Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-17-2006, 11:43 AM

Default Abrams at Little Bottom backcountry camp site

I am coming up Sept 15-18th. Last year my son and I biked the Cades cove loop then hiked into Little Bottoms. First time I backedpacked in about 25yrs. So, it goes without saying that I was not in to good of condition to do alot of fishing. :P Of course my 13 yr old son survied just fine. This year I am thinking about just hiking in and flyfishing form there up. Is it worth the effort? There was some great looking water, and I did fish some around the campsite enough to see why so many people give warnings about the slick rocks . I am assuming that green weenie and barbie bug, Parachute adams ect would be in the best flies. Any advice would help.
Old 08-17-2006, 02:13 PM

Default Re: Abrams at Little Bottom backcountry camp site

Good evening Vern. The water that you speak of is great water if the water temperature is not too high. That can happen at the time of the year that you're speaking of. In the section around and above Little Bottoms, you will find the creek not too rough. When you get up to Rabbit Creek you will soon find yourself in a gorge that you can't climb out of. You will have to fish all the way thru to the Falls. This is an all day event like the Big Horseshoe so choose your time well when you start. It is rough and dangerous in this section that I'm mentioning, (even more so than the Big Horseshoe), so have someone with you. You might want to have Giant Golden Stoneflies, Isonychias, and October Caddis patterns with you. If you can, try to make some pictures for us.
Good luck.
Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.
Old 08-17-2006, 02:20 PM

My son is just 14yrs old, new to wadding and flyfishing. I may have to rethink this. I am staying in Elkmont so i may just go up stream from there. I just realy enjoyed little bottoms area, not much crowd on that side.
I heard the at Abrams campground its mostly small mouth waters. How far up till you get to the trout waters.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:55 PM

Vern, there are trout all the way from the campground upstream. It is the warm water conditions that create a problem in catching them at that lowest altitude. You should be able to catch trout after you cross the ridge and come back to the creek on the Little Bottoms Trail. I would advise you to use nymphs to get down deeper and to fish the riffles. They will be staying where the oxygen levels are the highest. That's where their going to be at that time of the year.
Hugh
Old 08-18-2006, 09:01 AM

Thanks for the reply Hugh. I am still undecided, I may just end up going to Treemont and hiking up a couple miles.