Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 09-22-2006, 03:20 PM

Default Re: Snowbird Creek and Neighboring Creeks

Thanks Paula,
I will call first part of next week.
Hope you all have a good weekend,
John[img] [/img]
Old 09-22-2006, 03:23 PM

Hey it worked! I finally made sure it was in the middle of the icons!
Thank you Paula!
Now I am dangerous............... well maybe not to the fish.
Best,
John
Old 09-23-2006, 10:35 PM

That is a great looking fish! I have an eye on some streams that are said to contain lake-run fish. Hopefully I'll have some time to try them out this winter. Do you try to specifically target lake-run fish with different methods or just catch them during your regular trout fishing? Any advice on fishing for lake-run fish would be appreciated!

David
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 09-25-2006, 11:19 AM

Hey Plateau Angler,
I do specifically target them in the winter, a couple of tactics seem to work pretty well. Keep in mind Snowbird does not have any really deep runs, six or eight feet is about as deep as I am fishing. I fish a sink tip line (teeny mini-tip) with streamers( olive or black or brown (bh or ch) wooly buggers or your favorite); allow a slight belly in the line to keep it taught ( you will feel the strike and be able to set the hook before the fish spits it) You can either toss it to the head of a riffle going into a deeper hole and follow it back with a dead drift or allow the belly. The other tactic is to toss it slightly down and across so that it will cross the likely spot. I caught my best fish to date last winter after having dead drifted the streamer through the run 8 or 10 times....nothing. I had seen a swirl there though that didnt look like current, so just for grins I tried swinging it through the run right from the head of the main flow over a break into the tailout. The fly didn't travel 3 or 4 feet before it stopped (presumably hung) I struck though, (as I am want to do!) and he opened up a hole the size of a truck tire! (like the swirl I had seen!) I was using about 5' of leader tapered to 3x flourocarbon and a six weight rod (normally only use this rod in the winter,high water, or for smallies)[img]
I hope that worked, not too sure yet.
The other way I like to go after them is with a big biot bug (size 8 or larger)or stone fly about 4 feet below a big indicator, I will drip a glow bug off the back or the stone. Some days they like the stone some days they like the glow bug. Browns seem to like the glow bug, they must be hanging behind the steelies feeding on loose eggs. Usually the current bring it to the surface after the drift, sometimes the hit then. I probably missed something, ask any other questions you like.
tight lines,
Old 09-25-2006, 01:31 PM

Hey j,

That is one great looking fish!!! *

Have you ever fished below the Nantahala Powerhouse? I was looking at coming there from Blue Ridge, but it sounds as if I should keep coming up 129/19 a bit further and hit Snowbird. Are there any campsites up the Snowbird? Do you know if 143 will get me over to the Tellico/ North River Road? Thanks

justfishing
<'))))><
Old 09-25-2006, 04:05 PM

Thanks for the compliment on the fish, I may never get another that size, but if I caught that one, there must be others, and I have heard of steelies up to 31"!
Yes, 143 will get you to the Tellico river, 42 miles (Cherohala Skyway; beautiful drive) from the turnoff to the Joyce Kilmer and yes there are campsites up on Big Snowbird. I will warn you though they are generally a mess or at least the ones I was in yesterday were. Why do people have to be such pigs? I tried to fish some eddies up there yesterday........... because I was there, the creek was definately blown out though! I would bet today it is high and clearing up, tomorrow the fishing will probably awesome.................. and I will be working . Such is life though.
As for the Nantahala, below the powerhouse; no have not fished it, either the current or previous state record brown came from that water. Well I have fished the dh section and have fished the area around the park and on down to the NOC. Caught alot of small fish in the big Nan. I would bet the big browns are stirring around there now though.
If I can be of any more help, let me know.
Tight lines,
Old 09-25-2006, 04:57 PM

J,

Thanks for the info. Sounds like Snowbird creek might be a better bet. I'm looking for a few spots not so far from home where some nice fish reside. Townsend is a little over 4 hours, Hiwassee is a little over 3. The Hooch is right under 3, but the setting is not as nice. I'll have to figure a way to head that way soon. Thanks for the reports.

justfishing
<'))))><
Old 09-25-2006, 06:06 PM

Wow! That fish is absolutely a PIG!!! Very nicely done... Thanks for the advice about catching these fish as well!

David
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 09-25-2006, 10:25 PM

David,
Thanks! I nearly fainted (literally screamed!) when I got it in the net, its tail stuck out about 8 inches! I yelled to my wife that I had caught a salmon, she said; "oh, thats nice". I did put it back by the way, maybe it will be back in the creek this winter and larger still. Regardless I will be out there!
Tight lines,
John
Old 09-25-2006, 10:34 PM

Just fishing,
Sorry I did not note that the distance from Blue Ridge, Ga(?) is about two hours. You are just south of Franklin aren't you? Franklin is 1.5 hours easy.
Tight lines,
John