Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-21-2006, 12:38 PM

Default Re: Catch and Release or...

I usually turn them out, but invariably one will be hooked bad enough to look like a marginal candidate for survival, usually when take sub surface, as with wet or drowned dry. Those do make it back to camp for supper, or sometimes for breakfast if I get up really early and try my luck near the camp first. I always "poach" the trout in stream water that has boiled, as cleanup is so much easier than frying, and de-boning easier as well. Do not wipe off the "slime." Watson
Old 08-23-2006, 10:36 PM

Default Re: Catch and Release or...

Sieber,

You are almost right. You stated, "Biologically, it wouldn't matter if you harvested the big or small fish. The only limiting factor on fish growth is food." That's not correct. Genetics matters a lot. For example, you can have different strains of rainbows achieve a different average size given the same amount of limited food, just like you can have different sized people eating the same amount of food. Many biological factors can cause this.

And to take it further, when you have a relatively heavy amount of fishing pressure, you can change the gene pool to select for small fish if you only take out the large ones. This has been suggested as one of the reasons for the average decline in size of large mouth bass over the nation, and especially in Florida.

Back to the main point of this thread, yes, the biologists usually have it managed in favor of the "average" fisherman, and if they say you can keep a few fish, then feel free to do so. I usually don't.