Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 01-24-2007, 11:16 AM

Default Re: Snowbird Creek and Neighboring Creeks

Dern,
I will have to try that again later! Don't know why that did't work this time.
Sorry,
John
Old 01-24-2007, 12:54 PM

I checked and none of the photos I have posted through photobucket are showing this morning. Maybe they will show up later. Or maybe some of the rest of you can see them even though I cannot.
Best,
John
Old 01-24-2007, 01:41 PM

I CAN SEE THE PICS AND WOW!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-24-2007, 02:58 PM

Sivad,
Thanks! I am a big Starwars fan as well. Lately with my fishing (make that catching, or lack there of) the force isn't with me!
Best,
John
Old 01-24-2007, 03:44 PM

John,

I soon as I can make the time I would like to fish snowbird. Would be able to show me around if I give you a week or so notice? Thanks for the reports and pics.

Patrick
Old 01-24-2007, 03:57 PM

Patrick,
I would welcome the opprortunity! Just let me know.
Best,
John
Old 01-31-2007, 04:55 PM

Hi all,
I have been needing to post for last weekend, The fish are in the creek and the weather does not seem to have the effect on them as it does the resident trout. Saturday the weather was beautiful and the fishing might have been awesome, for me it was pretty good. I fished about three hours and landed 2 fish; one about a 13" brown on a dry and another about a 16-17 bow on an emerger. Both fish were sight fished! They hit the nearest thing I had to a little dark stonefly I could come up with! I may have done better had I not gotten hooked on trying to catch one of the big fish in the pod I wasted too much time fishing. Luckily the two I caught began rising near the pod and I caught sight of them.
Sunday was dern cold, but I was there and so ............ I fished! I found the fishing surprisingly good while I could stand it. H20 temp was below 40 degrees, air temp 28-29 degrees, guides constantly freezing. I lasted about 2 hours and hooked 6 landed three. The fish were absolutely on fire! When hooked they went wild, ripping up the holes like it was spring. Snow and cold dont seem to bother these fish (steelhead) like the residents. I will tell another about the "one that got away"; I hooked all fish on a size 12 prince tied with a black tungsten bead on a heavy large gap hook (guessing it looked like the little stones which were in evidence the day before). I caught on fish in a hole known to attract fish about a 15" bright male. On the next cast I think I had a fish take on the bottom of the drift as the fly rose in the current, should have been a good hook set. The fish went absolutely berserk! I never got it on the reel becuase it kept running toward me and I kept having to strip like a fiend to keep tension. Finally the fish nearly flipped itself out on the bank and managed to throw the hook; it was every bit of 22-23"!
If you go get some of those princes, then try every dark nymph in the box if needed! If I am going to be there, I will be happy to fish with you.
Apologies to Streamer, I missed his pm about coming over last weekend.
Again all, the fish will be there until the end of February, they seem to be mostly gone by the first Saturday in April when the stream reopens.
Best,
John
Old 01-31-2007, 09:41 PM

Great report...man, I'm getting antsy to go fishing - I only hope the weather will warm up a bit towards the end of next month.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:28 AM

Have faith! We always get some warm weather in February.
Send some up from Alabama!
Best,
John
Old 02-01-2007, 09:09 PM

It's actually been pretty cool and rainy here in Louisiana; we went about 10 days with no sun, which is very unusual, even in Winter. That subtropical jet stream is parked right over us. For at least the next 15 days, the pattern isn't going to change much - the eastern part of the US will be getting these blasts of Arctic air. I'm hoping it will change after that, though...all we need are a few warm days to get things going. One thing about these small streams - they warm up a lot faster than a bigger body of water.