Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 06-26-2006, 07:35 PM

Default Re: Greenbrier Saturday June 24th, 2006

if you wouldnt mind, could you just say that the fishing s----- and that it's not worth the effort of the big drive. Havent been down there yet this year and I'm missing it really bad.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to MTN_TRT

Im young and Ive been flyfishing for a few years (I luv it btw). And I think its stupid for ppl to get mad over sharing info. HEY GUYS-- none of us would be fishin right now if it wasnt for the exchange of information. If it wasnt for our grandfathers, fathers, uncles, or guys we met on the river showing us that fly or the run where all the brn trout are spawing or the hidden pool up that feeder creek- we wouldnt be fishing. Tennswede you're right about the freedom of speech thing. Ill use it right now--anyone gettin all upset and angry about info for public fishing areas needs to hang up their flyrod...cuz youre not enjoying the sport and everything that comes with it.

MTN_TRT

"LIFE IS GOOD"

www.cameracoffeeadventurego.blogspot.com
Old 06-27-2006, 07:41 AM

MTN_TRT!

You are correct, it is obvious that some people don't really enjoy the sport and all that comes with it. They just take all their everyday attitudes and problems with them when they go fishing and then you are wondering why do they even bother to fish. Oh well!

Old 06-27-2006, 08:51 AM

Keep sharing your info. Tennswede, youre one of the reasons that a lot of us read this board. My first foray into the park was in Greenbriar, had stayed in a cabin out that direction for the week. Because of that, it holds a special place for me. Fell flat on my back on one of them huge boulders and broke my reel. An appropriate initiation into GSMNP as it turns out. I think it was mid or late June when we were there, and I remember reading something ahead of time that the fishing wouldnt be great in that stream due to its lack of aquatic insects, etc. Sounds like at least a portion of it fishes pretty well. Sure as heck wish i was there.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:46 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Anyways, I just got a little riled up about the tone in the email I got. I am going to talk to Paula or Byron or Daniel next time I'm in the store and I'm going to ask them if they feel that I should stop giving out information. I guess I just got hurt this time. I had the best day in the park period and I felt excited about it. I also remember how hard it can be for a person visiting the park for the first time or someone who is new to flyfishing *to adjust to our kind of fishing.
Tennswede

Byron and I are on vacation....tarpon fishing in Florida, but got blown off the water by rain...I was just checking in on the board and noticed this thread. I could not help but comment. At Little River Outfitters, we have no secrets....none....period. We share info with our customers...all of them.

So, I have two words for you about whether you should stop giving out information:

DON'T STOP!

Feel free to continue sharing your info and enthusiasm on this board. You are an asset here!

Paula
Old 06-27-2006, 02:17 PM

Thanks everyone, It is nice to know that a lot of people feel that they get something out of my posts. Thanks Paula, I figure you all don't mind. I'm sure people will say Yeah, of course they will want you to tell stuff so they get more customers. I think that most people forget that if there wasn't free info and a capitalistic side to outdoor sports there wouldn't be any money coming in to the sport and ultimately the conservation funds would dry up. I end this discussion here because I don't want to get politics and fishing mixed up. Thanks everyone for the support and if you would like to discuss further please pm.
Old 06-27-2006, 02:42 PM

Greenbriar is great, but after almost stepping on a small timber rattler and run over by two bears I am looking for another place.

Actually I have fished it several times and only been disappointed once. The snake and bears just added to the outdoor experience.
Old 06-27-2006, 03:50 PM

Paula

Thanks for supporting tennswede and running a great shop.
LRO is the best shop in the southeast very friendly and helpful.

Patrick
Old 06-27-2006, 08:25 PM

Talking about snakes, I have yet to see a rattler or copperhead streamside. I remember reading somewhere that snakes don't like the sound of water. I think it might have been in Don Kirk's Book. That sounds a little far fetched since watersnakes are around the streams all the time. I guess I have been close to snakes several times it's just that they are elusive and probably saw or heard me long before I would have noticed them.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:47 PM

hans- tennswead,

just caught myself up on the topic - anyway i always appreciate you posts and the fact that you actually get out and fish, your not just sitting aroung your computer thinking about it.

so did someone email you and ask you to stop giving away spots??

if so i would like to ask them how many days they spent on the water last year? any quality fisherman can follow 50 yards behing someone almost anywhere in the park and still catch fish, so whoever complained isn't much of a fisherman or is just cranky.

it's all about beng friendly and sharing w/ folks because there are alot of people out there who need help on the stream.

keep up the good posts and expecially keep up the hard fishing.

justin