Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 05-20-2006, 09:14 PM

Default Re: Smokies and Brookies in the Spotlight

Rainshaker, yes you are right I got off subject a little but mostly because the two issues are related. Yes, a lot of people that trash the streams don't read fly fishing magazines, but some of the flyfishers are to blame for littering also. I think we need to realize that not all fly fisherman are as considerate as we might think they are. I believe that the issue is not if a single article in Fish&Fly will have an impact on Greenbrier. I noticed a trend lately. It is not merely a single article. It was several pictures in both Fish&Fly and TU's Trout Magazine. I have noticed that there are much more people on certain streams in latter years than say mid nineties. This is a result of the Internet and again I'm not so much opposed to sharing the stream. I just wish people will obey the law. I know this is nothing we can solve or do much about but I believe we can make a difference by showing others. Begin by picking up trash along the streams and tread lightly. I'm ending this by a funny sidenote: I'm guilty of littering myself today. How is that possible you may ask? Especially after my preaching. Well. I foolishly tried to reach a rock which was out of my proper reach on Abrams today. Result: Took a forced shower in 50 degree water and lost my water bottle, I looked at it for at least five minutes as it was sailing down the river. In a couple fo weeks some guy or gal at the other end of Abrams will shout. I"M SICK AND TIRED OF ALL THIS TRASH
Old 05-21-2006, 02:27 PM

Quote:
I have noticed that there are much more people on certain streams in latter years than say mid nineties. This is a result of the Internet and again I'm not so much opposed to sharing the stream.
I just think they're are more people using the public resources because there are just more people. Not because of something they read. Rural areas are disappearing rapidly and people have no where else to go to fish and such. I know there are some ignorant people that can't find anything without the internet but the Park Service has been offering maps for years. Besides that, finding water inside the Park is obvious.

I'm afraid that the trash is always going to be there because the smokies is the most visited National Park with over 12 million visitors a year. It's up to us to be the stewards. I don't mind caring for that beautiful place by donating my time. Maybe we should get a trash detail started though the Park Service.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:45 AM

I have been flyfishing for nearly 35 years. I can honestly say, anytime these articles come out, there is a significant increase in fishing pressure on the streams noted. If anyone remembers a few years back when the movie, "A River Runs Through It" came out, the number of fly fishers exploded, albeit, temporarily when everyone thought of the serenity of flyfishing (or thought they would be the next Brad Pitt . When I first started fly fishing, I was a four year old who's father started us on the NC side of the Smokies flyfishing. We also practiced in the streams of Cherokee, NC. There was scarecely any pressure then, and hardly the occurrence of trash that we now experience. A previous post was correct in this sense; there are flyfisherman (sportsman) and there are people who flyfish. They should not be confused as one usually respects the surroundings they are fishing in and works to ensure the long-term survivability of these surroundings for future generations. The other simply wants to wet a line for a day or a weekend and could care less what happens to the streams when he is not around. In the last year of fishing the smokies, I have managed to accumulate a number of garbage bags of nothing but fly line and tippets that people have broken off and left on the banks. This stuff is not bio-degradable and does not come from the "other" fisherman who drown worms and for some reason think its acceptable to sow canned corn in the streams. This is from our fellow flyfishermen who for some reason, see no need to practice picking up their own trash, let alone, someone elses'. As with Tnswede, I also carry a garbage bag or a Wal*&%^ bag in my waders just to pickup the trash I experience on the stream side. I don't do this for any accolades, I just want to preserve the streams for my children who are now flyfishers in their own right.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:51 PM

I guess we could all be in trouble:

I read American Angler and they constantly publish *"Top 10 fishing Hot Spots" type articles. This month they had a blurb about Nantahala. About a year ago "East Tennessee Free stone streams" was included in their Top 50. Last month the South Holston got a blurb. This month they named The Tennessee River behind Neyland Stadium as the best place for Carp fishing.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:10 PM

I'm thrilled to hear the news about the Neyland Stadium hotspot! I'm tying up some dough ball imitations right now.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:27 AM

Be careful.....Crowding could be a real issue; extremely so on weekends Sept - Nov. Strange phenomenon, ever since that article was published, boats by the hundreds crowd that one spot.

Old 05-23-2006, 03:30 PM

I too read the article. I thought it was well done, and especially liked the quotes from Paula in the article. I find it a bit far fetched, however, that the throngs will be headed some 3,000 feet or more to catch a 3-4-5-or 6 inch fish. I liked the article because it reminds me when I am in the Smokies, that is exactly what I like to do. I know that you who do fish this area know how difficult it is (or can be). I have been to Townsend now 4 times and truly enjoy the fishing there, but have also seen the same type articles for the Au Sable in Michigan. This type of fishing in the Smokies is difficult, and I would venture a guess that first timers would be a bit disappointed. As far as the trash issue goes, I have picked up my share of it as well.
Old 05-24-2006, 11:34 PM

tennswede is right--his concerns are right--his concerns are like most enviromental concerns in this part of the country--they are judged by sarchasm--and as you boys probably don't know--sarchasm is the defender of the lazy and "the not too smart".In the years ahead,the Smokies will be visited more than any park in the usa--the park is an easy vacation spot for almost everyone in the east--as the number of visitors increase--the number of fly fisherman will increase--the various fishing magazines will be there,taking pics,writing atrticles--maybe your right,no one will pay any attention--YEAH RIGHT
Old 05-25-2006, 01:14 AM

In spite of the crowds, the trash, the noise, inconsiderate, irresponsible, intolerable people, and the all-out media blitz, I say we all head-out, do some fishing regardless--- because, this just in:

none of us are getting out of here alive

Fish on!

/\/Vv~^^~v^N\/\/^~^~v^/\/\/VvV\/V\/V^~~~~~~^ [smiley=thumbsup.gif]~~^v^N\/\/^~^~v^/\/\/VvV\/V\/V^~~~~~~^~~N\/\/^^^~
<*)))>< <*)))>< <*)))><
Old 05-25-2006, 01:59 AM

Lauxier,
I don't think there's a person on this forum that doesn't care for the Park. And, FYI, the Smokies already gets more visitors than any other park in this country. 10-12+ million a year. For that much traffic and being in such close proximity to a small city, I think it's in pretty good shape. Stewardship from its users is the only way to keep it that way. If all the users don't believe in this then people like us will just have to pick up the slack. Me, I'm just very thankful that I have the opportunity to enjoy such a beautiful place. Regardless of some of the people junkin' it up! BTW, I noticed I got no responses from anyone concerning the "clean up" idea. Take, take, take, but no give.

On a far less serious note, Rainshaker..I love you, man. You kill me! U be havin' sum wisdom .