Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 05-25-2006, 10:01 AM

Default Re: Smokies and Brookies in the Spotlight

I'm all for cleaning the park. I have carried a plastic bag with me since at least 1999. I volunteer most years for TU's Hiwassee cleanup so I do my part. I don't necessarily believe that an organized clean up en masse is going to do more than if everyone just carried a plastic bag with them while fishing. I have preached this for deaf ears for a few years now. I know there are some who do the same but we are in the minority and unfortunately that is the way it will stay. I write this from experience and the fact that on my corner lot in Knoxville, it is like walmar's parking lot with trash. Yet have I seen anyone besides myself cleaning the street I live on. I do get a lot of strange stares though. I guess they think I'm on DUI detail or something. I jsut don't get it. I am frustrated and tired of the trash. I have visited at least 30 U.S. states and lived in 3 diffferent one's and none are as littered as Tennessee.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:37 AM

RFowler,

You words weren't entirely unnoticed. I will be packing a plastic grocery bag in my fishing vest for just that reason from now on, and not for just for GSMNP either.
Old 05-25-2006, 01:15 PM

Quote:
I have visited at least 30 U.S. states and lived in 3 diffferent one's and none are as littered as Tennessee.
I take it you've never been to Georgia, then

I don't think you guys are getting my drift here. I'm talking about working with the Park service. Not only to physically help them with removal but to help them educate people. It's all marketing man. People are like cattle, they just follow the herd. What if more of the herd thought badly of litterbugs? I'll just bet if the Park sevice saw a group of people working hard to take care of the Park then they would be more likely to listen to those people and their ideas. Now are you catching my drift?

Quote:
I do get a lot of strange stares though. I guess they think I'm on DUI detail or something.
I've been thought a fool by fools many times. I consider it a compliment.

Old 05-25-2006, 07:53 PM

Rusty!

I see your point but I respectfully disagree. I don't see any hope in educating people who don't have an interest in keeping it clean. The only thing that works is not democratically possible. You probably know what I mean? Singapore and gum comes to mind. Anyway, I appreciate you thoughts on this. Let's just agree that If more of us would carry a bag it will help. Forget about trying to educate people who doesn't care. If it does not have an economic incentive to do something or not do something Joe Public won't respond. I guess I'm getting bitter in my old age.

As for Georgia being littered, yes it is everywhere, but I believe the reason why Tennessee stands out is the fact that the politicians doesn't prioritize litter clean up in our state. Anyway, ANYONE GOING FISHING THIS WEEKEND? I HOPE WE DON'T GET TOO MUCH RAIN.

Hans
Old 05-26-2006, 01:52 PM

You're probably right, Hans.