Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 09-24-2006, 02:56 PM

Default Orange Caddis

Is the occasional orange looking caddis I seem to spot now and then here in TN the same as the fabled Orange (october caddis) Sedge from the Pacific Northwest? Info anyone?
Old 09-25-2006, 09:32 AM

Default Re: Orange Caddis

I know a lot of people, myself included refer to that caddis as an October Caddis. However, I remember reading somewhere that it is NOT the same bug. Unfortunately I can't remember where I read that. I'll see if I can find it somewhere. In my Smoky Mountain Hatch guide, the large fall caddis is referred to as a Ginger Caddis if that helps any.
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 09-26-2006, 07:51 AM

Sure does!

That's what I was thinking. The Orange Caddis from the pacific northwest seem to be a real big hatch and I haven't seen that around here. I was just curious.

Thanks

Old 09-26-2006, 08:49 AM

Hans, the Tan Caddis that you have seen from time to time in the Smokies has been refered to as the Giant Tan Caddis, the October Caddis, Cinammon Caddis, Orange Sedge, and probably some other names. It is very prevalent in almost all of the streams of the Smokies. The reason that you've not seen the large hatches of them is because they do not hatch very much until after dark. Try driving into some of the campgrounds that are right beside the streams after dark and see how large numbers of them are drawn to lantern lights. I can't really say if they are the same insect that is in the Northwest, but fish really like them and it is one of their major staples to get ready for the winter.
Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.
P.S. I hope those allergies are calming down.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:47 PM

Hugh!

Thanks for your reply. Yes I'm feeling a lot better thanks. I fished up Bradley Fork last Saturday in the rain. I had two buddies with me and we did alrighth. It was kind of interesting also, we had a bear encounter and later on we found the reason for it. A group of hunters had lost a tick hound over in Big Cove the night before and this dog was now chasing a black bear who was running up the hill like crazy. We encountered the dog later on on the trail and we managed to get it to follow us down to Smokemont where we gave it over to a ranger. A very interesting day in the hills.

I'm glad you are back on here again Hugh. I see your posts over at Rocky's board but not much over here anymore.