Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 05-12-2006, 09:37 AM
samantha31

Default orvis rods anyone please?

hi everyone,
i really hope someone can help me out here and it may be a long post that dont make sense but im posting for my boyfriend.
he just broke his tls trident 10 ft 6 weight 2 piece rod.it will take them a while to fix as they dont have any new ones.
the chaps at orvis have offered him a powermatrix 9ft 6 weight 4 piece or a 10ft 6 weight 2 piece t3.

obviously if he gets the t3 he has to pay alittle more.

is the t3 a better rod than the power matrix graphite wise or is it just the cork etc thats better as i noticed it says power matrix is made with same technology as t3.

also his trident is a mid flex and we got told tip flex is better.
he goes to private fisheries etc here in uk so he uses the rod from boats he also uses it from shore and he throws all sorts of flies like big lures with gold heads etc.sometimes he will have 4 flies on his cast at one time.

so can you guys help out with what rod to get.he doesnt have time to try them out etc as hes going on a fishing holiday next week and is working till the day he leaves.

he was also told a 9ft 6 rod will cast further than a 10 ft rod.as i said he has always used the 10ft but is now thinking of going for power matrix 9ft 6 because we were told it casts further..

any help would be really really apreaciated and i know everyone prefers difrent rods etc but a general opinion would be great
Old 05-12-2006, 11:14 AM

Default Re: orvis rods anyone please?

I'd go with the T3. The 9' rod would be less tiring to cast all day, the 10'r sounds better off for the conditions your BF is fishing, as far as the 9' rod casting any further, that's baloney in my opinion.

Grumpy
Old 05-12-2006, 12:07 PM

I would go with the lighter of the two models. I would also go with the 10 footer. If he's used to the action of a 10ft rod then he may not like the shorter models. It looks as though he may benefit from a med-fast flex also. As usual, Grumpy is right on the money with his opinion.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:30 PM
samantha31

thanks guys for a quick response,if anyone has anything else to add feel free.

he called an orvis shop today and they said the power matrix might be best for casting lures etc they said the t3 is for delicate one fly casts.
and he usually has 3 flies on at one time.a goldd headed lures at point and 2 medium flies on droppers.or so he tells me.lol

sam
Old 05-13-2006, 08:35 AM

Default why ex member

hi it is samantha31 here why have i been kicked off the board,it says exmember at my name and wont let me log in.so ive had to start a new account.
is it because i said something about orvis?

thanks anyone
Old 05-13-2006, 10:29 AM

tonyq123

Please see my response to this same question on the new members board.

Feel free to pm me if you have any further questions or concerns.

Paula
Old 05-14-2006, 10:56 AM

Samantha,

I've been looking into your experience with this board. *I'm sorry you have had problems. *We are happy for people to talk about Orvis. *We sell Orvis products. *We haven't banned anyone unless they spam our site. *We have to ban people every day and delete their posts. *We have no record of banning Samantha31 or the two IP addresses that you used to post under your current handle. *Your account Samantha31 doesn't show up in our system only the one post which we didn't remove. *The e-mail address you used on your second registration doesn't show up on the banned list. There is one banned e-mail address from your service provider. *Maybe when you registered the first time you accidently gave that e-mail address. *Maybe we typed in a banned e-mail address wrong and it was yours. I don't know because I don't know which e-mail address you used to register Samantha31. *All I know is we didn't ban you from the board. * *It looks like everything is working fine for you under your second registration so I would just use it. *

Sorry,

Byron
Old 05-18-2006, 11:59 AM

thanks for your time and effort.does anyone have anything to add to my question?
he went and tried the 10ft 7 weight tls power matrix as they dont do it in a 6.and he tried the 10ft 6 weight 2 piece t3 rod.it was only a quick demo but he felt the t3 was more bendy that the trident he hadf but the poweer matrix only comes in a tipflex in 10 ft.and he found that to stiff.
anymore help would be greeaaatt

thanks
Old 05-18-2006, 05:45 PM

Samantha,

I'm looking at the Orvis catalog now. I don't see a 10' 6 wt T3. In the TLS line they have a 9' 6" 6 wt with a tip flex action. They also have a 10' 7 Wt but it is also a tip flex. I don't have any experience with either rod. They probably have different rods for the UK and Europe. I know the guy who is in charge of Orvis in the UK but I can't remember his name. He was in our store (LRO) a couple of months ago. They must have an office in England. You could probably ring them there. Also, you can log on to Orvis.com and see what they have to offer but the tackle they sell in Europe may be different. I wish I could help you further. I do think that if your boyfriend likes a 10' rod it could be because he is mending a lot of line and going to a 9' rod may not be a good idea.

Byron
Old 05-19-2006, 08:26 AM

I agree with Byron on the length of the rod, you know there are other rod manufacturer's that offer 10' rods?
One that comes to mind, Scott, i love their 10' 7 weight S3 rod, the S3S which is more salt designated is a little stiffer than the S3.

Grumpy