Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Meet the New Members > New Members Board

Old 07-06-2006, 11:18 AM

Default Visit Townsend

Hi Fisherman,

I'm Herb Handly, EVP of Smoky Mountians Convention and Visitors Bureau. My job is to make sure that our visitors to Townsend have a great experience while they visit the area.

If there is any thing that we can do to help out of town visitors find their way around town or around the Great Smoky Mountains National Park please let us know. Our visitor center in Townsend is open 7 days a week if you need information or help.

I can be reached at 865-448-6134 most any day.....unless I have gone to the stream....which can be often.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:10 PM

Default Re: Visit Townsend

Herb,

Thanks for joining our message board and visiting the site. *This message board has been up for only six months but you will see that there is a huge amount of activity from fly fishermen who visit Townsend. *Check out the posts about the Delayed Harvest Idea. Keep up the good work buddy!

Byron
Old 07-07-2006, 08:06 AM

Welcome Herb. I always loves the visits to Townsend and the Smokies. I different thread going on the forum relates to the potential for a delayed harvest program of fishing the Little River through Townsend during the winter months. Since tourism does drop off after Fall, a delayed harvest program could be a draw to Townsend during the winter months.

What can be done to get agreement with Townsend and Blount County to move forward on such a program?
Old 07-07-2006, 03:50 PM

Howdy "Welcome Townsend",

Just writing for a couple of reasons, One being to express my condolences to you for having such a miserable job, what a burden to struggle under . (Just pulling your leg a bit)

My next reason for posting is to ask if the Convention and Visitors Bureau has ever considered the possiblity of hiring an assistant for you, perhaps on older (50ish) minister with an incredible love for the area. Maybe an official fishing Chaplan who could fish the better part of every day and report in as to fishing and traffic conditions at various places by radio. In the coldest part of winter I could hang out at LRO and talk to visitors or pester the staff with endless questions about flies, rods, etc. I would love to apply for the job if so and we can discuss salary later .

In closing let me simply say welcome to the board and that along with everyone else, I look forward to your participation and posts. Let me also say thanks in advance for your efforts to improve what to me is one of the most beautiful places with the most gracious folks on earth!

Mike
"Fly-fishing has many attributes, but none more pleasing than it's ability to liberate the young boy that still hides within me and to let that boy live again without embarrassment or regret, sorrow or anguish." Harry Middleton
Old 07-30-2006, 09:25 AM

I know this is a little late, but welcome to the board. My Fiance and I have been visiting the smokies for 5 years but have only started staying in the Townsend area just this spring ( It apprears that this is the only place we will be staying when we visit now). Can you give some advise on attractions during August......we were planning on being there Aug 2-6 but work may have pushed that back to 3rd week of Aug.

Regardless, our interests are fly fishing ( LRO has our attention here), hiking and lots of photography.....we also like the historical aspects of the places we visit ( especially the 1800's)

One last thing, were are starting to concider purchasing some land that would serve as our retirement home.....any connections in this area would be appreciated also....

good fishing.....
buckeyetrouter
Jeremiah 29:13
Old 08-03-2006, 03:39 PM

Herb;

Just got back from Townsend.... BIG SUGGESTION for God's sake turn on the AC!!! We've been coming up there for over 20 years, but this is the first time in the summer. We brought our kids from Texas so they could have some relief from the heat.... WRONG.

Fortunately, they managed to tube their brains out on Little River and enjoy themselves... so there is always something positive! Staff at the visitors center were wonderful as usual... keep up the good work. Between your folks and LRO the fly fishers amoungst us really have no complaints about Townsend.

Ralph & Basye Shuey
Huntsville, AL

Old 08-03-2006, 04:07 PM

Hi Herb. Are you the Herb Handley that went to West High School in the 60's ? If you are and want to catch up on old times and fish a little send me an e mail. v.bruner@pembertontrucklines.com