Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 05-15-2006, 10:39 AM

Default Southwest Colorado

I just got a job in southwest Colorado for the summer. I am hoping that I will be able to get some fishing in so I wanted to get some recommendations on good fly shops to start out at. I believe that I will be based in the Gunnison vicinity. Also, if anyone has hiked into the Gunnison in the Black Canyon NP, I would be very interested in hearing about your trip!

David Knapp
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 05-30-2006, 01:24 PM

Default Re: Southwest Colorado

If Pleasure Park is not running flatbottoms up the river, cross small river just east of campground, and head upstream on the trail. There is also a trail on the south side of the Gunnison, but I am not too familiar with the particulars. You can catch good trout within sight of PP, but the farther upstream you can get, the better it is. August and hoppers/crickets is great. There is camping, but unless PP can run you up there, have to carry it all in. Are some outfitters that can square you away.
Have also fished the Mesa Lakes. Butz is boom or bust; I imagine they are all like that.
I understand it is possible to hike into the canyon, but from what I have heard, it is a bridge too far for this old Ranger. Is a good outfitter in Ridgeway; there are some streams in that area, and also some small lakes. We fished the tailwater out of Silver Jack Reservoir.
In any event, you will be in a great place.
Watson
Old 05-30-2006, 05:34 PM

Thanks a bunch for the advice! I just found out I'll probably be leaving in the next week or two and am really hoping to be able to get some fishing time in once I get out there. I'll definately tie up some hoppers to use. Thanks again!

David Knapp
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Old 06-01-2006, 10:08 PM

Hello,

I hiked down into the Black Canyon to fish the Gunnison in 1998 when I was working for the Forest Service as a seasonal for tmy first forestry job. I entered the canyon via SOB draw, which is on the north side. I did it solo, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else since once you get down there you most likely will be the only one on that stretch of the river. It was one of the coolest things places I have been in my life. The canyon and river are awesome, I fished from the bank, as the current was so strong that I was leary of getting washed away with no help in site. I could see nice browns and bows waiting for a morsel to come their way. I caught several fish, one nice rainbow before a severe thunderstorm hit and turned the water muddy in no time. I took shelter under a ledge while thunderbolts were hitting on the top of the canyon. One day I will get back that way, and try the Gunnison again, but I don't think I'll be crazy enough to go it alone There is lots of goodwater in that portion of Colorado, and the West Fork of the Gunnison is another stream you may want to check out on your journey.

Good luck,

Neal
Old 06-01-2006, 11:17 PM

Pineman, you have a PM and thanks for sharing! That sounds like a very intense hike from everything I've been able to find about it. A couple friends of mine are also going to be working out there and they want to do some fly fishing so I think I'm going to try to convince them that climbing down into the canyon is really worth it . I'm all about working hard to get to fishing. I was in Arizona last year and hiked into some really steep canyons solo (probably wasn't a good idea in retrospect ) so the Gunnison sounds like a great challenge.

David Knapp

Old 07-09-2006, 09:07 PM

Plateu Angler, Your going to be around some great streams. South of Gunnison is the Lake Fork of the Gunnison. It's full of nice sized browns. Cebolla Creek and Henson Creek in the Lake City area are good choices for small to medium size streams. The Taylor River upstream from Gunnison is gold medal waters. If you make it to Lake City Colorado (55 miles south of Gunnison) stop in at the Sportsman's Fly shop and talk to Steve Wilson. He is a great guide. If you are still there the first two or three weeks of september the Kokanee Salmon run up the lake fork and the East River is a lot of fun. I'm going out the first two weeks of september. The best thing about that area is no crowds.