Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 01-31-2006, 09:58 AM

Default Yellowstone Trip

I will be travelling with a small group of friends to Yellowstone this year in late July/early August. It will be a week long trip. Most of the time will be spent fly fishing, but we plan to take a day to do some sight seeing as none of us has ever been there. I'm very excited about the trip. Yellowstone has always been the ultimate fly fishing destination in my mind. We are well read on the streams, regulations, bears, lake trout, whirling disease, etc (I own the books by Mathews/Molinero, Richard Parks, and Ken Retallic). We plan to hit several of the famous streams and lakes more or less to get a feel for things so we'll be better prepared for future trips. We'll be camping roadside most of the trip. Any body have any general advice for our trip (flies that are must haves, streams to definitely hit/avoid, things to look out for, etc.)? Or does anyone an interesting story to tell about Yellowstone? Any reminiscing? Thanks a lot for any advice or stories,

hawgdaddy
Old 01-31-2006, 10:21 AM

Default Re: Yellowstone Trip

Hawgdaddy,

You are in for the trip of your life. I went to Yellowstone this last summer for the second time, first time fishing though. It is incredible to say the least. I was there early enough that the Firehole was not too warm yet so I fished it a lot and had a blast. One thing I would recommend based on my trip is that you try some of the small backcountry lakes if you have the time. The fish probably won't be as large, but getting away from the crowds is well worth it and the fishing can be great. Depending on which lakes you try, you can find Cutts and Grayling. Also, the fish on the small lakes aren't picky. I spent three or four hours fishing a small lake and started with a parachute Adams. After catching 5 or 6 fish in about 20 minutes, the fly was mangled so I tied on a GRHE and fished it the rest of the day with equal success. If you have a float tube, that will definately help if you are fishing any of the lakes. Some of the small streams are fun also if you get tired of the crowds.

David
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 01-31-2006, 11:01 AM

David,
Thanks for the advice. We definitely plan to hit a couple of small streams or lakes. The vast majority of our fishing experience has been on small Smokies streams. I figure after a couple of days of getting whipped on the larger streams, we'll all be ready to catch some brookies in relative seclusion for awhile. Speaking of backcountry lakes, I would love to take a two week lake fishing trip through the Beartooths or Wind Rivers at some point in my life. So much water and so little time...

hawgdaddy
Old 02-02-2006, 09:48 PM

I was fortunate enough to live in WY for several years, and though I have traveled quite a bit, no place I've seen is as awe-inspiring as Yellowstone. Previous posts are good advice in my opinion, especially about the backcountry. Yellowstone gets awfully crowded, and like the Smokies, putting in some hike time may take up fishing time, but it makes the overall experience better. I always found it relatively easy to match the hatch in Yellowstone, no top secret special flies required, and I advise taking a few streamers, too!

If you get outside the park, I'd fish the Henry's Fork just to say you have, but I personally prefer the Madison as you get near Ennis, Montana. It can be tricky water, though, so be careful.

Back inside the park, let me say be careful again. I thought I was pretty seasoned growing up in the Smokies, hunting and fishing my whole life. But the altitude in the Rockies will make you 75% of the man you think you are, and you can't whip a bear at 100% anyway. It's surprisingly easy to get turned around, because you have to look at things differently than you do here in our hills. In my opinion, though, that's what makes for such a great experience... testing yourself. You'll love Yellowstone, and the fact that this post ended up being three times longer than I'd intended reminds me that I must be missing that country...
Old 02-23-2006, 12:48 AM

Been to Yellowstone quite a few times, can't get enough of it, you are in for a great trip. Don't know if I will make it this year or not. I'd suggest Trout Lake, you will see Rainbows the size of Navy Subs. I've fishing the 2nd Meadow of Slough Creek twice and will do it again if and when I go back, never had any problem with crowds up there, enough water to last many life times.

Grasshoppers and PMD's will net you many fish that time of the year.

I live just up the road from you, any more questions just ask, I live on the Elk.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:50 AM

Elk_riverrat,
Thanks for the advice. We had planned to hit Slough Creek, but I was worried about how crowded it would be. Sounds like we'll at least be able to find a spot to wet a line. Trout Lake was one of the lakes I thought of fishing if for no other reason than we plan to spend a lot of time in that corner of the park. I've heard the fishing can be tough in the lake later in the season, but I would definitely like to get a look at one of those monster rainbows. Who knows, maybe I could fool one.

I have a practical question that maybe someone could help me with. We plan to camp roadside for most of the trip, but we will probably get a hotel for a night or two to freshen up. Anyone have an idea on how tough it would be to find a room in the Cooke City area in August without a reservation? I currently plan to reserve a room, but it would be nice to not be tied to a hotel on a specific night. Thanks for all the help,

hawgdaddy
Old 02-23-2006, 11:12 AM

Hawgdaddy,

I'm not sure about the hotel room, but I do know that they are generally pricey out there, especially during peak season. However, something to think about is if you are just wanting showers, some of the campgounds in the park have showers that you can use. There may be a fee per shower of around $3.00. If you are wanting to camp in the park, be sure to get reservations. Lots cheaper than getting a room and you can't beat the setting.

David

"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 02-23-2006, 11:32 AM

Plateau Angler is correct, I always end up staying most of my time in the Lamar Valley, but the last two trips I got camping reservations in Madison (central location), see lots of animals in the ealy morning drives. Old Faithful Inn and Roosevelt Lodge is where I shower, plus Roosevelt food is great and affordable. I'd say to drive out the East entrance to Cody and back to the NE entrance (Silver Gate) on the Chief Joesph Hwy. and over the Beartooth Hwy to Red Lodge, will be worth your time.

What I do is get camping reservations and use them if I have to, but if Slough has a slot get it (I never been that fortunate) or Pebble Creek, have one person to stay in your new campground and go and cancel other, only cost you a night cost.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:48 AM

Thanks for the advice. I had seen in some literature that you could use the showers at some of the lodges and campgrounds. We'll probably take full advantage of that. Good advice about reserving a camp spot as a backup if Slough or Pebble aren't available. We were hoping to stay at one of those. We had also considered staying in one of the FS campsites just outside the park if nothing inside the park was available. Thanks a lot,

hawgdaddy
Old 02-28-2006, 04:34 PM

Went to Yellowstone the 1st week of June in 2005. It is AWESOME. I fished the Firehole River and a few other small streams of the park. It will be crowded in July/Aug, so if you like being by yourself I recommend trying some of the secluded streams that require a short hike. Be prepared, the difference it altitude is killer on the hike. thinner air will take your breath fairly quickly. I used West Yellowstone, MT as my home for the week.
It is a wonderful experience. It is not uncommon to be fishing and have a herd of 50-100 Buffalo cross the river 20-30 yards from you, espically when fishing the Firehole. Wildlife is everywhere just respect nature and you'll enjoy it.
Caught some nice fish too, if you like to fish the smokies just wait!!!
The fishing is different, but it is great to fish the "big water".