Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 06-05-2006, 09:54 PM

Default advice for elkmont fishing

Been camping @ elkmont for 16 of my 29 years. I love to fish for trout. But never had much success in smokies. been reading up on the posts and sites here. I kind of know some better things to try now. I absolutely love this site. Any advice on spots and times to catch grill size trout around elkmont would be greatly appreciated. I will be making my yearly pilgrimage very late june thru early july.

the more I think about this trip, the more I want to sell all and move! I am tormented.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:27 PM

Default Re: advice for elkmont fishing

My recipe-6x tippet small beetles cast under the shaded overhanging branches along the bank, DT line with a very dull color, move very slowly stealthfully. The stream is FULL of fish. I caught 25 fish on the 4th of July last year during the afternoon. You will not believe the number of rises during a good evening spinner fall. The campground itself under the bridge past the office has lots of decent fish. Some of my best fishing has been just past the cabins. Stalk them!!!

Tight lines
Randy Sale
Old 06-05-2006, 10:34 PM

I shall stalk. Like Indian Scout looking for large buffalo. I know exactly the spots you say. the new techniques I have read , i cant wait to try.

Maybe I will strip down and cover myself in mud and leaves. Forget I said that.

Thank you
Old 06-06-2006, 09:18 AM

Kemosobe- Make like Great Blue heron
Seriously, the water above Elkmont, I think is one of the harder streams to fish. There is a lot of activity, fishing pressure. This is NOT a blueline back country stream. Generalizing and saying all you have to do is put on a Prince Nymph or Parachute Adams is misleading. I've been skunked many times up there, then had a fantastic day the very next.
I tell folks that by summer the fish up there can probably tell who tied the fly. Besides that, they all have Ph.D's in Entomology- from UT of course.
Randy Sale
Old 06-07-2006, 11:43 AM

TKPaul,

Just got back from GSM, and I have to say Elkmont was one of the highlights, not only fishing, but a great place to explore. We were very successful using yellow caddis' above the cabins. These holes are really small, and you will probably only get one shot, or maybe if they're nice, a second shot. If you miss it, or no one's home move up to the next hole. It's amazing the size of the water that will hold fish, so don't be afraid to try any pool you find. A bow and arrow shot sometimes is the only way to get it in some of these spots, but if you've got a 8'+ rod you can try just dropping in a short tippet, just be quick. *Good Luck.

Justfishing

<')))><
Old 06-07-2006, 10:31 PM

Thanks JF!

I am just busting out of my seams to get there. I cant wait much more!

Old 06-08-2006, 06:57 PM

TKP,
Just to make sure you don't go hungry. When it gets close to dark try the pool just below the main bridge. Put on whatever is hatching and hold on.

JF
Old 06-09-2006, 12:12 AM

I'd try a #14 parachute Sulfur with an orangish tinge to yellow body. Passes for both the Mayfly and the yellow sally stonefly. I'd had plans to get up there this week but got tied up for this week and possibly the next two. When you retire someone always finds a way to keep you from getting bored.
C & R some for me.
Randy Sale
Old 06-09-2006, 03:07 PM

I like the elkmont area,the fishing is very good especially in the summer.A few summers back,i was fishing next to the campground.The campground was full of campers.I think i was fishing a ant on a #5 tippet--i got a strike and realized i had a nice fish hooked.In fact it felt big on my 6'9" 3 wt rod--i played the fish for several minutes--It was a nice smallmouth--when i got hold of it and raised it out of the water--a loud noise erupted behind me--i turned to find at least 20 campers watching from the bank applauding,a group full of smiles.i was embarrassed so i did not bow--released the smallmouth ---later returned to my truck--the campground was like a little town on vacation--i think the smokies brings out the smile in us all.