Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 05-16-2007, 09:33 AM

Jswitow,

I will echo Dry Fly's comments. I too enjoy your updates and pictures. I am looking forward to my first trip to this area next month.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:03 PM

Default Photos and Thanks

Thank you OMC! I tried to post some pics last night, but we have a new printer/scanner and I could not figure out how to get the pics to photobucket. May have to bring them to work!
Tight lines,
John
Old 05-29-2007, 01:54 PM

Default Memorial Day Holiday Weekend

Well we spent the weekend over at Snowbird and I fished a couple of hours each morning. The fishing was pretty good. The creek is evidently full of stockers now and (for now) of some size. Saturday morning I was skunked. Saturday afternoon I took my wife (her first outing) and son out with me....as long as they could stand it. Patience is a virtue, and I got very little of it! They have their first lessons at LRO the 9th of June though! We did catch a few fish though, my son had one on long enough to see it jump three times before it came unbuttoned!
I went back to that hole about an hour before dark and drifted a large Seducer (golden stone size through there and landed about a 12" bow and lost a larger one trying to coax it over a downed tree! Gave up because of darkness at that point. But the large (2") golden stones were out toward darkness.
Sunday morning I started at a deep hole with a size 8 golden stone nymph (heavy) on 4x. The third drift stuck a large fish, when finally in the net it showed to be 17" (stocker). I moved up to the next pool and in short order caught site of another large trout holding in front a boulder at the exit point of the pool. It took 20 mnutes and four fly changes, but she finally took a caddis emerger, twitched twice about 2' in front of the fish, the fish pounced on that fly like a cat! 18 " (another stocker of course). I made my way through the hole and had one hit a size 14 BH tellico. It immediately went airborne, 3 feet! That one jumped 3 or 4 times and I was sure I had finally hooked a nice wild fish (I could see a good looking tail as it jumped).
Upon landing the fish though (15") I saw a fin missing. Still alot of fun and I was done in 1 hour 15 minutes...
Monday morning I was out by 8:00am, it was 54 degrees, didn't take the water temp, but it was chilly for wet wading. I would bet high 50's. Caught several wild fish on dries (16 BWO, 14 Elk Hair caddis), the largest was a 10" bow with perfect seemingly oversized fins! (no camera, forgot it).
I decided to go try the hole where I lost the nice fish 2 nights before, before calling it a day. I tried the dries first, not even a flash. Then nymphs, even the big golden stone with the flashing "eat me" sign on the sides.....nothing. I thought; there must be a big fish in here, got everybody scared to death.........so I tied on an olive cone head muddler, flipped it across the run and out came a big trout! follow but no take. I immediately stopped and cut three feet off my nine foot leader and retied with shaking hands. The fish came out three more times, missed once, but would not come back for the muddler. I switched to a big heavy hellagramite, two follows, one miss and I was out. One more streamer; an olive lead dumb-bell eyed sculpin pattern. Flipped out across the stream again, another follow (yes, luckily this is a hungry fish!) Note also that a tight line or leading dredge got no interest, the swing was the thing! One more flip and out came the fish and this time a solid take! I had already set my drag tight for the heavy tippet, knowing that the tree was still very close. After a couple of minutes this one too was in the net, a 19-20" bow, another stocker. It was alot of fun still, and I saw only three more fisherman where I fished. These fish will be harvested by the meat hunters soon though, which may be a good thing, for most seemed to have empty stomachs. They will likely starve because they just don't know enough about survival on their own.
Anyway the fishing is pretty good right now, as the summer goes along the stockers will thin out and wild fish will prevail by fall. Then the browns and the lake run bows! And as alot of you know the summer will be gone before we know it, so get out and enjoy it!
Tight lines,
John
Old 06-07-2007, 05:45 PM

Default Weekend of June 2,3 07

Hi all,
I have seen a lot of concern about letting out secret streams. I suppose I am commiting a terrible injustice giving out the info I do ........... But from the reports and the people I see (not) on the stream waving a fly rod, I am guessing that few are making the trip or reporting, if they have made the trip.
I ran into a fellow from Memphis last weekend fishing with a fly rod; he was using a yellow caddis with a small dropper. He said they were taking the dry more often than the dropper. He said Snowbird was his favorite place to fish, and didnn't want anyone to know it! He had found many big fish in the stream as I had reported and even landed an 18" brown on a dry! Can't say I have had that experience. He caught it in a spot I have fished at least 50 times, but never just where he had cast his fly! You never know. Last weekend was pretty good, again I caught small wild fish on dries and larger fish, mix of wild and stocked on nymphs. No monsters this weekend though. The water is low, though not painfully so. The lighter tippets (5 or 6x) and smaller flies seemed to be the ticket, with a little more weight in the deeper runs.
I got my wife out last weekend for her second outing. She caught a couple of bows on a # 14 Elk Hair Caddis......... and was ecstatic. We hit another spot and I was banished to the run above (she'd had enough of my advice!). I turned around a short time later and saw her in the run (she should have been fishing). I of course offered my 2 cents......... shortly thereafter she took a dip! She took it well and laughed about, but she was cold.... and done.

Fishing was still pretty good. The water is warming, a nice rain would be good. It is funny in the mountains, the stream was off color Saturday AM, the guy from Memphis said it had rained steadily for about 2 hours the evening before. They were staying about a mile above us and we never got a drop, the rain gauge was bone dry as well from the previous 2 weeks. I have seen it much lower, but rain would be good. Maybe they got some this week. I am rambling, tight lines!
Best,
John
Old 07-10-2007, 01:47 PM

Default Snowbird July, 7-8th

Well the water is a little low. Ok it is real low, but the fishing was pretty good for small wild fish. Saturday morning I fished streamers, it was overcast and I just read "Modern Streamer Techniques for Trophy Trout" by Linesanman and Galloup so I have streamers on the brain. I did get a follow from about a 15" bow and caught a 10-11" brown. I had luck on 5x tippet with drys Sunday in the morning. I saw Sulphurs (PMD's) on the lantern Saturday night so lit out with a # 16 Suphur comparadun Sunday am. The first run I fished yielded a dace, but that hole gets hammered (right at a bridge) above there my luck turned for the better. I always look for browns in the backs of pools and this day with the water a little off color from Saturday rain I found a good brown (17-18") holding in the back. My Sulphur landed about 3 feet ahead of him and was pounced upon by a smaller brown! Good sport on the 3wt though. The smaller fish spooked the larger fish and I lost sight of him during the fight. I made a couple of casts to the spot above where the fish had been lying and on about the third cast was met with an explosive strike. Scared me so I reared back and popped the tippet (you've got to blow it pretty bad with this rod to pop 5x)! I was lazy though with the previous fish and didn't retie, ouch.
I did manage a half a dozen small wild fish on the dries through about 2 or 3 hundred yards of water in an hour and a half, most on a Gray Drake sparkle dun in about size 12. I fished from about 8:30 am to 10:15 am and called it a day. I think you will find the fishing pretty good if you go. I would fish above Robinson's Grocery, below there the water may be getting a little warm. I will try to post some pics soon.
Tight lines,
John
Old 07-23-2007, 02:57 PM

Default Snowbird 7-22-07

Got to fish the creek Sunday morning from about 8-11:30. The water was up a little (though still a little low), the rain gauge showed 3" had fallen since we had been there 2 weeks ago. The water was a little off color and very cool. The air temp Sunday am was 54 degrees and the water temp in the am 60 degrees. I fished with a friend who lives near the coast in GA. Anyway we didn't really whack them but we did alright. He only fished an hour, managed 2 fish, the best a 10" brown. He had the dirty job of driving home and had to leave. I did the only honorable thing to do which was to press on in his absensce. I managed about half a dozen fish and the last run I fished yielded a fat 14" bow. I missed a fish on my first drift, felt it for and instant then gone. Don't know whether this fish was the same one or not, it had a knick on it back right behind it gills, so I wondered if he may have missed the fly the first time and been momentarily foul hooked. Anyway the fish flopped out of my hand before I got the picture. One of these days I will learn not to get the fish from the net until the camera is in my hand and turned on! It was a beautiful fat wild fish, took the Golden Seducer within a foot of it sinking. Quite often they will take that fly after it has drowned. If any of you find your way over there the water should be cool, yesterday's high was 74 degrees. As I offer from time to time, I will be happy to show someone around if you are making the trip..... and I am there.
Glad to see some rain! Maybe we can get back into the summertime ritual of an afternoon shower most days.
Tight lines,
John
Old 08-19-2007, 09:07 PM

Default August 18th,2007

I was able to get over the Snowbird last weekend. Was pleasantly surprise by the temperature, Saturday morning the thermometer read 58 degrees. I slept in too late, should have been on the water at daylight. As it was I fished from about 8:15 til 11:45. I got in the stream and yes it is low, but the water was cool, can't say exactly the temperature, I left my thermometer in a buddy's boat last weekend (fished the Cumberland!). I would bet the temp was in the low 60's in the AM but warmer as the day went on. I have seen the creek this low but only once. I will be glad when this drought cycle is broken.............. Anyway the fishing! It was pretty good Saturday morning, I landed several small yearling trout on dries, actually a size 10 brown attractor which looks a little like a brown stone or hopper and a dropper of a size 16 Elk hair caddis. Then switched to a dropper of a little green bh soft hackle. As I came to my undoing (as it turned out!) I saw a nice brown laying in the back of a large pool which has a deep hole in the middle of it (maybe 4-5'). The brown didn't flatout spook but swam slowly up to the deep hole. The sun-light was just right by then and I could see several large fish stacked in there. I managed to pull two fish from the hole before they figured out something was up! Then no more, every nymph I could think of, in every fashion. The two I landed were bows, 13 & 14 inches. Nice wild fish apparently, because the stockers in this creek come from a concrete raceway, these fish were spotless.
There were some much larger trout in the hole and I should have left them alone for they were stacked up. I spent way too much time there and ended up only covering about 75 yards for the morning.
Sunday morning was about 5 degrees warmer and the fish seemed to have lock jaw. I managed one small bow 5 or 6" with beautiful par markings. Lost on more and caught a slew of dace and some very big chubs!
I am ready for fall! I you go, plan to fish early and be finished by 10:00 or 11:00 am. Right now I don't even think I would fool with evening fishing, it is just so hot that the water isn't cooling off until the middle of the night. I was fishing below the confluence of Big and Little Snowbird. Big Snowbird would certainly be cooler than where I was, the elevation is 2,300 ' or better up there and the water is very covered from the sun. Where I was, there is a fair amount of open water (to the sun).
I will try to post some pics tomorrow, too busy at the office these days!
One more note of interest; yesterday it was 98 in Murphy, 97 in Andrews and 97 in Robbinsville. Out on Snowbird 15 minutes (and 8 miles) after leaving Robbinsville at 97 degrees, it was 83 degrees for a daytime high! Pretty amazing huh"! Lastly, I saw not another fisherman this weekend, they had more sense!
Nice meeting you and your wife, Charlie (apologies if I have your name wrong!)! Shoot me a note here if you would like to fish this fall.
Tight lines,
John
John
Old 08-21-2007, 12:56 PM

john, I don't know why I haven't been following this thread, but I would be really interested to fish snowbird sometime. particularly when the steelhead are there!
Old 08-21-2007, 02:41 PM

Hey John it was nice meeting you and your family on Saturday evening ,anytime your over here in Robbinsville and want hit the creek give me a shout.
Charlie Plunkett
Old 08-22-2007, 02:21 PM

Default Snowbird

Trevor and Charlie,
Thanks I will put my email out there for initial contact.
jswitow@hotmail.com. Charlie I am a little envious of you all living over there full time, would love to fish with you sometime, maybe you can show me around you favorite stream. There is one in particular over there I want to check out one of these days.

Best,
John