Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 08-11-2006, 11:01 PM

Default Best Places to Fly Fish

I am going to apply for the Make-A-Catch Foundation which sends kids and teenagers like me, with life threatining illnesses on a fishing or hunting trip, and im gonna try to go on the fishing trip and go fly fishing.
And was wondering if anybody could tell me the some of the best places in the United States to go Flyfishing? This would be real help.
Old 08-12-2006, 11:56 AM

Default Re: Best Places to Fly Fish

Hey 15,

Where to begin? There are so many choices and so many opinions on this subject you could probably spend all your time just trying to wade through it objectively. I think it's everyone's dream to find the perfect stream, be on it at the perfect time, and drift to that perfect fish. Few get the chance. I sincerely hope you do. * A great place to start is with John Ross' TU's Guide to America's 100 Best Trout Streams. This very informative book gives great briefs on all the top streams, with detailed maps, descpriptions of the best spots, and local numbers for information. It's great reading and you can get one for about $16 at Amazon. While you're waiting to actually hit those streams, you might want to pick up some reading that will almost take you there, without actually going. Some great reading can be found in the pages of Thomas McGuane, The Longest Silence and John Gierachs Trout Bum. Wherever you decide to go, enjoy. *

justfishing
<'))))><

Jeremiah 29:11
Old 08-12-2006, 02:12 PM

If I had to pick one area to spend the rest of my life fishing, it would be the greater Yellowstone area. There are some incredible rivers in that area that you can do a float on as well as plenty of smaller streams and lakes. Any kind of water you could want as well as several different kinds of trout all exist in that area.
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 08-13-2006, 11:25 AM

I would agree with plateau angler. I think you just can't beat the Yellowstone area. You can pick your type of fishing depending on your mood for the day. My first trip there was simply amazing, if not completely overwhelming with choices.

Dude
Old 08-13-2006, 03:33 PM

15 year old
If i had to pick it would definitely be the yellowstone or henrys fork area. the firehole is a blast to fish in june during the pmd hatch, but thats the only place ive really fished out west but its GREAT. i hope you enjoy your trip.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:20 PM

Can we all just move to Bozeman from about May until October? * 8-) * The area from Bozeman and down to the park would also give us the opportunity to fish the Gallatin and Madison, as well as the Snake and Yellowstone. That's a real dream *

justfishing
<'))))><
Old 08-13-2006, 09:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to MTN_TRT

Quote:
A great place to start is with John Ross' TU's Guide to America's 100 Best Trout Streams.
Id go with justfishing on that one. There are a whole lotta places to cast a fly in America, and alot arent mentioned in the book. (But my local mountain stream is!! Come on up here!) Anyways, if youre not limited to the continental US, Id consider looking at Alaska. Ive always wanted to fish in Alaska. I will also vouch for everyone else's suggestions: Yellowstone, Bozeman, and you could always head to the Catskills and fish those classic dries . Ahhh........ So many tout, so little flies

MTN_TRT
"LIFE IS GOOD"

www.cameracoffeeadventurego.blogspot.com
Old 08-27-2006, 04:29 PM

Alaska, New Zealand, Patagonia. Those are my dream destinations. Plus I wouldnt mind hitting the Snake sometime or anywhere in the Cascades when the Salmon are making their run up stream.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:19 PM

Don't overlook saltwater. It aint all about trout.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:36 AM

hey 15,i`d have to back up fowler,i`ve never flyfished in the saline solution but have fished small artificals,light spinning equip. and 8lb line and caught some fun game fish.there something to be said about the whole saline environment too.
dalefish