Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 09-26-2006, 12:07 AM

Default Re: Snowbird Creek and Neighboring Creeks

TW,
You're right about Blue Ridge. It's about 2 hours south. I'm actually in Alabama, but would come through Blue Ridge to fish the Toccoa before I head north. Or I might hit the Hiwassee first and head east.
decisions,,,,,, decisions

justfishing
<'))))><
Old 11-28-2006, 11:58 PM

Well I have not posted in a while but the time is near for the Steelhead to run and I am getting antsey! I fished a couple of hours last Friday on Snowbird and caught a few pretty, wild fish! All rainbows too, one small male in spawning regalia! One hen about 13" and bright, things should start picking up with the full moon and the next good rain event. I am pretty sure I saw a nice fish in a big pool on the bottom hanging behind some suckers, but it spooked on about the third drift past it. The water is at a good level and clear (too clear in my opinion!) In the last two weeks the rain guage showed 3.75", no telling about the headwaters but the flow is good. Water temp Friday afternoon was ~ 45 deg. Caught fish on a Burkes aggrivator, size 8. Fishing was fairly slow though 3 fish in 3 hours. Could be the angler!
Tight lines,
Old 11-29-2006, 03:11 PM

troutwag,

Like you I absolutely love to fish for steelhead, but unfortunately for me I can't make it up there for a while because of work. I at least get to fish for bigger steelhead next month (I am taking a trip out to Washington state)! Leave a monster ot two for the rest of us
Old 11-30-2006, 06:54 PM

You'll be fishing for fish that would eat mine! Bring back some good pics! Want to do that some time.
Best,
John
Old 12-01-2006, 10:21 AM

troutwag/jswitow,

I will bring back some pics, hopefully I will land at least one on my trip. You definitely need to make a trip up to the Pacific northwest and catch a steelhead (their size & strength make it a great challenge--not to mention the awesome leaps out of the water when they are hooked). I have family out there, and I also worked/fished up there for a year too. It makes for addictive fishing (at least too me)! If you ever plan a trip to Washington state, let me know and I would be happy to help in any way that I can.

Sterling
Old 12-01-2006, 11:44 AM

jswitow,

check your pm's
Old 12-01-2006, 08:00 PM

Wndeagle,
I can't get to my pms for jswitow from this computer, something wacky. I have to sign in as Troutwag to get on from home. I will check it Monday at work. You are welcome to send an email, I will check that over the weekend.
Best,
John
Old 12-18-2006, 05:56 PM

Well I got to do alittle fishing this weekend and it was as usual; unpredictable!
Only managed about an hour's worth on Saturday, the little woman wanted to pick something up in my truck in Dillsboro. I am the driver of the rig (toyota T100!)
Anyway I started fishing at about 3;30 and by 4:00 had managed to land 3 fish. Probably landed those fish in about 5-10 minutes of finally tying on an egg pattern, below my golden stone fly. About a size 10 oregon cheese glo-bug. Caught those fish on 3-4 successive casts. They were hanging in the riffle above where I normally expect to catch them and the largest was a solid 15" male was right in the trough below a small creek mouth which I bet was feeding some warm water off the sunny hillside. I was using 5x on the dropper about 4' below the indicator and ticking bottom. I only caught fish on the glo-bug this weekend so they are definately looking for them and that tells me the run has begun!
I fished several hours on Sunday and had one 11-12" fish to show for it. The water was cold (low 40's) but the level is good the rain guage showed almost 4" in the last two weeks. With the rain this week and the moon phase coming on I would bet the run will get a good kick after the first of the year, seems I saw the moon should be full the 3rd of January..... I wouldn't bet the farm, but maybe lunch that the fish will be moving with the push of the high water and the moon.
Water is pretty clear as well, which I think makes them spooky. I really like to fish 3x or heavier because they will occasionally hammer the fly (and I tend to revert to the bass fisherman on the hook set.)
Merry Christmas and tight lines!
Old 12-18-2006, 10:02 PM

Quote:
and I tend to revert to the bass fisherman on the hook set.
Merry Christmas and tight lines!
I know exactly what you mean...I grew up bass fishing, then got into the saltwater stuff with redfish and the like, and now I'm into trout..it's tough to avoid the temptation to "cross their eyes".

I really enjoy your reports from this area; I've driven by Snowbird Creek a few times, but have never fished it. Hopefully, I'll be up in that neck of the woods around New Year's, and I might give it a try.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:30 PM

Happy New Year!
It's lunch time, so I will type while I eat my Taco Bell! I think I actually lost a little weight over the holidays because I didnt eat this junk for a couple of weeks!
Anyway, more important matters, and I will post pics in a day or two. I can say the lake fish have shown up! I didnt have alot of luck catching them, but they were in plain sight in a few spots. One pod we found had about 30-50 fish from 12" - 24" plus! Couldnt get them to eat though. A fellow I fished with stuck and quickly lost a monster on an egg pattern, the fish slashed (head shake?) the surface and was free. He said he had it on long enough to think; " I am severely undergunned, then it was gone". The fish had swam toward him when hooked, he said he really didnt want to talk about it! It went right back to the spot it occupied before being hooked!.... and displayed lock-jaw after that. These fish were staging about a mile above the lake..........evidently waiting for something (the moon and water to rise?)
Sunday the fishing was better for another friend who had come up from Atlanta to fish. He managed to land 4 fish in about 3 hours; 21", 19" and (2) 11" . I only managed one in that time, it might have gone 13". We fished from about 12:30 to 3:30 at which the water started to stain and rise. I think the fish got their signal Sunday though, we fished in a downpour. By New Year's day the rain gauge showed 2.75" had fallen and the creek had risen nearly 4 feet over night! By Monday afternoon the creek was nearly fishable and the water nearly clear. Today and tomorrow should be awesome if anyone can get there.
Oh and so much for my glo bug statement; he caught all these fish on BH wooly buggers below and indicator(size 8-10), This is why I almost always fish a big bushy fly for the weight and drop the egg off the bend.
Tight lines!