Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-12-2006, 06:31 AM

Default general flyfishing question...

I have been reading the Orvis fly fishing guide and while it has lots of information regarding the general techniques of fly fishing, I did not see anything regarding what is done after the line is cast.
Do I immediately pull the fly in and cast again, let it drift with current?
I hiked up little river trail this last weekend, about 2 miles up, and I tried both ways, the results were both the same, nothing, but it was a nice hike anyways. I guess that day I should have hiked up a bit further. :-/
Old 07-12-2006, 07:47 AM

Default Re: general flyfishing question...

Well, There are several different methods but generally speaking, if you fish dries upstream you will mend the line i.e. throw slack or throw line downstream in an arch in order to avoid drag on the fly.When the fly comes down towards you in upstream dry fly fishing you begin to take home line so you will have line control in case a fish takes and also so you will be able to throw your line in a new cast instead of having to do a lot of false casting. If you fish downstream with dries you have to constantly throw slack and or mend in order to avoid drag. Remember if you have drag on the fly, i.e. if the fly is skittering you won't catch anything 98% of the time. There are exceptions but they are rare. If you are nymphing you would do the same if you nymph upstream. If you are nymphing downstream with the old wet fly techniques you would slowly take home line as you let the nymph come float downstream to avoid drag. When the nymph comes to the end of the drift you can start slowly taking it home and you will probably get a strike if you didn't get one on the swing at the end. Hope this makes sense. If you are fishing close and are using what we call high sticking you basically only use the leader and maybe a foot or two of line. You are holding the rod high and following the line as it drifts downstream. Be ready for a quick strike and lift your rod immediately. These are some ways to fly fish others can tell you about more advanced techniques such as shooting the line and double haul.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:56 AM

minnow,
Don't worry about not catching any fish yet. I fished for about a year and only caught a few little bitty dinks. These fish were so small that i didn't know they were on until i started false casting and something felt wrong. Then I'd look at my fly thinking that i had some moss or something on it and low and behold there is a little bitty fish looking scared to death.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:59 PM

Minnow,

Generally you are going to let your fly drift with the current. That's what natural insects do and that's what the fish will be looking for. Look for the seams where fast water meets slow water and cast upstream along those seams. Strip in slackline as the fly drifts back to you. I'm simplifying things a bit here but it's a good place to start.
Your best bet would be to get an experienced angler to go fishing with you. He or she could shorten your learning curve quite a bit. Good luck!

Ty
Old 07-13-2006, 12:07 PM

Wow! I am begining to think this fly fishing stuff may be more compicated than bullhead fishing the little lakes in Nebraska.

Enjoy...Kodak