Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 01-03-2007, 10:27 PM

Default Re: Snowbird Creek and Neighboring Creeks

J,

Well, we really didn't have time to fish Snowbird, but we did get to drive over there in the rain on Sunday, just to scout it out. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but I took Big Snowbird Road, past the grocery store, and then across the stream...and took it until it changed to a gravel road and state maintenance ended. I'm asking this because I am really interested in fishing the upper end of Snowbird for brookies. How much more of the gravel road would I have to take until I would reach the trailhead? Also, is it halfway decent, or does the road get rough enough to require a truck to get in? Sorry for all the road questions, but I just didn't have enough time to really explore the area.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:09 PM

IJ,
I guess you read how we fished in the rain Sunday! Lets see, from the bridge where you crossed into the back country; Big Snowbird Creek it is 6 miles to the end of the gravel. The road is not too bad for a car. From there you will hike ~ 4 miles to the first waterfall, from there on you will be in the brookie water. It is pretty up there, can't say that I have done very well up there, but I may not have walked far enough. I would plan on a 5 mile hike to get to better water (less pressured). You're not likely to see too many people up there. If you're ever going to make it and want a partner, let me know. I don't get up there enough myself! It is the biggest brook trout water I know of, even way up there.
There is a rumour locally that it was damaged by the construction of the Cherohala Skyway. The word is that a big seam of Anakista (sp?) shale was exposed which raised the acidity of the creek. Don't know whether that is acutally true. Probably more than you wanted to know. I have seen some good brookies up there never caught one over 8", but as I said I dont get there very often. Just too far to go by myself. I used to not worry about it, but came upon a rattler one day, had it bitten me 7 miles from the car and no one around, I would have been in a world of hurt.
Anyway best to you, any other questions; fire away!
Old 01-04-2007, 08:59 PM

Thanks a bunch...that's exactly what I wanted to know...sending you a PM.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:05 PM

Well one more post and regrettably not a whole lot to report. I am not having alot of luck. I am certain the fish are there, I have seen many. I am not holding my mouth right or something. My fall-back excuse is that the water was really high and off color over the weekend. There continues to be alot of rain falling in the area and the creek is/was running high and more importantly fairly off-color. I met a guy from Atlanta on the stream, he is building a cabin. He said his builder's wife landed a 31" fish over the New Year Holiday. If I can substantiate that one with a picture :-? , I will post it! For me, so far this season, a 15" fish is the best I have managed, not a bad fish, but not what I am looking for this time of year! My buddy from Atlanta's 21" fish is the best I have actually seen this year, and may well be the best fish I see this season, need to get that film developed.
If the rain holds off for a couple of days the creek will clear and levels get back to normal fishing should improve . It may be good anyway, I just may be me having a run of bad luck........?! Wish I had better news. If anyone else gets over please post your results. I can't make it over this weekend.
Anyway tight lines,
John
Old 01-18-2007, 09:50 AM

I'm planning on going over Saturday for the day. If anyone wants to go shoot me an email or pm. I could drive from there. Would want to be in Maryville by about 7:45 planning on getting there around 10:00 am. Will fish until 3:00 or 3:30 or until ttttttoo cccccold to fffffffish any more.
Happy Thursday,
Old 01-22-2007, 02:40 PM

Well .......... Fishing for me was tough Saturday. Could have been several factors (excuses) but the biggest reason was the water temp (I'm guessing). I did miss several short strikes on my streamers and landed nothing on those. Switched to a floating line, nymph rig and had no more success until the sundown. I ended my day and the biggest run on the creek (to my knowledge), one which is deep in the middle on the outside of the bend of the pool then becomes shallow as it runs into a riffle. Anyway I chose to wade out at the head of this thing and then wade into as I can and then then feed a long drift into the deep middle in one of the two current seams which are apparent in the head of the pool. This tactic makes for about a 90 foot drift, paying out line as it goes and ends with the fly about 70 feet below me. I had at this point given up on my stone egg rig and tied on a fly I saw last week which looked good; a hare's ear tied on a size 6 or 8 salmon egg type hook with a big copper bead at the head. Between the bead and the heavy short hook I had a fly which looked about like a size 14 with a big hook and weight. You may think I'm crazy but I have to sell myself on these things or I never catch a fish! I tossed this little jewel upstream about 20" to start the drift, mend drift, (man my feet are cold), checked the thermometer which I had dropped in a few minutes before, it read 40 on the mark, warmest of the day! Anyway watch the drift, slow............not quite as slow as the drift above the weir on the Clinch, but slow. All of a sudden the indicator goes down slowly, set the hook! (way too much slack because of the snake s's in the line) There is life on the other end and it feels pretty strong! Strip, Strip cant go to the reel for the fish is swimming toward me. Well anyway, I lost at the net, a decent bow, 13-15" range. Well at least I am awake and hopeful, who cares if my feet tingling!
Try it again, this time at the bottom of the drift, probably 2 minutes the indicator dips again I lift (make that rare back like the bass fisherman trying to get past the slack) Another fish; this is the one I am looking for the 6 wt is double and the tip is dancing with the head shakes of the big fish, get to the reel, arrrgghh he is running toward me, strip feverishly, he turned still there, then he ran toward me again and I couldnt gather the slack quickly enough and gone. **!!XXXX !!!!. Finally the light goes on and I check the fly, it is barbless. I really don't like barbless hooks, not until I have landed at least two fish! The fly works though, its getting dark and my hands are cold. The fly stays. Two more casts, drifts and I hook another, not as good but not bad, a nice bend in the rod. Finally I land one, a 13" brown. I lost one more fish before it was getting pretty dark and cold.
I bought a paper while there and there were two pictures of fish in the paper, a 23" brown (noted as 6 1/2 " top to bottom) log, big hook jawed male. The other fish was a 22" rainbow! So others are having better luck than I! Such is life.
Make the trip if you can. I will be over there next weekend again. Persistance is my ace in the hole!
Tight lines and have a good week.
Cross you fingers for some mild weather Friday, Saturday and Sunday!
John
Old 01-22-2007, 06:29 PM

Sorry for that posting. I was in a hurry at lunch and did not proofread it before posting. Hope it makes enough sense that you get the gist of it!
Best,
John
Old 01-23-2007, 12:22 AM

Good report...the days are getting longer - it won't be long now.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:05 PM

Yes, but the creek is closed in the month of March until the 1st Saturday in April. By then the lake run fish will be back in the Lake. The fishing can still be good and often is, but the good chance at a trophy is much reduced.
Best,
John
Old 01-24-2007, 11:11 AM

Hey, I finally got the new years pictures developed. Cant wait until the make a water resistant digital for a reasonable sum! Anyway ..........[img] [/img]
And with a little luck, one more [img] [/img]
I hope these work, if I did this more often.........
These are the NY eve fish I mentioned, the big hen taped at 21" and the smaller bright fish 19"
Anyway best,
John