Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-09-2006, 07:43 AM

Default Cataloochee

Got some time off from work next week, so I thought I would pack up the camper and head to the other side of the park. However I need a little help. First whats the best way to get to Cataloochee? Also what are some streams to fish? Also plan on doing some hiking what are some of the nice trails? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:10 AM

Default Re: Cataloochee

Phoneman, depending on which direction you will be coming from will be the determining factor as to how to get to Cataloochee. Let's say you are coming from Tenn. on I-40. You will take the Maggie Valley exit to the right. Just as you are ending the exit ramp you will turn again to the right and follow the signs to Cataloochee Cove. This will require you to make one turn to the left about 1/2-3/4 mi.? down the road and stay to the right on the rest of the way up the mountain. After getting back to the bottom of the mountain on the other side and in the Cove, you will bear to the left and it will bring you to the campground. From this point on you will come to several different hiking trails that are located all thru the Cove. Many of them are good and several are horse trails, so be prepared for this. Take plenty of supplies with you because it's a long way in and out to a store.
Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:40 AM

Guess I should have mentioned I will be coming from maryville.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:02 PM

FROM THAT AREA YOU CAN DRIVE OVER TO COSBY AND TAKE 32 OVER TO NC. AND THE BIG CREEK VALLEY THEN TAKE THE GRAVEL PATH ABOUT 15 MILES OVER TO THE CATALOOCHEE. LIKE THE OTHER GENTLEMAN SAID TAKE YOUR SUPPLIES. LOOK FOR THE ELK
Old 08-21-2006, 09:21 PM

Phoneman,
I am heading to Cataloochee this Friday afternoon and staying through till Saturday evening. Did you have any luck when you were there? Also, how crowded was it? I have heard that some of the older locals like to have their family reunions there in the month of August...

TR

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 08-22-2006, 12:12 PM

Chem,
It was not that bad as far as crowds go. There were around 10-12 people in the campground, but for some reason it did not seam crowded in the campground. Maybe thats because I didnt stay there much. The fishing was not great but it is august. It was my first time up there and it was absolutly beautifull. I had real good look on a stimulator, and a bead head pheseantail. The only reunion that I know about is the old cataloochee reunion and they had that last sunday. If you have never been it is a great place, if you want to take a day away from fishing go and hike boogerman trail. It is a very nice trail with lots of virgin forests. Also check out the elk. If I have forgotten anything or you have anymore questions please ask. One more thing make sure and take all you need you are about 45 minutes from a quicky mart.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:55 AM

Thanks Phoneman. Just got back from the weekend camping trip. Cataloochee is absolutely beautiful. We were fishing with elk roaming all around us. My buddy completed a slam on Saturday with a 9.5 inch bow and an amazing 7.5" brookie, and a few small browns. I had a brown on that was close to 10", and when I bent over to net it, it flipped over and out popped the hook. I am already making my plans to go back there the last weekend in Sept. I went with four other people, and all of us had our licenses checked at random locations and times. It makes me feel good that they really are trying to keep the system healthy. We had numerous people ask us about fishing in there and how easy it would be to use live bait.

All in all, it was a good weekend. The water temps down in the valley are still a little high, and the fish were not very active down low. We all used a green weenie at some point, but no fish came on it. No hatches of significant size could be seen coming off. About 90% of the fish caught we taken on a BHPT.

I could not believe how isolated this area was. I took exit 451 and had to drive the 16 mile gravel road, and only passed one car the whole way. As I was leaving yesterday, I went out via exit 20 in NC, and only passed three cars the entire drive. It is good to have a place where one can camp and fish and actually be at peace doing so. I forsee many more trips to Cataloochee. Wonderful streams, plentiful trout, elk roaming freely, and the peacefulness that I commonly relate to the Smokies. I would compare it to Cades Cove without the traffic and only about 10% of the crowd.

Note to anyone going to Cataloochee: If you choose to take exit 451 allow for about one hour of travel time from the interstate. If you choose to take exit 20 the driving time is about 30 minutes, however the gravel portion is narrower and in much worse condition due to the campers and RV's making the journey up the mountain.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler