Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-20-2006, 02:03 PM

Default Re: Delayed Harvest on the Little River

I think the idea of having a DH on the Little in Townsend is a great Idea. The biggest issue I believe is accessibility. Much of the land is private property, and would be a great concern to me if I was a landowner on the river. If it came to a vote, I don't know that it could pass given this fact. I hate to sound like a pessimist, but I don't see enough public access at pesent to make a DH work though town. SOme one help me out if there is a public asset I am unaware of.

AA
2Timothy2:15
Old 07-20-2006, 02:25 PM

AA, you're right, access is limited as a whole and I agree with you about the land owner deal, too. TWRA does stock this water, though. They could easily yank this privilege. I view the towns around the smokies as a public entity seeing how tourism is the bread winner. If people moved there to get away from people then they moved to the wrong place. Something like this has the potential to help the town.

What I'm concerned about is the fact that these land owners deal with tubers all summer long. If a DH does happen then these people won't get much relief in the winter either. That may pose a problem. I'd like to know how many full time residents that own land on the river. I would think that most are second homes and business operations.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:49 PM

Perhaps the land owners could use it as a means of income by selling daily passes for access on/through their property or maybe a (hopefully small) fee of that type could be attached to a daily permit kind of like they sell in Cherokee?

Mike
"Fly-fishing has many attributes, but none more pleasing than it's ability to liberate the young boy that still hides within me and to let that boy live again without embarrassment or regret, sorrow or anguish." Harry Middleton
Old 07-21-2006, 12:01 AM

I'll throw in my probably unpopular opinion. Generally, I'm not fond of fishing for stocked fish. Little River is already a pretty good river. When you put a bunch of stockers in there, they compete, and to some extent, will adversely affect the wild population. The idea of fishing for stockers seems to me like fishing at the hatchery. I've seen times on the North Fork Mills River in NC where there were so many large, stupid brookies that you could have just started grabbing them with your hands and throwing them into your pickup truck. Fishing for those makes me feel like I've picked up a prostitute.

Not that I'm against all stocking. For tailwaters where the natural flow and natural warm-warmwater fishery have been destroyed, making an artifical put-and-take fishery may be the only way to make good on a bad situation. I do like the idea of DH for some rivers, namely those with extremely heavy pressure (like Gatlinburg), and for those with marginal trout habitat anyway. Stocking fish is not something to ever be done lightly.

Now, if we are talking strictly about DH, without the usual stocking, then I would be all for that. But I am not aware that it has even been done that way anywhere around the Smokies. Anyone else know?

Old 07-22-2006, 12:42 PM

snaildarter,

They already stock this area. We are not talking about stocking the Park. What we are proposing is that TWRA put a DH designation on the LR through Townsend during the cooler months. There are a lot of advantages to stocking. More fish in the river, good way to get new fishermen envolved because of catch rates (kids), more money for the town, etc. Another thing of note, the Little River through Townsend is marginal, warming to fatal levels in the summer. Rivers such as this are the reason many DH waters exist (like pmike pointed out.) And some, like the Nantahala DH, bring in much wanted business in an otherwise dead part of the year.

Keep this in mind, we wouldn't have any browns or 'bows in the Park without the stocking efforts way back when.
Old 07-22-2006, 11:22 PM

RF,

You are right. Didn't realize yall were talking about only the part below the Park. Sorry about my misunderstanding. I agree with you that that would be a good use of DH.

As for your last point, about the bows and browns. Well yes, I enjoy fishing for them. But no, I wouldn't support elimination of the brookies that were there to begin with. Well, maybe on a few selected streams, so long as the majority of the brookie populations remained healthy.

Old 07-23-2006, 12:38 PM

No need to apologize, SD. I figured you may have been confused on where we were talking about.

I wouldn't have supported the elimination of the brookies, either. But, I don't think most of the sections that support browns and rainbows can support brookies these days. Winter being the exception.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:40 PM

Does anyone know where this issue stands? I'm asking because I have no idea. It may have been said in a prior post, if so, forgive my overlooking it, but who is heading up this effort and what assistance,if any, do they need at this point? If anyone has an update, let us know so we can help. I know Byron said to talk with Herb, so I'll drop him a PM about this. Thanks for your help and Pray for rain.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:15 AM

One more thing to consider. It's not just land owners generically…it’s the land owners where the fish are. I’ve fished other DH streams and typically the fish stay where stocked or only migrate a short distance and then pod up and stay there. Access, not just from land owners, but from topography as well, should be considered. If we put delayed harvest signs out…we may want to consider putting out “take a number” machines as well.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:29 PM

i think a DH would be a great idea. for those of you out there who have kids like me and are tying to get them involved in fly fishing,this would help alot. i would rather fish for wild trout too, but a DH would make it more enjoyable for newcomers to the sport, and kids who would rather be hanging out with friends.

Tight lines,
TW