Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 05-19-2006, 05:36 PM

Default Photographing fish

Have seen many pictures of some prized catches on here. Am curious if anyone has problems reviving them after returning them to the water. Have never laid mine on the ground to photograph them for fear I would be causing irreparable damage but maybe I am being a little too cautious??
Old 05-20-2006, 06:13 AM

Default Re: Photographing fish

If I am by myself, I usually pass on the pictures. If I am with someone, we keep the fish in the water until we are ready to take the pictures. In either case, I use standard reviving techniques before I release.
Old 05-20-2006, 03:49 PM

I have concerns about laying fish on rocks, dirt or plants in order to photograph them. It strikes me as being pretty hard on the fish, especially once they start flopping. If they're not flopping, then they're probably half dead already.
Old 05-20-2006, 06:21 PM

If you are going to photograph a fish, PLEASE have the camera somewhere ready to go QUICKLY! When I take pictures, I have the camera where I can grab it as soon as the fish is almost to hand. If the fish will accept being held long enough for a picture before it is exhausted, great! Otherwise it should be released. I agree with the previous posts as well, don't put the fish lying on its side on dry land. If there are weedbeds in the water that are thick enough to support the fish and keep it in the water, use those or else lift it gently high enough to get a picture and then release it. A picture is NOT worth the life of the fish in my opinion at least!

David Knapp
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 05-22-2006, 08:42 AM

I like to attach my camera case to a "Bino Buddy" binocular strap. It's designed for bowhunters to keep binocolars compressed again your chest so they stay out of your way. I'll attach both sides of the case to the clips, them I'll also hook the wrist strap of the camera to a clip so I don't have to worry about dropping it in the drink. I used to always bring a camera but never use because it was too much hassle to dig it out of my vest. Now, I take tons of pictures every time I'm out. With the camera immediatelly accessable, it only adds a couple seconds of stress to the fish.