Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-12-2006, 06:12 PM

Default Roaring Fork

A week or two ago,I had good fishing on Roaring Fork.Monday my friend Ernest and son came to Roaring Fork for fishing.I think they are doing pretty good,using ants and copperjohns.They tried a couple of other park streams and did not have much luck--Is Roaring Fork a degree or two cooler than other streams in the park be cause of its relatively small size?Is the stream water slower to warm because of the radical drop of the stream,faster current with small pools?Is water temp. of the stream related to the way it lies wedged between tall banks making it actually take on a dusk-like darkness?I find this little stream interesting if not a diamond in the crown of streams in the park.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:54 PM

Default Re: Roaring Fork

You nailed it pretty much when you said the drop. It has one of the steepest drop in the shortest distance compared to most streams. The only one that can rival it would be West Prong of Little Pigeon as well as Road Prong. You are looking at streams that are beginning at an elevation of 5000 ft plus and with a descent down to 1000 or 1500 ft in less than ten miles on average. You do the math and you get the grade percentages. That's why you feel it in your legs the next morning after a day of fishing streams like that, especially if you are almost 40 like I am.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:27 AM

Quote:
........especially if you are almost 40 like I am. *
I don't want to hear no excuses Hans. You have always managed to keep up with me, (eventhough that isn't sying too much :-/)
Old 07-14-2006, 09:31 PM

Alright Russ! Are you gonna join me one of these days? I'm planning some new adventures for the rest of the season. Hope you are having a good time with the baby and such.