Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 06-15-2006, 01:14 PM

Default trout and weathe fronts

I am new to the flyfishing game. I have been several times with limited luck. I do have a question for the experts here. I have been fishing for bass, crappie, stripe etc since I was a kid. Especially when bass fishing, you are always mindful of cold fronts, warm fronts, cloud cover, wind, even wind direction. Often times, these conditions determine how good a day you might have on the lake. (Or whether you should even bother getting out of bed). Is this the same for trout? Are trout sensitive to changes in fronts, etc?
Old 06-15-2006, 02:00 PM

Default Re: trout and weathe fronts

I'm by far not an expert on this phenomenon but from my own experience I'd have to say yes. Probably not to the extent of the fish you mentioned but trout are affected in a negative way.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:09 PM

Brother convert, you can bet your last trout fly that frontal systems can be one of the most difficult things for an angler to deal with in the mountain streams. When there is a strong pressure change it causes trout to move to the bottom of the stream and hold tight. To get fish to hit under these circumstances you almost have to place a deep fished nymph right in front of their nose. It must be done slow and repeatedly, and sometimes some very slight strip jerking will help to provoke movement. It may be as much as 24-36 hours before they recover from this. When you encounter a day like this on the stream, use your best nymph fishing techniques. Be slow and precise as to where you drift your fly. Sometimes, even your best efforts will not produce.
Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:42 PM

I know this is going to sound totally stupid but my grandfather also believed the trout were more tempermental than other fish during the changes in the phases of the moon. Because of his Native American heritage and his ability to catch fish when no one else could, I personally always gave creedence to this. Any other viewpoints?
Old 06-15-2006, 06:18 PM

I can attest to the effect of a cold front, especially one with a high pressure ridge from the N or NW. Really does put them down, but there is usually a good spell before such actually arrives. How they know one is coming, beats me, but that is my experience from TN, to MI, to CO, to UT, etc. I guess that is why it is called "fishing" rather than "catching." Watson