Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 06-19-2006, 11:23 AM

Default Madison River this September...

Hi, All!

What flies have you successfully used on the Madison in September?? I hope to fish there around the 2nd to the 10th. ...would also like to hear that a 7 foot 5 wt cane rod will do the trick out there ... If not, what rod/line configurations should I take?

I am currently studying this video ... http://www.yellowstonenationalpark.c...flyfishing.htm

Thanks!

best ones!
dan
Old 07-21-2006, 12:20 AM

Default Re: Madison River this September...

I don't think a 7' 5-wt cane rod is sufficient. That is big water with big fish and big flies and big wind. I think something like a 9', fast, 6- or 7-wt would be much better. Not that it can't be done with your 7-footer, but be prepared to be frustrated somewhat.

I haven't fished it in September, so not much help there. If it is warm and windy, hoppers and beetles can work well. Regardless, that area is beautiful; and you will have fun. Be prepared for the weather; it might be 80 degrees or you might get snowed on.

Good luck
Old 07-21-2006, 08:56 AM

Thanks!

dlf
Old 08-11-2006, 12:33 AM

I just returned from 8 days in Montana that included a full day on the Madison near Ennis. We caught browns and one rainbow, all 16" to 19", and lost a couple much larger; and we caught one rainbow of 18"--most on an X-Caddis. We often fished two dries at once: an X-Caddis and a Parachute Adams, size 16 or 14 and with the second fly tied as if a dropper about 18-24" off the bend of the first fly. The hoppers or hoppers with a dropper just were not producing as we expected they would.

My 8'6" 5wt. does fine but my friend's 9' 6wt. handles the brutal winds better. I doubt that your 7' 5wt. cane will be enough rod.

The Madison is an amazing stream and you will enjoy the experience. It also is a long stream that is very different near the park (where your shorter rod will work) from what it becomes as it gets down around Ennis. I could spend a lifetime on that one river and not grow weary of it. But then, Montana has an endless supply of interesting streams.

Old 08-23-2006, 04:36 PM

I just returned from vacation to Yellowstone on Saturday. The Madison outside of the park is fishing very good on hoppers and para ant patterns.
The wind in the Madison river valley and also in the Lamar river valley is very,very strong and I definitely recommend a fast 5 or 6wt rod. You can rent an outfit in West Yellowstone flyshops but what better excuse to get a new rod at LRO to add to your arsenal! Good luck!