Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 06-30-2006, 07:14 AM

Default early August trip

coming down the first weekend of Aug. and have not fished the park in the summer months, is there much differance than in late fall or early spring which is what I am used to?? Also, we are bringing our friends family and he wants to try some trout fishing but has no waders......is the water ok to wade without waders during this time And of course last but not least, we will definately introduce him to L.R.O.

thanks for any replys,
buckeyetrouter

ps, my wife swears she is sitting in the truck while I am in LRO this time because she spent so much last time.....smart money says she won't be able to stay our of the store....
Jeremiah 29:13
Old 06-30-2006, 07:46 AM

Default Re: early August trip

Buckeyetrouter!

Wet wading can be done from basically the first warm weather in late April until late October. You will cook in waders right now. Water is warm at low elevations and your best bet is fishing high.
Old 06-30-2006, 11:52 AM

Quote:
...Also, we are bringing our friends family and he wants to try some trout fishing but has no waders......is the water ok to wade without waders during this time ....
I would suggest a pair of wading boots, no need for waders but the boots can help keep you from swimming. *The folks at LRO can help with where to go and what to use at that time. *Good luck. *

All those who believe in Telekinesis, please raise my hand.

50.67% of all statistics are made up.
Old 06-30-2006, 04:13 PM

thanks for the info, that is why I am addicted to this site......wonderful people who are willing to help !

Trust me, we will be in LRO.....

Thanks again
8-)Buckeyetrouter
Jeremiah 29:13
Old 06-30-2006, 06:40 PM

Hello Buckeyetrouter,

I am a native of the Buckeye state, LIma OH area. I think you will enjoy fishing the Park in the summer, for me its my favorite time of year to fish there since I don't need waders, just shorts and a good pair of felt bottomed wading shoes. Be prepared to hike a ways since the fishing will be tough in the lower elevation streams during that time of year. If you already don't have a book on fishing the Park you may want to consider getting Ian Rutter's or Don Kirk's books. They will help you to narrow down the numerous choices on places to fish and our enjoyable reading as well. I hope to be moving to Tennessee sometime in the next month so I will be closer to the Park and the tailwaters as well. Gook luck on your trip and enjoy.

Neal
Old 07-01-2006, 09:33 AM

I'm starting to think there are more Ohio natives that use this board than anyone else. I moved down here several years ago for the outdoor activities East Tennessee has to offer. You couldn't get me to move back.

buckeyetrouter, definatelly get felt soled boots. Don't think you can get by with an old pair of tennis shoes, like some friends of mine thought. You'd think the rocks have grease on them.