Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 06-25-2006, 10:02 AM

Default Greenbrier Saturday June 24th, 2006

Wanted to put the picture by itself before I write the ramblings. Anyway, I went up Greenbrier Yesterday with my friend Pineman. We met up at Ramsay Cascades Trailhead at 11 a.m. I had talked with two other fishermen that morning. One of the guys was a gentleman from CA. He caught a few roadside. As we were rigging up several other fishermen were either fixing to walk up the trail or had fished earlier that morning. We began fishing at around 11:30 am and the weather was sunny. We began to pick up small fish immediately and as we were hiking upstream we caught more and more. I caught several decent Brook Trout that might measure seven inches each. I started to get really excited since I was about to experience my best quantity day in the Smokies ever. I was getting cocky and excited and before I know it I threw my Yellow Stimulator in to a fast run and caught the Bow in the picture. He was 9+ inches. This was later in the day and the bow's were getting active. I went upstream and cast in the next pool and lo and behold if I didn't catch another one in the same size. I couldn't believe my luck. I managed to catch and release 40 Brook Trout and 13 Rainbows today. My best day ever in the park. I lost several more good sized bows and everything was just unbelievable. I couldn't help my grin on my face and as I was getting a little to assured of myself the inevitable happened. The Fish God's decided to take me back down to earth. I instantly fell on my back and arm and got really soaked. It is hurting pretty bad this morning but it was worth it. Neal was doing okay but lost a few of his better ones. Just one of them days when it was my lucky day. Next time I'll get skunked. I know for a fact how everything has to fall in place once in awhile but it is no guarantee for it to happen. The water temp was 62 and the afternoon produced two thundershowers which I believe made the fishing better.
Old 06-25-2006, 03:09 PM

Default Re: Greenbrier Saturday June 24th, 2006

Hans,

I'm still learning the park. *Is that near Metcalf Bottoms or to the right at the middle prong trailhead?

Kevin
Old 06-25-2006, 04:58 PM

You are actually on the wrong path. Greenbrier is the middle prong of Little Pigeon River. It flows out of the park in to the community of Pittman Center east of Gatlingurg on 321. There's an entrance to the park five miles from Gatlinburg which takes you five miles up the road to Ramsay Cascades Trailhead. Little River is the other side of Gatlinburg.
Old 06-25-2006, 08:07 PM

Thanks for the help! I found it on a map and will give it a go soon. I appreciate you sharing information on here. I'm new and it really helps the learnng curve. I had Tim Doyle take me out a few weeks ago and learned alot. I live in Maryville and just took up Fly Fishing. I'm looking forward to trying some new spots. Thanks again!
Old 06-25-2006, 08:47 PM

Youre' welcome. I only ask people to respect the park and pick up litter when you can. I don't give out specific stream locations just general areas. The park is public land and belongs to all americans and all others who are visiting legally. Despite this I have already received a nasty email for giving out too much info. The only thing I can say is free speech still applies. Besides the park is not exactly a private section of a trout stream. There are at least five books sold nationally that gives out more info than I plus countless of Magazine articles. All I ask out of people is respect the resource.

Old 06-25-2006, 11:09 PM

I understand that people invest a lot of time in learning the things that they know and feel others should learn the hard way. I never litter and pick up anything I see that needs to go. I joined TU to try to learn more, but right now I'm working on my Master's and have class on Thursday. I'll keep learning and hopefully catch some fish soon. My cast is a bit aggressive and that is killing me in the park. Thanks again and I hope to see you on the stream one day to thank you in person!

kevin
Old 06-25-2006, 11:24 PM

A WARNING to any neophytes (newbies) out there. Respect the river in Greenbrair. The bottom I think, in especially the lower places, rivals Abrams for slipperiness. Wear Felts on the bottoms of your wading shoes and be very careful wading. Especially in Greenbrair and Abrams. These are my two favorite "swimming holes" I also busted a favorite 4 wt. in Greenbrair as I fell . *For sure awesome beauty, Greenbrair Cove can't be beat. *

Tennswede Thanks for sharing with those of us who couldn't make it this month. As for the emails, some folks need to stop and ASK THEMSELVES who helped them out at some time to make their sport more enjoyable. I have a "Paradise" on the Northeastern end of Yellowstone where I very seldom see Trout under a foot unless its a Brookie. 35-50 fish days of 12-18 inch Cutts and Bows ON TOP are common. I very rarely fish early morning or late evening. Some of the streams I fish come out of YNP but I hardly ever venture into the YNP. My wife claims that fish "just jump on the hook there" when describing it to people. *I got the tip to explore this area after being in a flyshop (North Fork Anglers)in Cody and discussing my plans. One of the guides, realizing the types of fishing experience I wanted steered me away from a "Magazine Article" stream where I was heading and said to check this area out. I did over several years and found my "Paradise". Describing general areas especially in the park shouldn't do much harm. When I've been asked for help on a stream in the park, etc. I try to use it as "a teachable moment" slip in the rules-single hook, no bait, and then slip in C &R and Barbless hooks.
Tight lines
Randy Sale
Old 06-26-2006, 08:02 AM

Tennswede,

Thanks for the story and Information. You are a big help to people like me who are new tho the area and want to fish the smokies and catch some fish. People need to understand this board was set up for people to exchange information. Once again Thank You
for your post

Patrick
Old 06-26-2006, 12:25 PM

Thank you all for the kind words. I know some people just feel like they want to be the only one's reping the benefits. Sure I like solitude somtimes too but I understand that in a National Park you are sharing. Anyways, I just got a little riled up about the tone in the email I got. I am going to talk to Paula or Byron or Daniel next time I'm in the store and I'm going to ask them if they feel that I should stop giving out information. I guess I just got hurt this time. I had the best day in the park period and I felt excited about it. I also remember how hard it can be for a person visiting the park for the first time or someone who is new to flyfishing to adjust to our kind of fishing.
Old 06-26-2006, 02:28 PM

I agree with you...it is all about sharing and helping. I have fished the Park waters for more than 40 years now and have never met anyone up there that has not shared a little info or knowledge when asked....benefits of the brotherhood. With all the books out on the Park it is hard to believe that there is anymore secret water out there. Now we may all have our special places but who hasn't experienced finding someone there before us...Last month my son and I fished several streams in NC that I had never stepped foot on and even some waters that I had either drove by or walked by getting to those special places that produced trout ..... I have always enjoyed reading your posts since I am familiar with most of the places you mention and it is the next best thing to being there...these boards can almost be territorial in some sense....early on the one thing I did discover is that when someone asks a question and there is a lack of ready responses then you are on the right track....I once posted a question about a NC creek I had read about in Ian's book and got all of one response.....told me all I needed to know....glad you had a banner day and Greenbrier is a wonderful place for this to happen.