Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-06-2006, 11:12 AM

Default Delayed Harvest on the Little River

Following Bryon's lead on the fishing report, what does eveyone think about the potentials for a delayed harvest program for the winter months? I know that part of the problem involves the enforcement side during the harvest period. Would like to hear some others input.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:49 PM

Default Re: Delayed Harvest on the Little River

I've thought one would do well there for years. I believe it would be a good draw in the slow season. I think it would be tough to do, though. But, Gatlinburg does one on the Little Pigeon. So, why not the Little River? Get it past the locals that like keeping fish year round and I think it could be a winner.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:28 PM

For me, the idea is a good one, possibly great. Being local, I would help out in any way possible as long as it would not turn out like the Clinch on some Saturday mornings- shoulder to shoulder fishing.

What I would like to know is who's authority this would fall under. *Also, who would fund the "control" of this stretch of stream? *Would it be a TWRA expense? *Could a 'private' chapter of 'whatever organization' supplement TWRA's budget and have this $ allocated to cover the expense of extra manpower needed? *Would a new entity need to be formed to help enforce the new regulations? *Maybe a special permit to fish this section could help fund itself.

I know, too many questions, but maybe if we all come together on this and help work out all the particulars, we can see this wish made into a reality somewhat quicker than if only a few try to tackle this.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:51 PM

I like the permit idea, Sage. G'burg has a $2.50 a day permit to fish their water. Though its easier for them seeing how they have their own hatchery. I would think this would be a city issue with local business's being involved in the project. I don't think we're talking about a lot of cash other than the fish being stocked. I think a stocking budget of 5-$10,000 would be more than enough to keep fish in the river. It would be up to local LE to make sure everyone is legal.

My concern with a DH is local land owners dealing with fishermen on their river banks and such. Kind of like the tubers. I don't think they would mind as long as the fishermen stayed in the riverbed. I can't see anything else holding it back. Winter is usually the only time land owners along the LR don't deal with crowds. Although, the way I see it, Townsend is a tourist town. First and foremost.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:41 PM

Thanks to everyone for bringing up this topic. Sorry I haven't been on the message board. I've missed it. We're slammed here at the store. I was in a meeting with TWRA about a year ago concerning a delayed harvest program like the one in Gatlinburg. There is a group of local people who think this is a good idea. There are others who don't. TWRA is all for it if there is a positive consensus among the landowners on the river. The city of Townsend is one one side of the river and Blount County is on the other. We have a new member today named Visit Townsend. His name is Herb Handley and he posted in the new member section. He does an excellent job as EVP of the Smoky Mountain Convention and Visitors Bureau. He gave his phone number in his post. His office is at the Townsend Visitors Center. I think he would like to hear from you about this subject. In fact I talked to him today about it. He is a good friend and also a fly fisherman.

Byron
Old 07-07-2006, 09:16 AM

I can really see the major roadblock to the idea being from the law enforcement side. This would require a cooperation between Townsend/Blount County and TWRA. I do like the permit idea but it has to be something that can be used in conjunction with the TN fishing license, since their license period runs from 3/01 to the subsequent 2/28, and there will undoubtedly be the objections to paying "double" fees. The entire idea should be a draw, especially for the fisherman to Townsend during a normally low volume time of the year.

Old 07-07-2006, 11:10 AM

Byron,
This may be a good idea to get it pushed by the land owners. Let the land owners have a permit for the duration of the DH. That way they are covered at no expense to them. But, they must have a current TN fishing license and trout stamp.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:53 PM

At the risk of looking stupid :-?(remember I am a "Newbie") may I ask someone to explain what "delayed harvest" is?

Kodak

Old 07-09-2006, 11:15 PM

Simply put DH or Delayed Harvest is a system in which a "season" is established with specific rules that prohibit any harvest of fish while the season or rules are in effect. All fishing is essentially catch and release until the season or "DH" ends at which point fish may be kept or harvested according to the regular creel limits set for that region.

Having such a season enables fish to be stocked that are in some cases a bit larger as well as the fish that are caught and released to remain and grow larger, not to mention a bit smarter. This in turn helps provide for a greater opportunity for those who participate or fish during "DH" to experience better success in terms of numbers and size of fish that are available to be caught.

Some states will use waters or rivers that are marginal trout water for "DH". For example a river that is too low in elevation thus perhaps too warm to maintain a trout population during the summer but can sustain them well during the fall or winter, may be stocked during the fall and winter for "DH" and later in the year such as late spring it may be opened for harvest.

Mike
"Fly-fishing has many attributes, but none more pleasing than it's ability to liberate the young boy that still hides within me and to let that boy live again without embarrassment or regret, sorrow or anguish." Harry Middleton
Old 07-13-2006, 12:21 PM

Hey Mike:

Thanks for the info on DH. I have a thought about enforcement. I think 98% of the people who love to fish for the sport of it will honor the DH signs without any enforcement. I wonder though about preventing any harvesting for the numerous "poor" folk in our area who depend somewhat on those fish to feed their families. I know this would reduce the averall effect of DH, but would probably still accomplish most of what we are trying to do.

Enjoy....Kodak