Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 02-19-2007, 12:12 PM

Default Snowbird Fishing

Well all I wish I had some good information. The run either hasn't been as strong this year or more likely I just have not had the luck! I have hooked and lost a few fish and reported on a few that others did catch, so I think I just was not lucky this season......... though there is still one weekend left and it sounds like there may finally be some warming! Last Saturday I fished with a buddy from Knoxville, and it was slooowwww. Managed three fish for the day. I have mentioned a pod of fish which I could not hook. I can now report that I did manage to get one of those guys to eat........... a 20"............. Red Horse Sucker! My buddy said he had suspected they were suckers, his eyes are better than mine at dstance. It was the biggest sucker I have ever caught (only the second in five years)! The water at 5:00 pm in the blizzard was 34 degrees and ice was apparent from the banks. The two trout taken were about an 11" bow and 15" bow. We did have a visit from an otter (the first I have seen on the creek!) He popped up three times to take a quick look at us in a quiet deep pool, we quickly decided that hole was not worth fishing for a while. The trip back to Knoxville across Deals Gap was an adventure, and took an extra hour. The creek was low, we need some rain over there as well. If it warms this week the fishing will improve greatly, maybe I will have some decent pics to post after next weekend. Maybe spring is finally on the way! I hope it warms up, when my wife figures out I bought that new reel for musky and pike I will be sleeping in the jeep (for a few days)!
Tight lines,
Old 02-21-2007, 10:08 PM

A friend of mine almost had heart failure once on the Nantahala...

We were fishing the DH section and he saw four or five HUGE TROUT in a pool just above a huge rock. We crawled over the top of the rock, keeping low to the surface of it to get a look at them. God has blessed me with really good "fishing eyes" and I can usually spot fish that alot of my friends can't. ( Catching them is where I fail most of the time! ) - anyway - as soon as I saw them, I said " those aren't trout" and his cold sweat stopped, his fever broke and he regained his sight. haha. They were HUGE, 2 ft long SUCKERS! We tried some egg patterns and nymphs on them( Oh, put your jaw back in it's place, fishin' is fishin! LOL ) but they wouldn't hit anything.

We joked about them all the way home. biggest trout of the day. haha
Old 02-22-2007, 12:41 PM

Default Suckers

You know you're right, if it pulls back I dont mind catching it! Those redhorse are actually pretty fish in my opinion, look a little like a bonefish, streamlined fork-tail, no bugle mouth like a carp. They just don't fight much.
I have landed two of them in five years. Wonder how they would taste?!
You're awfully close to Snowbird when you hit the Nan DH, 20 to 30 minutes.
Best,
John
Old 02-27-2007, 01:57 PM

Default Last Chance to fish before March Closing

I made it over last Sunday to fish Snowbird and found Snowbird the confluence of Big and Little to be blown out. Water was high and muddy. I rode upstream and found the water to be clear coming out of Big Snowbird and coffee and cream out of Little Snowbird. I gave it a shot on Big Snowbird and had a big goose egg for my efforts. I saw two big otters (30-40 lb) and a Mink or Weasel. It was a big mink, if it was a mink, pretty dark brown. I should have moved far from the otters when I saw them, but the brain was on auto-pilot by then.. Tomorrow should be awesome and the last shot at the lake run fish. The stocking trucks will be making their contributions and screwing up the lies for the wild fish. The stream will reopen the 7 of April. I caught the large fish pictured back in the listing one year ago today. I can't go, hope someone can, conditions should be awesome.
Best,
John
Old 02-28-2007, 04:24 AM

You'll probably want to shoot me John, but coming out in either in April or May's issue of North Carolina Sportsman, I was asked to participate in magazine articles for the Snowbirds and Santeetlah Creeks. Dont worry I kept it broad and didnt give up anything. For the articles we stayed on the hatchery supported water too. I did them last spring as with alot of mag articles, everything runs a year after it was shot and written
Old 02-28-2007, 10:48 AM

Default Snowbird

T.E.,
You can see that I have been trying to get people to come try the fishery. I have not kept any secrets. I have not seen that there has been any increased flyfishing pressure on the creek. Ultimately I would like to see more flyfishers, more fish returned (and not all of them) and less trash. If your article brings more of that, I am all for it. Did you mention the winter run fish? I honestly didn't do very well with them this winter but in the last four years I have managed good numbers of what most would consider trophy fish in the mountains. It's not a fantastic stream, it could be if it were not abused, the siltation in the creek is awful, must of which comes out of Little Snowbird. As development increases things will have to be done right or the trout will be gone except in the upper reaches. The trout will suffer through some silt as will some bugs, but if the trees on the creek continue to be cut down the water will get too warm for trout in the lower reaches. You ever get over that way let me know, I would welcome the opportunity to fish with you. I look forward to reading your article, will have to look for that magazine.
Best,
John
Old 02-28-2007, 10:25 PM

I noticed that there was quite a bit of runoff in that one stream when I took a look at it over New Year's...sounds like a riparian restoration project is in order.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:43 PM

Default Riparian Restoration

Wait, pinch myself, I must be dreaming. I have driven up Little Snowbird and it is hard to pinpoint any one problem..........there are so many. Most would tell me that was my opinion and to mind my own business. Logging, earth moving, four wheelers on public lands. If people would only put up silt fencing most of the problems would go away. That seems to be a tall order though. I need to do a little more research to see if there is any possiblity of enforcement. A couple of years ago, I did a little and found many walls, basically "mind your own business" was what I heard.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:56 PM

Thumbs up

Jswitow,

You need to take some pictures when you see it happen and report it to the NC division of Water Quality. I inspect roadway constructions project in Tennessee for eorsion ans sediment control. I am doing a couple now on cosby creek in cosby Tn and get to fish on my lunch break. NC is pretty strict with the erosion and sediment relase for the state. Any deveploment should have a Strom Water Pollution Prevention PLan(SWPPP). The the web site for more info is http://h2o.enr.state.nc.us/. Please report any violation you, this will help the problem.

Partick
Old 03-01-2007, 03:58 PM

Here is another site that may help http://www.dlr.enr.state.nc.us/pages/sedimentation.html