Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 06-06-2006, 08:44 AM

Default Leader length

When I am making short casts 1.5 rod lenghts of fly line and shorter many times my leader doesn't turn over properly. This seems to happen more often when I am using a short rod. When using a 6-7 ft rod what is your favorite leader length? If it is less than the shortest commercial leader (7.5 ft) how do you make it shorter, shorten the butt or tippet. If you make your own will you share the taper?

Thanks
Tom

P.S. Sure hope the hackers don't force the board off line again
Old 06-06-2006, 09:26 AM

Default Re: Leader length

I like a 7 1/2 with an aprox 2 foot 5X-6X tippet for drys which I mostly fish. I use my short rod for bluegills- prefer 9ft. for GSMNP. I don't want much line nor leader on the water, 7 1/2 turns over great for me. I would use longer leaders on larger streams or tailwaters.
Randy Sale
Old 06-06-2006, 12:19 PM

Default Re: Leader length

I agree with Kytroutbum on the length of both leader and tippet for the park for general fishing. *Nymphing, you can add a little more tippet if needed to get the fly down to where the fish may be depending on how and where the fish are feeding. *

If you are having trouble getting the leader to turn over, you might could try a lighter weight leader. *I don't know what size you are using. *Brand may play a role also, although I've never experimented much with different brands. *Orvis Mirage and Frog Hair are all I've used and they perform well.

Proper presentation on short casts can be difficult sometimes because you're not generating much momentum with the line to really engage the rod. *Try going into LRO and casting different rods short distances to see which one may work best for you. *Sometimes a different type of rod can relly make a lot of difference. *Any of the staff would be helpful and informative.

Good luck! *