Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-01-2006, 06:36 AM

Default Lynn Camp 6-27

Hello all,

I am a little late writing this report, hopefully I won't get a nasty email like my freind Hans did after her wrote his Greenbriar report :P Last Tuesday was my last day in the Smokies on my combination job search/fishing trip. I originally was supposed to be heading back to Florida on that day, but it had rained the last couple of days and I wasn't able to get any fishing done. Tuesday was a beautiful day, so I called my boss and ask for one more day of vacation. I decided to fish Lynn Camp Prong since I was camping in Townsend and it was a quick drive to the trailhead. I hiked in several miles to fish some new water on Lynn Camp. This stream has always been good to me for some reason, and it did not fail me this day either. I was getting strikes in every run hole or pool when I got a good drift on a elk hair. I caught a bundle of rainbows and my first brookies on this stream. They weren't huge fish, an average of 6", with the largest being 8", but it was a great day in the Park. Plenty of solitude, eager fish and a great environment to relax me the day before my long drive back to Florida. On another note, I hope to be moving to western Tennessee sometime in the next month as I got a job offer yesterday resulting from an interview that I completed a week ago in Nashville. It isn't a signed deal yet, but it looks promising, and I hope it works out since I am ready to move from Florida to be closer to hill country and my family in Ohio. I am glad the Smokies got some much needed rain during my visit, it sounds like things were getting pretty dry before I got there.

Enjoy the fishing, and I hope to be in the area soon

Neal
Old 07-01-2006, 11:51 AM

Send a message via ICQ to christopher Send a message via Yahoo to christopher
Default Re: Lynn Camp 6-27

If you do move to that area, dont forget about the Caney Fork River between Knoxville and Nashville.It is stocked waters but great trout fishing 8-)
Old 07-01-2006, 04:00 PM

Neal!

I'm glad it might work out for you. As previous poster said. Caney would be a good spot. Also. You don't have too far to Elk River and Duck River tailwaters either. Hope to talk to you soon.
Old 07-03-2006, 02:03 PM

I fished that creek the next morning Pineman,there was a deer that had fallen down the chute at the bottom of the cascade.It had broken its back(or back legs)and was hurt.That was at 8am,when I came out at seven it was dead.I fished up above the old CCC camp and caught all rainbows.Usually catch some Brook trout up that way.The water was 59,and its ph was 6.Glad to hear you did well!
Old 07-03-2006, 03:51 PM

Hootie!

Do you use what we in Europe called lackmuspaper or do you use some new digital thingy? I would be interested in testing ph up high at some places where it looks like the creek is devoid of fish.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:09 AM

I used a chemical that mixes with the sample and the color it turns gives you the ph.I tested some rain that fell the other day here in west Mayberry,it was 4.5 that is scary!
Old 07-05-2006, 11:27 AM

Neal,

Good luck on the new job!

Hootie: where can one get that PH testing product? ...A Swimming pool store? Also, what thermometer are you using??

Thanks!
dan
Old 07-05-2006, 01:19 PM

Leinert,I took a sample in a clean water bottle and tested it at work.I work for a water treatment company.The thermometer I use is an Orvis.The temp reading was taken about noon about 30 feet below the confluence of Lynn camp and Indian flats.I actually took the sample from the small waterfall that hits the trail,as I was on my way out that evening.