Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 07-17-2006, 09:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to MTN_TRT
Default Re: Fly rods to kill for--made for the Smokies

A 10ft rod in the mountains!?! Shoot, I often hit the Holston w/ my 8ft 4wt ....uhhh does that make me crazy? Maybe. Well, we're all a little bit crazy, right?

MTN_TRT
"LIFE IS GOOD"

www.cameracoffeeadventurego.blogspot.com
Old 07-18-2006, 11:29 AM

MTN,
You should try one out if you get a chance. Good length for both taiwaters and mountain streams. Seriously.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:03 PM

Hello,

I have a 9' 3 weight that I built this winter with a kit from H & H. I haven't used it much in the smokies yet, but I had a good day fishing on the Mad River back in my home state of Ohio. The extra length made for some good drifts with a small nymph, while allowing 8-12 brownies and bows to give a good account of themselves. I can see where the extra length will come in handy in the smoky streams since it can be difficult to get a drag free float on those types of streams with a shorter rod.

Have fun!

Neal
Old 07-18-2006, 09:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to MTN_TRT

RFowler,
I actually was looking at a new rod (kinda smallie/trout deal) I might go w/ a 9 but since you mention it I might tack a little extra length to that. I fish some small streams (like "step across drainages ditches") for wild brookies and bows; I might pack a longer rod in next time. . Yeah, Ill give that a try. Good fishin' to ya!

MTN_TRT
"LIFE IS GOOD"

www.cameracoffeeadventurego.blogspot.com
Old 07-20-2006, 01:24 PM

Generally speaking, I find an 8' 4wt, mediem action, with a good DT line will cover the whole spectrum of smokies fishing. If you want to feel the fish, get ya a bamboo or decent glass rod! The beauty of Bamboo is that they allow alot more of a wrist action in the cast, which helps immensely when under tight canopies.

AA
2Timothy2:15
Old 07-21-2006, 08:41 AM

RFowler,

I have been tempted to use a 10 footer and now, by God, I am going to do just that! I have often been tempted to take my 9 footer and tie on a 7 1/2 foot 5x leader on the tip top and not even take fly line. I am sure that I would be able to reach 90-95% of the areas that I normally fish. As I am sure you are well aware, it's about stealth and fly placement. Fly line makes it to tempting to reach out too far on these mountain streams!

Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
- Henry David Thoreau
Old 08-05-2006, 03:43 PM

im gonna cast my vote for my 7'9 5wt white river fly rod. this is the best thing for me cause i cant spend 600 dollars on a fly rod.(nothing against those who do). i think it handles good. i wouldnt know tho it replaced a rod from t.j. maxx that weighed about 10 pounds. but it caught trout tho a few out west.sry if i offended anybody.
tight lines
the kid
Old 09-26-2006, 12:46 AM

I use several rods in the smokies, all are Scott g's. And I'm keeping them!
8' 3wt for the high country or west prong LR. 8' 4wt for middle (4 piece) or packing in to Hazel for the weekend. 8-8" 5 wt for Little River below Elkmont or maybe for Hazel as well, it has back bone to handle a large fish, if I manage to stick one. If water is high, and I am throwing alot of lead, I want a 6 wt. 8-8", maybe even a 9' - 6wt with sinking line. They're all perfect for the moment........... for me! Glass or bamboo if it makes you feel good, better feel than graphite?!
I'm for buying American in Fly rods and reels, about one a year unless my wife blinks!
Tight lines,
Old 10-09-2006, 01:40 PM

I own several rods from 3wt. up to 8wt. I personally feel the best small to med. size stream fly rod made is the Orvis Superfine 7/11 4wt. It is a slow rod that loads easily for short cast to pocket water but is very accurate out to 40ft. It is made for dry flies but I can high stick as well. A 6"-12" trout feels like a 2 pounder. I only wish I hadn't wasted money on all those foreign made new kid on the block fly rods. This is truly a Smokies fly rod to kill for.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:56 PM

I love superfines--had a 7'4wt that did fine--until I let a friend borrow it-he broke it (car doored it)--Orvis asked what happened =--I told the truth about my friend and the cardoor--They would not fix it cause warranty was in my name--and he broke it--that ended our relationship--bought a winston--