Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 01-25-2006, 02:26 PM

Default North Carolina Trout Streams

Anyone out there know much about the trout fishing along the Blue Ridge Parkway above Boone?
Old 01-25-2006, 07:36 PM

Default Re: North Carolina Trout Streams

I don't know of any specific streams. There are quite a few blue lines (wild streams) just off the parkway. Get a good map like a North Carolina Atlas & Gazatteer.
Old 01-26-2006, 04:37 PM

Hi Varmit,
I used to live in Ashe County (north of Boone), I have never had much luck in that area, other than Three Top Creek which is way on the other side of the county. I have found the better places to fish in that area are from Boone and south along the Parkway. As the previous post said a NC fishing map might be your best bet to find spots, I just have never been to thrilled with the area north of Boone. Another place that is good, but it is not on the parkway, is Stone Mountain State Park which is on the border of Alleghany and Wilkes Counties. That's not too far off the beaten path from the area that you are looking at. Hope this helps and hope you find a great spot!
Old 01-27-2006, 04:27 PM

that works out perfect because our place is on the south side of the parkway near Laurel Springs. *I could shoot straight over to the park. *Thanks for the tip!!!
Old 01-31-2006, 12:18 AM

If your lookin for quality trout water in Western North Carolina the best place to start is the website for North Carolina's fish and game agency. I think their fish and game program is one of the best, this side of the Mississppi. In their regulations they have many streams listed for delayed harvest and flies only. This listings are by county so it helps to consult an atlas.
Old 02-03-2006, 05:54 PM

Stone Mt Park has 1 pay to play - C & R stream with big browns. Self registration at the parking area. Section 2, 3 & 4 are the best.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:19 AM

thanks for the info. I plan on going a couple of thimes this spring and then several times in late summer. There is also a small stream that runs right in front of the cabin that I have seen brookies in but man are they skiddish!
Old 02-20-2006, 12:34 PM

I've taken two trips to the Northern part of WNC and I've been dissapointed on both. IMHO, the fishing there isn't even on par with waters in the southern part of WNC( western NC). Spent my vacation last year in Boone, and thought I was going to a small, mountain town. Boy, was I wrong. Only joy I got out of being there was going to Valle Crucis twice and fishing the DH water there, and sitting on the back porch of the Mast store during a rain storm. Other than that, no offense to anyone that lives up there - but give me Bryson City or Townsend any day - for fishing and for atmosphere.

Oh, I almost forgot. If you go to Banner Elk, don't fish in the little creek in the city park. Nothing in it. Trust me. Nope, nothing in there. Nothing at all. Not even a chub. really.

don't do it.

i mean it.

Old 02-21-2006, 10:18 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Oh, I almost forgot. If you go to Banner Elk, don't fish in the little creek in the city park. Nothing in it. Trust me. Nope, nothing in there. Nothing at all. Not even a chub. really.

don't do it.

i mean it.

Methinks he doth protest too much!

Paula
Old 02-22-2006, 04:52 PM

Owl, protest too much, NEVER.

Bigga...