Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 06-14-2006, 03:18 PM

Default RE:Byron's story on nymphing...

In the fishing report Byron told about a gentlemen who used a nymph and small split-shot sinkers to nymph with and no strike indicator. I took up this great sport of fly fishing about 6 years ago. I was in Townsend on vacation and decided to bike up into the park on morning. I stopped and watched this gentlemen fly fish. I had always been intrigued by flyfishing and after watching him and the setting got me hooked. I taught myself by reading articles on the internet and magazines. Even after 6 years, there is not a fishing trip that goes by that I do not learn something.

One interesting article I remember stated that if you are not getting hung up every now and then, you are not fishing nymphs correctly. Makes sense. The reason I use nothing but sinkers and bead headed nymphs is because I had trouble trying to tie on the strike indicator. So one day, I just said to heck with it and done it the old-fashioned way. As a boy I always kept my right fore-finger under my line while fishing using a Zebco reel for a bite and it still works for me today using my 4 wt. fly rod. I have an extra spool I take with me that has a 12 ft. sinking tip that helps a lot also. Last week while fishing in the park I caught most of my fish on a hare's ear nymph. I still like to feel the "tick...tick" of a trout digging for the nymph and trying to set the hook at the right time. Most of the time I miss, but when I get lucky, it makes it even more satisfying.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:12 PM

Default Re: RE:Byron's story on nymphing...

WVF

Great post.

Never would have thought that such a quiet, simple strike could produce such a rush. What you described is, for me, one of the great satisfactions fly fishing has to offer. I could use some more practice on my timing as well. Matter of fact, I think I'll go practice tonight. Thanks for the post.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:51 PM

The take and the initial hook-up is very exciting, indeed! It imparts a feeling that touches the soul.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:56 PM

I like it when you are nymphing and catch a fish, even a nice one and after you play and release the fish you are thinking about everything that happened to see what it is trying to teach you, and you really think about it but can't figure out how you knew there was a fish on in the first place. that means that your 6th sense is working on all cylinders or you're just lucky, either way it ought to be a good day
Old 06-15-2006, 03:14 PM

I am sure there is no one out there that has not experienced the sensation of starting to pick up your line to discover a fish has either taken our nymph or a drowned dry....then the problem becomes how you answer your buddy when he asked how they took it or what you were doing to extract such a prize....the problem then becomes do we lie, feed them a line of BS or do the unthinkable and admit we don't really know and were just lucky.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:27 PM

This is really off the Smokies trail, but I know what y'all are talking about when nymphing. I have fished the Frying Pan in CO a few times, and everyone knows abt the "meises" (sp?) shrimp that were put in the reservoir above the dam to feed the lake trout. Well..., they don't all stay in the reservior, and the trout that feed below are huge and very smart. I once stood in the river as two browns at least 24 inches each used me as structure to feed behind, but for the first two times there I was skunked in the trophy water below the dam with shrimp. Finally caught abt a 16' brown on the rig, and while I do not care if I ever get back to the FP, finally scoring with that nymph rig was worth the trip. I just have to put that river in the too hard pile. Watson
Old 06-16-2006, 12:56 PM

thanks for the replies, I enjoyed reading everyone of them.

Rog1, I have had that happen more than once when picking up my nymph for another cast and feel the trout on the other end........