Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-24-2006, 04:42 PM

Default Re: A few questions about Back Country Camping

Clean the fish while you are still in the stream. once you eat them, put the left overs or scraps in a plastic baggy or two and seal them up really tight and put them in your pack and hang it from the cable. The AT shelters that i have seen all have a chain link fence on the front of them that would keep out most critters. Now if a big enough bear wanted to get into the fence badly enough then you're just cornered . i'm messing with you about the bear
Old 08-24-2006, 04:49 PM

Always a hot topic on this and other boards...catch and release or eat a few.....a couple of those cold water bows eat pretty good while camping. Best way to cook them up there would be to wrap in foil with a lemon wedge, salt and pepper and bake over the fire. Wash out the foil and pack in your garbage bag....if your fire is big enough you can pretty much burn the bones...
Old 08-24-2006, 06:50 PM

Emp,

Thanks for posting this on the board. I must say I'm a city boy (and a bit of a scaredy cat, Hans can verify this!) and I had ruled out any back country camping, but the information here has opened the door for trying it. Please let us know how it goes...

Kevin
Old 08-24-2006, 08:51 PM

Don't forget toilet paper! If you have a small (very small) shovel for digging a cat-hole, that would be a useful item to bring. Take several plastic trash bags, they are extremely useful in the back country. Good for stuffing your wet fishing gear in for the hike out. Take a small flashlight like a mini mag light that you can hold in your mouth for hands-free work. Some parachute cord is also always useful. Matches and knife.
Ramen noodles are a cheap, light-weight back country meal, and only require boiling for preparation. Take a couple of water bottles as well.

Thats about all I can think of right now.
Have fun and be safe.

Andrew
Old 08-24-2006, 10:21 PM

Dont forget to read over the park rules for backcountry camping.
If you have an extra $60 pick up a Katadyn hiker / water filter cause it beats the heck out of boiling.
Cook the fish well and do be mindful of snakes.
I saw many copperheads two weekends ago.
Doing the snake dance can be very dangerous when you are backcountry alone.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:51 AM

Man keep the suggestions coming. This is exactly what I need.

I thought about bringing some tea but I thought it might actually have an adverse affect but now I am for sure going to take some tea bags.

Old 08-30-2006, 08:55 AM

Already got an update.

#24 was closed for bear activity. They said it was a very aggresive bear and they do not even recommend hiking on the Little River Trail.

I think I am going to go in at Abrams Creek. The lady at the help center (BTW she was very helpful) recommended a couple of sites on Abrams Creek.

I am really excited and have been packed for a couple of days now . When I got home and the message was that the site was closed kinda had me worried but now it looks like it is going to be fine.

I almost recommended a couple of my buddies that could take care of that bear problem but I thought that might be out of line.

Also any recommendations about fishing below Abrams Falls. Not directly below them but down stream a bit. Is this good fishing? Any recommendations.
Old 08-30-2006, 02:34 PM

I think the water in lower Abrams Creek would be too warm for trout. I've never done well down there however there is a good smallmouth fishery in Lower Abrams. Trout do run up there from Chilhowee Lake to spawn but they are usually gone in late Spring. A backcountry site that I like is number 18 on the West Prong of the Little River. You'll catch small trout but they are abundant. It's a short hike though, only 1.75 miles. You could take the ferry to Hazel Creek then hike up to the Sawdust Pile or farther. It's great.

Byron Begley
Old 08-30-2006, 03:29 PM

I think #18 and all the others in that area she said are closed. I asked about them.

How about just hiking up to the falls and fishing above them. Any luck?
Old 08-30-2006, 04:03 PM

Emp,

I sent you a PM about site #18. Check your inbox...

Kevin