Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 06-11-2006, 06:32 PM

Default Asbury Crossing

Can some helpful person describe the fishing and the conditions around this area?
I'm familiar on where it is but I have only looked at the water from the road right where Little Catalooche Creek comes in. I'm interested in the section downstream. How hard is it to wade? How much water can you cover in a day? Etc. How about water temps? If anyone feels this is asking too much just ignore this post. Thanks for any help. In return read my posts from the TN side. I don't hide much.

Tight Lines

Hans
Old 06-11-2006, 08:07 PM

Default Re: Asbury Crossing

Hans, the Asbury crossing is just downstream from the bridge and is a popular fishing section for about 1 mile downstream. The wading is pretty easy but you don't have a good trail anymore going down the creek. I used to go down the right side for a long way but it has grown up so badly and has not been maintained for years and it can get pretty rough, from having to crawl thru laurel thickets on your belly to complete loss of the trail for a short distance. The trail used to go down to a footlog but I don't know what condition it is in now( about 1/2 -3/4 mile downstream). There is another trail that goes down the left side of the creek but it i pretty tight also. The stream itself is one of the best dryfly sections that I've seen. The next problem is (small fish). YOU'LL HAVE TROUBLE GETTING ANYTHING OVER 10 IN. OUT OF THERE. The stream seems to have been taken over by large browns. You will see some of the most beautiful holes that should have 12-14in. rainbows in every one of them, but you will not get anything. That's always an indication that it is inhabited by a large predatory brown. You won't get any of those either. The only place that you'll catch fish is in the smaller runs or pockets that the bigger fish don't want or to catch the stream slightly dingy and fish large streamers. Fish it and let us know how that you fare.
* Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:16 PM

Thanks Hugh! From what you are describing, would it be be better going the other way. Upstream for a mile or so? Sounds like a trophy stream with PHD Trout.

I have fished Cattalooche down arund the cove area but never downstream of the cove.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:20 AM

Good morning Hans. You will probably catch larger fish if you go upstream, but you will see a lot of the same problems as you fish that section also. You will be going into a gorge for about 1 mile as you travel upstream and it is also some of the most beautiful water that you can imagine. I would seriously consider taking a friend on that trip. It's not extremely rough, but you can't just climb out easily either. You will come out at a group campground at the upper end and it's a long walk back to your car. You have to climb back up the mountain (via a gravel road) and hit the road to MT. Sterling and Waterville to get back to your car. It's pretty isolated. Consider using a small midge dropper under that Stimulator while you're fishing thru there or possibly a small dark soft hackle. They seem to like some movement in a fly in that stream. I think that you'll agree after you fish the creek that it is some of the most beautiful dry fly water in the Park. I'm looking forward to hearing about your trip. If you can get hold of a camera, please take pictures.
Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:27 AM

Hans,

I'm coming down this weekend and have always wanted to fish over by Catalooche.

Sounds interesting?

Let me know - count me in!! jbolduc@crane-tec.com
Old 06-13-2006, 06:30 PM

Justin!

I was thinking of doing that section in the fall when theres a chance for some big browns moving around. As for this weekend I'm not sure if I'm going yet. I have a couple of issues around the house to deal with. If I can get away I will let you know. If you don't hear from me by Friday around 9 pm I won't be going this weekend.