Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 06-02-2006, 04:09 PM

Default Western NC Fishing

I'm looking at heading over to try out Deep Creek and the Nantahala next week, any advice on access, good places to start or general local knowledge would be much appreciated. Have not fished much on that side of the mountains but have heard some good things about both places.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:32 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to scflyfisher
Default Re: Western NC Fishing

Phlyphisher,

I fished Deep Creek last Friday night for about 2 hours before getting rained out. I'm no Deep Creek expert, but I've always caught fish on the basics i.e. prince nymphs and pheasant tails, parachute adams and stimulators. The water was up and stained last week and I managed 3 small rainbows on a #10 prince down deep before the rain and lightning forced me home. Generally its good to hike up the Deep Creek trail about one mile to the confluence with Indian Creek. Below this point you are likely to see a lot of tubers, but no tubers are allowed above Indian creek. Although I have not fished Deep Creek a lot, it is a very nice place that I always enjoy. Hopefully the water will be a little better for you than it was for me.

scflyfisher
Old 06-02-2006, 06:32 PM

Thanks for the tips. I've heard that a hike in at deep creek of a mile or so is well worth the effort.

Any info about the Nantahala? I'm curious as to whether they release everyday or if at this time of year the best fishing is strictly above the powerhouse.
Old 06-03-2006, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Any info about the Nantahala? I'm curious as to whether they release everyday or if at this time of year the best fishing is strictly above the powerhouse.
http://www.nantahalapower.com/lakes/generation/

Here's a link for Nanty generation schedules, phisher. Duke generates pretty much every day in the summer. With DH being over above the powerhouse, I think I would stick to Deep Creek and the smokies.