in Crossville, TN tomorrow..... Good luck to you!
John
Old 09-26-2011, 01:39 PM

Fished the Big Snowbird in cool weather and rain and it was awesome. Some fish took the Yellow Stimulator, but most were on the only bead head Tellico Nymph that I had. I brought about 12 fish to hand anywhere from 4 to 10 inches all rainbow. Had one Brown that went about 14 inches, he was camera shy and got off before I could manage the camera. Once I lost the Tellico I did not get another bite for the rest of Friday and all of Saturday. I told the wife my problem was I needed to fish more to get more practice with other patterns. I don't think she bought it.

The fishing was pretty good, I was poorly prepared and there is not a fly shop within reasonable distance for a short trip. I can tell you that the Tail of the Dragon drive on Hwy 129 is not for the faint of heart.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:28 PM

Default Drugcop4

Certainly glad you had some luck! Yeah that creek is full of golden stones, so the Tellico is hard to beat. There is a pretty good fly shop at the NOC on the Nantahala River. It is actually across the street from the NOC at the Wesser [General?] Store. That's about 30 minutes away. They usually have flies at Robinson's store on Snowbird rd as well, though I don't remember ever seeing any bead heads. Were you all travelling from Illinois, and did you have any luck there on West Buffalo?
Hope you liked it enough to make a return trip sometime!
John