Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 07-09-2006, 04:06 PM

Default Best Flies

I fish the Clinch River alot and i'm trying to gather information on some of the flies to use on the Clinch River. It doesn't matter what kind of fly (Dry, Nymph,Terrestrial,etc.) just some of the flies to use on it. This would be alot of help.
Old 07-09-2006, 07:40 PM

Default Re: Best Flies

Used to be a lot of scuds this time of year. Sulphurs should be over. I have fished Clinch seriously the last few years so I am out of touch a little.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:41 PM

What Color and Sizes of scuds do you use?
Old 07-09-2006, 09:32 PM

Most of my fish have been on midges. Size 18 - 20 zebra midges, black or red. Also had some success with bead head brassie also in sizes 18 - 20. I fish these as a dropper behind any dry fly that I can see easily.

I don't know what drys would work best this time of year and would be interested to hear some other's ideas.

All those who believe in Telekinesis, please raise my hand.

50.67% of all statistics are made up.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:40 AM

When you say zebra midges in black and red what part of the fliy is red, the thread or the wire? And, what color of brassies have worked?
Old 07-10-2006, 08:59 AM

Quote:
When you say zebra midges in black and red what part of the fliy is red, the thread or the wire? And, what color of brassies have worked?
The red zebra midge has red thread. The brassies that I hae used I believe were olive.

All those who believe in Telekinesis, please raise my hand.

50.67% of all statistics are made up.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:07 AM

I agree with the zebra midge. I prefer the black body, fine silver wire for a rib, and a black tungsten beadhead. Just use tying thread to build up the body, then wrap the wire the opposite way to reinforce the thread.

Another midge pupa pattern that has been performing better than the zebra midge for me lately is the v-rib midge in olive. Just put a small bead on a "scud style" hook, attach a section of olive v-rib material. Wrap that forward to the bead, tie it off and whip finish. The segmented and shiny look of this fly seems to really appeal to the fish. Works for me anyway. I caught a few above the jail yesterday with this fly when little else would work. You can tie it with black v-rib also, but the olive works a little better for me.

I also caught a couple on a size 20 midge emerger. It was tied on a scud style hook also. It is basically a parachute style fly with a trailing shuck. Gray body with a black sewing thread rib.

Don't forget streamers! Some of the biggest fish I ever caught on the Clinch (and other tailwaters around here) have been on Dean Campbell's Christmas Bugger.

Good luck!
Old 07-10-2006, 11:45 AM

Backcountry FF, you wouldn't happen to know where I could find the tying recipe for the midge emerger and Dean Campbell's Christmas Bugger? And for Griff, what color of thread and wire do you use on the Brassie?
Old 07-10-2006, 02:10 PM

I had a spelling error in my post. I meant to say that I haven't fished the Clinch seriously in several years. Scuds I used in the past were in the 14 to 16 size bracket. I believe the other suggestions about midges are better since I'm not up to date on the river right now.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:03 PM

Another question for Griff about the red zebra midge, what color would the wire be?