Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 06-20-2006, 02:44 PM

Default Good 'ol Sipsey

After being run off the Sipsey by an unscheduled generation I have to admit my opinion had dropped considerably on this close to home tailwater stream. So after 3 months of grumbling and groaning my son and I decided to try it out this morning. We live in Birmingham and are exactly one hour to the water, which is great if you want to fly fish. I had checked the generation reports for a few days and it looked like because of all the heat, and lack of rain they were saving their generations for peak power time, afternoon. We arrived around 7:30am, to that great misty morning fog. It was going to be a hot one, but for a few hours we could enjoy the coolness of the river, before the sun burned off the mist. I had a large caddis on with a bead head nymph trailing about 4 feet. I immediately took a fish on the nymph and continued for the next 3 hours to catch and release over a dozen fish. I forgot how much fun these fish were. I lost at least 6 fish to acrobatics (and a barbless hook) and missed at least that many more. None of the fish hit the dry, but were rising all around me. Since I was catching so many, I decided not to worry about the dry, but will probaly try a big ant or hopper next time. A few of these fish measured right at 12 inches and were stockier than most of the fish we caught in the GSMNP. If you can hit this little beauty early in the morning and during the week you will have loads of fun and certainly get those fly fishing juices flowing again.

Justfishing
<')))><
Old 06-20-2006, 11:11 PM

Default Re: Good 'ol Sipsey

wow................great report! I really, really, really wanted to drive down today........but maybe another day.

Thanks for the posts and pics!
Old 06-21-2006, 12:06 PM

BF,

Too bad you couldn't make it. I forgot how nice it was to be able to have room to make those 30-40 foot cast without snaggin' trees. Hope you can make it down soon.

Justfishing
<')))><
Old 06-21-2006, 04:42 PM

THANKS FOR THE REPORT AND THE PICS.THE SIP IS AS CLOSE AS WE`VE GOT IN ALABAMA TO TROUT HEAVEN.ITS A SPECIAL PLACE.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:09 PM

Nice fish. I went last week and we had the whole place practically to ourselves. Caught a good bunch in about an hour's time. Wish I could have stayed longer, but had to get back for one of my girl's ortho. appt.
The fish do seem to be a bit stockier and larger. We kept 2 for eats and put the others back for the rest of y'all! It is nice to fish right now esp. in the mornings with the fog rolling in and out. Cool by the water, but hot as everything hiking back out. Maybe with the lack of rain, they won't run the turbines as much and we'll have more good mornings on the Sipsey.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:50 PM

BFL,
Glad to hear you had some luck. We may try Friday morning. Like you said, it's nice to just be in the river with the cool fog rolling by.

Justfishing
<')))><
Old 07-08-2006, 12:19 PM

Headed up to the Sipsey on Friday morning. Arrived at about 7:30 and the fog was already off the water. It was a tough morning and I had to work real hard for three fish. Again, the fish were nice size, all around 12" and really thick. The best thing about these fish has to be the fight and acrobatics they possess. The air time on these fish is incredible and just getting them to the net is exhilarating, and made the slow morning bearable. Not sure why these fish hit when they do. I must had drifted the same line 20-30 times before I would get a take but it was always worth the wait. If I can't make it to one of those 100 best streams, I can always head to this little beaut to get re-charged. Thanks again Sipsey.

justfishing
<')))><
Old 07-10-2006, 04:50 PM

fished the sipsey(or should i say kinda guided)sunday the 9th.started about 9am and things were tough.had the wife,her sister(who had never flyfished before),and the wife`s boss(he`s learning)with 3 people flailing the water and a full moon close,that has a way of making things tough.managed 1 fish and lost 3 before storms ran us off.fun day anyway.fished the 4th and had the river to ourselves.caught 4 on a dropper rig and 8 or so on top.got broke off by 1.the sipsey is fishing good with some smart fish.
dalefish
Old 07-10-2006, 05:39 PM

DF,

Haven't had much luck on top this summer. Good to see you figured it out. What were they in the mood for?

justfishing
<'))))><
Old 07-11-2006, 11:30 AM

i tie what i call a midge emerger(like a red ***)i use a #18 shrimp hook.tie red thread up the shank with about 3 small tails in grizzly,wrap clear or gray streach tubing over that,make a small ball of muskrat dubbing and finish off with slate CDC or grizzly hackle.the CDC floats better,i use the hackle when i want to strip it.i used the same fly on the caney fork the 2nd of this month with great results.i fish the sipsey alot,maybe i`ll see you there.
dalefish