Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-05-2006, 03:51 PM

Default Re: October patterns

Green Weenies and Beetles patterns are very effective. I usually fish them until I see a caddis hatch occuring.

Randy Sale
Old 09-05-2006, 07:32 PM

Kytroutbum,

Thanks for the response. I was hoping to hear they would still be effective in Oct. If you don't mind my asking are you dropping them below a dry, using a strike indicator or just adding some weight and dead drifting them?

Thanks, gary <*))))><
Old 09-05-2006, 07:58 PM

hey gary.....I have been tying my greens with a wrap of lead wire so they drop a bit and then drop them off of a stim.....

buckeyetrouter
Jeremiah 29:13
Old 09-05-2006, 10:32 PM

Hello buckeyetrouter,

Thanks for the helpful hint. You can bet that I'll be giving them a try about a month from now. I have fished the dropper rig before but usually struggle a bit keeping the tangles out of the rig. I got some valuable experience this summer casting this way and can't wait to try it out in the Smokies.

I'll tie a few with the fine lead wrap and see what happens.

Thanks and God bless you also, gary <*))))><
Old 09-05-2006, 11:28 PM

I tie mine with a light beadhead, so it dead drifts just before the surface. I'm usually fishing it up a ways in low water- in riffles. I use a small indicator bad eyes. I've decorated enough trees in the park with one fly at a time on the hook, let alone two. I've tried using nymphs off a dropper, but too many tangles and its not for me. When its time to fish terrestrials I usually do not fish lower streams(i.e. below Elkmont) due to water temp.so I'm not weighing it deep to fish deep.

NOW FOR SOME HERESEY!!!

Two suggestions- I tie a "fat bodied" version of a Renegade (as a dry beetle) that works extremely well in situations where I can not visually follow a beetle. Brown hackle one end, white on other end and built up peacock herl body in middle. Works great along quiet walkways between sugarlands and chimmeys when it gets into dark areas. *

Also I've been playing with a different version of green weenie. Beadhead with a chartruese vernille tied San Juan worm style. Both ends singed and one end *inside of bead tied on #12 Aberdeen hook. *The verdict is still out but I think it is just as effective as Traditional Green Weenie . I might convert to Green Weenie-V.2 next year. *:-/

Randy Sale
Old 09-06-2006, 06:57 AM

hey Randy.....do you have a pic of your new version of the green weenie....

good fishing &
God Bless

buckeyetrouter
Jeremiah 29:13
Old 09-06-2006, 09:59 AM

Its really simple. I'll try to post one. It'll may take a few days. I'm extremely computer illiterate and also packing to spend a couple weeks in Maine on the West Branch of the Penobscot and Baxter Park area. Retirement is awlful, I just hope we can keep the price of the gas down. If I was visiting my son on the NY/VT border I couldn't go.

Randy Sale
Old 09-06-2006, 11:05 AM

Hi Randy,

I have the same problem fishing the dropper technique and really don't like using it. It seems I spend more time untangling messes than I do fishing. I also have the same problems following anything subsurface without using an indicator. I like the idea of a beadhead over wrapping lead on the hook so I may just have to tie a few of them that way before heading down from Indiana. I have a few Renegades I can try also.

To be honest I really prefer using dry flies all the time but I also know it isn't always the best method. That Maine trip sounds interesting. We got to take our first, but hopefully not last, trip to Alaska this year. Between the Smokies and that I have become spoiled.

I'll watch for a report on Green Weenie-V.2. Thanks for the advice and best wishes on your trip.

Regards, gary <*))))><
Old 09-07-2006, 11:45 PM

Would the same patterns work in the last week of Oct/1st of Nov.? I usually don't come down this late, but it just worked out that way this year.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:30 PM

is anyone out there familiar with a mohair leach fly? it's basically a woolly bugger pattern but instead of chenille you use mohair yarn and don't use hackle. pick out the fibers (i use a wire brush) to make it fluffy. the fluffier the better. i'm curious if that would work there in October. this will be my first trip there and i'm looking for some good flies to use. of course i will be going to LRO and depleting them of their inventory!

tight lines