Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 06-06-2006, 04:54 PM

Default Re: Caney Fork Redneck

Quote:
...it is humorous to hear about people yelling at him for ruining "their fishing spot" when he literally owns the river and bar they are fishing from. he has no problems with people fishing...but will not tolerate people who abuse his family if they want to enjoy their property.

fighting over fishing is silly...and has the potential for something really bad...like guns getting pulled
I couldn't agree more that it's silly to fight over fishing but sometimes people push too far. You have to stand up for you rights, sometimes. Just like the friend you mentioned, I bet he would fight to protect his family. BTW, I used to own TVA tailwater property but I never did think "I literally owned the river". If I did, I think that would've been potential for heated arguements. Your friend is right to hold his tongue but if his family is envolved then I also think he is within his rights to do something about it.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:38 AM

I am going back up this weekend and camping with my son and one of his friends. Hopefully only the good rednecks will be there. I just came back from the Great smokey mountians and was proud of both of my children. My daughter at the age of 8yrs old respects nature better than most adults. we past some rocks one a back county hike that had peoples names written on them, my daughter turned to me and said " You know I hate people littering, but that will one day go away. but daddy these names on these rocks will last forever, won't they?" I think that I need to get her to give lessons to people like the one's I met in the river. She also caught a trout on a rooster tail in Gatlinburg that was foulhooked in the gills. I did all I could do to return it alive but it struggled at our feet for about 20min. She turned to me and asked it I ould catch it in my net and give to the man that was keeping trout that was fishing down from us, so we don't let it go to waste, because she didn't think it was going to live. When I gave the trout to the man and his grandson I also gave him the rooster tail She was using, you would have thought they won the Lottery. Like I said I am one proud Dad.
I will give a report after I return sunday on the Redneck hatch on Caney Fork.
Old 07-15-2006, 12:49 AM

OK, just have to put this in. Some of you may know Dr. Brad Cook, the TN Tech professor who teaches some entomology courses for LRO (BTW, he is a great guy. I was a student of his in college. We called him Sasquatch. Rather, some of the Water Center researchers/grad students did; he was too nice a guy for me to call him that).

Anyway, he was fishing the Betty's Island of the Caney and was approached by a man with a shotgun. The guy demanded that he leave, saying he was trespassing (he wasn't). I think the guy with the shotgun ended up leaving before it got too heated. If anyone is in contact with Brad, yall could ask him for the full story.

I've had plenty of experience with rednecks over the years. I was born and raised one in rural TN, but I don't claim the redneck heritage that other folks from this area sometimes proudly do. Redneck to me means poor education, teen pregnancy, loud camaros, meth labs, hate crimes, subsidized living and xenophobia. I think the best way to handle rednecks is to pity them, because they often come from environments that contribute to such behavior. After you are done pitying the redneck messing up your fishing, then react however makes you feel best. I would have told that guy who called you a dumb _ of a _ to "go to _ you stupid _ _ redneck." But depending on my mood, I may have just walked off. Just do what makes you happiest!

Having said all that, my wife's family in Albany, NY is surrounded by a neighborhood where there are 3 huge, jacked-up trucks. And her extended family, like mine, is full of jobless, ignorant, drug-abusing rednecks. They live everywhere, from Biscayne Bay to Mt Rainier to the Catskills. So they aren't just a southern thing. I want to be clear here: I don't blame anyone for a poor and rural upbringing, lacking opportunity. But I do want to help them out of their squalor. Sometimes calling a redneck exactly what he is might be the best thing for him to hear. If you go too far with your help, be able to run fast, like me.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:56 PM

i have my own redneck story too.
i was fishing avery productive run in one of my special places on the caney, when a canoe comes around the bend.they see me catch one or two before they got there, and when they did they dropped an anchor right on the other side of it oblivious to the trout scattering every which way some between my legs. the first thing they did was drop two poles baited with bright green powerbait into the water below them an d reach into the cooler and pull out two cans of Pabst blue ribbon out. the whole time ive been standing there with my jaw dropped down to my waist. if it hadnt been a sunday afternoon i believe i would said some words to the two guys. but i just waded on down to the next pool and caught a few fish when out of the corner of my eye i see the canoe come floating down. when one of the guys asked"whater they bitin on" i did the best i could a and said "a gold ribbed parachute female blue winged adams"(dont know how i came up with that). the guy that asked said "jimmy dont believe we got one a those" and jimmy said "nope dont believe we do."
Old 08-03-2006, 11:31 AM

i would've asked for one of those PBR's

Grumpy
Old 08-03-2006, 01:08 PM
Administrator

I have a redneck story too...

"Once upon a time, a girl who had never flyfished before, dated a redneck who used to fish the Caney Fork river. *He taught her how to flyfish...ZOMG!!! It was lurrrve! *They married, opened a fly shop and lived happily ever after!" 8-)

Paula

Old 08-04-2006, 03:43 PM

not really a redneck story,but it amazed me when i fished up there,at 3 guys in a alum bass boat came fishing down to me while i was wading,i had been having good luck in an area when they used their 70hp gas motor to position themselves around me.right thru where i was fishing and back and forth.seems like back when i was a kid in my bass fishing days with my dad,he always instructed me about showing others respect(to them fishing and the area they were fishing)sure would be nice if that were the case these days.
good fishing everyone
dalefish
Old 08-04-2006, 06:08 PM

Quote:

"Once upon a time, a girl who had never flyfished before, dated a redneck who used to fish the Caney Fork river. *He taught her how to flyfish...ZOMG!!! It was lurrrve! *They married, opened a fly shop and lived happily ever after!" 8-)

Paula
, ugh, that's a love story ain't it?

Grumpy
Old 08-04-2006, 09:41 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Quote:

Paula
, ugh, that's a love story ain't it?

Grumpy
Hells bells! I forgot the redneck part.....

"She now *is* one! The End"

Paula

Old 08-05-2006, 12:03 AM

Such a fitting ending, Ms. PB'r!