Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 03-02-2007, 03:42 PM

Default Erosion Problems

Patrick,
Thanks for those websites. I will look into them, if anything good comes of it I will let you know. Little Snowbird runs largely through Indian lands, not sure the state has any jurisdiction over that. Nine times out of ten silt fencing would fix the problem. Silt fencing is cheap too.
Thanks again,
John
Old 03-08-2007, 01:54 AM

I didn't mention the winter run fish to the writer. He may know of them and write about them I dont know, as I havnt seen the finished article, just the photos. We stayed on the Hatchery Supported water for the most part, and I believe Don will keep it pretty simple and straight forward, he's pretty good about not blowing the lid of something, or causing harm to a fishery that cant stand angling pressure.

Siltation is a big threat for most streams in rural counties. Poor code enforcements and develpoment codes of any kind make steep slope development a problem. I agree that the Snowbirds have some major problems with poor development. I noticed that stuff right away when driving up there last year.
Nieghboring Swain County has just formed a commitee for helping to curb the problems with steep slope develpoment here in Bryson City and Swain County. Im glad our commissioners have finally realized the dangers and are on at least some steps to remidying this problem. I suppose that Graham county will soon follow to do the same thing. It always seems that once Macon County adopts a policy, Swain is next to do so, then Graham County. Maybe a few years for now we will readily see the chances and diffrences made.
This is even more reason to support your local TU chapter and water quality groups.

I'll get off my soap box now!

TE
Old 03-08-2007, 06:09 PM

Default Supporting TU for water quality issues

Well put! I need to find out if there is any TU presence in Graham County. You know I as an outsider don't want to step on any toes.
Best,
John
Old 03-14-2007, 09:34 PM

Default Brookies in the backcountry

Jswitow,

Nice posts on this thread. I have a question for you. What is the average size of brookies in the backcountry on Big Snowbird Creek (3.5 to 6 miles upstream of trailhead) ? I read this is one of the better, and largest, brook trout streams in NC. Also what is the size of a "nice" brookie on this stream? . Any information would be welcome.

Thanks,
Hike and Fish
Old 03-15-2007, 03:03 PM

Default Brookiies on Big Snowbird

Hey Hike and Fish,
The brookies on Big Snowbird. Can't say that I am an authority on them, the biggest I have seen is 10", though it is a big stream, as big a brook trout stream as I have seen. I honestly have not fished it up there enough to know. I have been up there three times in 5 years. I have a 9 year old son, and most of my fishing is close to home for a couple of hours at a time. The brookie water requires at the very least a long day of hiking and fishing or a good three day weekend trip. Sometime when you are heading this way let me know, if you want to head up there and want someone to fish with. Not a terrible hike in, just a fair distance. It is another old rail grade. I bought a 3wt year before last with the plan to get up there more often and have not held to the plan.
Best,
John
Old 04-23-2007, 10:38 PM

Default Fishing this past Sunday

Well folks I have not posted for awhile as I have not fished Snowbird (or anywhere else for that matter!) since late February. Something is definately wrong with my priorities. Anyway we drove over late Saturday as my son's soccer team (which I coach) had a 3:00 pm game. Finally made it out the door around 10:00 am Sunday and was fishing by 10:30. The fishing was fine, the catching so so. The first run I hit showed clear, slightly high water, really nice water actually and a nice hatch coming off. Looked like little yellow stones or caddis, never got a close-up. The flies were repeatedly touching the water laying eggs and pretty good flyers, I'm guessing caddis. Nothing was rising to them though. I fished a 14 Elk hair caddis to start, no a size 10 or 12 seducer.........nothing. Switched to caddis and took one small fish small chrome silver bow, spent as much time out of the water as in it, and my only fish on a dry for the morning. I switched to a small #14 or #16 Golden Tungsten bead stone nymph with an indicator and promptly had a nice bow eat the indicator. Wouldn't come back for the Seducer for nothing!
I moved up through some heavy water and promptly slipped and took water, definately a wake-up call! Fished some small deep holes and took a couple of small fish (usually take a good one here) and worked my way up stream taking the occasional small bow on nymphs about 3' below an indicator or sometimes without the indicator on short line. I like to cast though and at distance the indicator helps. I think I managed 6 in 2 hours over about 200 yards of water. The best finally came on a large golden stone nymph tied with lead wrap and tungsten bead, it was about an 11" brown and sorry to say a stocker, but fat and healthy and a good distance from a stocking point, so I like to think it was a holdover. The state stocks them like crazy though in March, so I bet it showed up then and migrated upstream a half a mile. The water was cold in the middle 40's which surprised me. But the weather has been colder and they are quite a bit behind us in the season. Trees are just beginning to bud. I won't be able to get back now for another 3 weeks.
I did hear some news about Big Santeetlah on opening day. We picked up a stranded fisherman in Robbinsville on the 6th, he was in from Rocky Mount with a gang to fish BS, he was having car trouble. He was with a crew (of questionable sorts) also from his home town, but he was so greatful for the ride (left his ride at Ingles in Rville) that he let me in on a secret. He said they fish there on opening day every year and usually catch a 7 or 8 pounder, but that they are known brood fish. Still sounds like it could be fun. They didn't stay the weekend, it was cold (low 20's and wind at night) and not much warmer during the day that weekend. They may still be there if anyone is interested. I may go try it the next time I get over that way.
Anyway the spring hatches will be coming on strong soon if not already, I think I may have had to quit too soon Sunday to partake in the commotion of rising fish!
Tight lines,
John
Old 04-25-2007, 09:59 AM

I have hiked in and camped in the area that you are referring to. We had excellent brookie fishing the first time and good the second. The fish were mostly in the 4-7" range. The biggest that we caught were around 8". We caught a lot of them and the scenery was beautiful, especially around the waterfalls. We caught most of them on black caddis(#16)
Old 05-14-2007, 03:36 PM

Default Snowbird May 13th, 07

I finally was able to do a little fishing Sunday. Yes, my wife gave me permission. I got double duty by taking my son (who is 9) out for the first time in his new waders and boots. I saw some sedge caddis and golden stones the night before around the lantern and thought we might do well on some big golden stone dries. A storm on Saturday had muddied the water though and the fish weren't looking up. I did see the largest golden stone I have ever seen, a solid size 4! We fished hares ears and larger golden stone pattern nymphs. He hooked three and landed one, his first where he actually made the cast, set the hook, and fought, and landed the fish! He was a little psyched! We only fished about an hour and a couple of holes, the water was off color and a couple of inches high. After an hour he had enough and was hungry, so I asked to hit the hole with a big nymph (size 8 Tungsten golden stone) and on the first drift took a 10" brown. My son remarked that they like to come out when the water is cloudy (actually listened!) One more cast hooked and landed a 14" rainbow! (at which point the little guy wanted to fish a little more!) The rainbow made such a ruckous in the run though that the rest must have been on high alert, no more takers.
We ended with a chub, a brookie of 11-12" and the brown and bow. I am sure the brookie was a stocker, we were way below the brookie water. The others looked like wild fish. The creek looked to be in good shape and the rain gauge showed 1.5 inches in the last two weeks. I think I have hooked the little guy on fishing this weekend, he said he really enjoyed it!
Anyway if anybody makes the trip, yellow ought to be the ticket the next month or two. Golden stone dries (12 - 6) and nymphs(14- as well as yellow caddis 16-10 and whatever else you like this time of year.
Tight lines,
John
Old 05-14-2007, 05:57 PM

Great report John,

Always enjoy the updates! Sounds like a great day on the water with your son. If you get a chance,snap some pics of your adventures.

Mark...

http://www.mtff.org/ (For general interest in the Middle Tennessee area)
Old 05-15-2007, 12:37 PM

Default Picture posting; Snowbird

Dry Fly,
Thank you for the kind words. I will get some pictures posted. Still using film, so there is some lag.
Best,
John