Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Meet the New Members > New Members Board

Old 06-20-2006, 12:16 PM

Default spinning tackle for taking these critters

fished middle prong yesterday with my son. beautiful day to be out. however, we didnt have much success. can anyone give us some good tips on tackle? we threw "trout magnet" and single hook rooster tails 1/16th oz. do we need smaller? also, he asked me about rock bass but Im not sure which would be a good stream to try. any ideas?
Old 06-22-2006, 08:46 AM

Default Re: spinning tackle for taking these critters

I would suggest either weighing down the spinner- tossing is cross stream and bringing it back as slow as you can. I would fish the riffles or larger streams then only when the water level is higher. My wife- specializes in a small black bodied Panther Martins. Trout fishing IN THE PARK with a spinner is just as off and on again as fishing flies. In the spring, when there are no hatches she'll fish even with me, then spend time reading books and enjoying nature later on as the streams drop.

Fishing the park for 30+ years, mostling higher elevations, I've only caught two smallmouth and those were very low almost in G'burg. Suggestions might be to try below Townsend or Gatlinburg, or Abrams downstream of the Abrams Creek Campground on the Park's edge toward Chilhowee Lake.
Tight lines
Randy Sale
Old 06-22-2006, 09:14 AM

You are on the right track...before my son got bit by the flyfishing bug he had used ultra light spin tackle with some good results....he mainly fished the trout magnet in the green color...right now I think a green weenie fished about 12-18" behing a split shot would also work....the trick is to fish these like a weighed nympg....throw them in at the head of a fall pool and keep just enough tension on the line to allow it to move downstream with the current...rather than a large ready made spinner look for a colorado blade spinner and replace the hook with a large nymph....you can also fish any of the local nymphs behing a split shot by drifting them through these pools....good luck.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:37 AM

Little River below the park in Townsend has some decent Small Mouth bass. *I have caught a few with a bead head pheasant tail nymph dropper. *the method mentioned above should work well with light spinning tackle. *Good luck.

All those who believe in Telekinesis, please raise my hand.

50.67% of all statistics are made up.
Old 06-27-2006, 02:53 PM

Howdy- I've fished the Park with spin and fly tackle. 1/16 oz. is good. Try different colors. I fish up stream. Rainbows can hang out right in, or around the
plunge pools ( Brookies too), throw right in there. Be stealthy-stay low and cast as far upstream as possible. Make sure you use single hooks (It might still be required) its alot easier on the small trout you'll hook.-Bob
Old 06-27-2006, 04:45 PM

[quote][Make sure you use single hooks (It might still be required) its alot easier on the small trout you'll hook.-Bob/quote]

Single hooks are required in the park. Treble hooks are against the law. you can buy rooster tails with a treble hook and just cut off two of the hooks.