Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-03-2006, 09:43 PM

Default Abrams--Tremont---Roaring Fork--June 27,28,2006

Made a 3 day trip to the Smokies--Could not help myself--My wife wanted the trip--I wanted the trip--We packed up and in an hour or two we landed safely in Gatlinburg via my 1976 Vette( 2 years in restoring).June 27--Fished Abrams starting at the campgrounds--caught 4 nice rainbows(11 inchers-maybe),2 browns(one was at least 13inches)-a new record for me--Was armed with copper johns and pheasant-tails--I love fishing nymphs especially when they are small (16'ish)--Had my usual 3wt,6'9",med fast action,5 peice,Montana made rod--Could feel the tap-tap-real clear--The weather was fine--Water was great--3 hours of tryingtopayattention to the make and model of thestream,while surrounded by MaMa Nature's newest fashions,made for a good day.
June 28--Tremont--not much happening--was a little crowded--Caught a 8 inch Brookie--then I caught another--was a tad below the parking lot at the road's end.
Roaring Fork--Parked,at the end,or at the bottom,of the nature trail.Walked back up the stream.Was fishing,copper john's--switched to adams parachutes both caught fish--The waters were full of rainbows-I caught and released at least 25 fish--the biggest being about 10 inches--It was FAB!----The best aspect of getting older is,you find within yourself the ability to know when you are in the midst of something special.To be there,by myself,catching trout,somewhere in the Smokies,becomes good ,personal moments.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:14 PM

Default Re: Abrams--Tremont---Roaring Fork--June 27,28,200

Great report. You didn't happen to check the water temp on Abrams did you?
I haven't fished Roaring Fork in some time. I fished up at Grotto Falls back in the late nineties when we had drought conditions. That wasn't too smart, since roaring fork is small without drought conditions. I'm glad you did have a good time.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:20 AM

YOU KNOW, ROARING FORK IS JUST A NICE LITTLE STREAM TO FISH AND TO MAYBE C@R A FEW BOWS. THEY WILL TRY TO EAT ALMOST ANY BUG THEY SEE.
Old 07-04-2006, 01:35 PM

I could not believe the type of action I found on Roaring Fork--There were no other fisherman(that I could see)--It is a small stream--I counted 9 fish in one small pocket--I think you could have thrown a corn cob,and let it float down a bit,a you would have got a strike--at times,8 to 10 foot casts would take a fish--the fish seemed healthy--there was dark,green shade-rain forest style.The water was cooler than Abrams and Tremont--would suggest at 6ft'ish rod--things get cramped at times--Was using 7 1/2 ft leader--I wish it had been shorter--If this was a fluke--then so be it--It was great fun--I read about Roaring Fork at a book store--in a SMNP Fishing handbook--the writer classified this little urban strean as "very good"---I think it is very good--Would like to read any other Roaring Fork stories--also tell me about leaders,tip.size etc.--plan to try RF again in the early fall-It is a strange little stream surrounded by blacktop--If you are looking for serenity--you've got it on Roaring Fork as long as the sounds of moving vehicles,kids crying,dogs barking,Harley's popping,doesn't bother you.